• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Welcome to the Halmae (updated 2/27/07)

Trahnesi

First Post
Lurker and reader here, coming out of lurking to say that I'm really enjoying the story hour. (I'm just upset that I'm caught up... now I have to wait for updates like everyone else.)

Fajitas, I was wondering if you could answer a question regarding the religions in Halmae. You've said in the past:

Fajitas said:
There is general agreement, especially among those learned in religion, that the gods are abstract and unknowable. Thus, while you can quibble philosophy between orders, there's very little fundamentalism. The heads of the Churches all know that there are many correct interpretations. It's usually only the young and impetuous that consider other orders heretical. Especially since they can clearly cast holy smite at you.

Naturally, there are exceptions to this. No one but the Crossers really think that they're doing Kettenek's will.

Does anyone ever "fall from grace"? Normally games state that if you do things that "your god doesn't like", you lose your divine spellcasting abilities. Here, it looks like the Crossers are doing things that would be against Kettenek's desires, yet presumably they are able to cast animate dead.

I'm interested, because I'd like to yank this pantheon for a campaign I'm planning, and I like the lack of certainty that exists here. I'm just trying to figure out the boundries of knowledge about the gods and their desires.

Hm... I guess that also raises the question about commune - has anyone ever communed with Kettenek and asked him what he's like and what he wants?

Great story hour, and a fun campaign to read! Thanks!

spyscribe

First Post
Trahnesi said:
Lurker and reader here, coming out of lurking to say that I'm really enjoying the story hour. (I'm just upset that I'm caught up... now I have to wait for updates like everyone else.)

Hey Trahnesi, welcome aboard, glad you're enjoying the story hour. You will apparently have to keep waiting for Fajitas to answer your question, but at least the update is here.

Part the Eighty-Eighth
In which: we conduct some final business.

The party, along with Lord Agasha, his men, and Lord Fau Meen’s men spend a good week at the cave site in order to heal their wounds, make friends with Bob, and distribute magic items.

###

"Why me?" Eva asks, giving the desiccated hand Reyu holds out to her a very skeptical look.

Reyu is completely unruffled to be holding someone's hand without the rest of them in evidence. "It seems it would be most useful for one of your... trade."

Eva raises an eyebrow.

"If she doesn't want it, I do!" Kiara bounces over to see Annika and finds the discussion in progress. 'Mage hand is neat. You can use it to pick up rocks, or open doors across the room, or lift apples while the shopkeeper isn't looking or-"

Annika gives her "sister" a sharp look. "But you wouldn't. Would you?" It's not exactly a question.

Kiara stops bouncing. "Well..."

Lira saves her from having to answer. "Is it just me, or does that hand look elven?"

Reyu examines the object more closely. It's not just Lira. The druid's normally unimpeachable facade cracks just a hair.

Eva finally relents. "I'll try it." Speaking the command word Annika gives her, Eva uses the hand to lift a small rock. She's not sure which is more unnerving: that she is controlling the magical effect, or that as she concentrates, the fingers of the dead hand slowly curl until the index finger points accusingly.

Anvil walks over. "That thing is evil. Give it to me that I might destroy it."

Lira looks over in surprise. "It can't be that evil."

Anvil checks the aura again. She's right. It's not.

"Probably, using someone's hand to create something like that is an evil act, but the thing itself is isn’t inherently evil." Annika points out.

"Is it going to affect me?" Eva asks.

Annika considers carefully. "It shouldn't."

Anvil shrugs. "Fine then." He goes to confer with Lord Agasha about the horses. As he leaves, he notices the hem of his cloak slowly rising to shoulder height, and then returning to its normal position. It begins to rise again.

Anvil turns around to see Eva looking at him appraisingly. "Stop it," he says.

She considers a moment, and then slowly lets his cloak fall to rest on his shoulders.

Anvil turns to go on his way, ignoring the sound of smothered giggles behind him.

Less easy to ignore is the horn blast that comes a few moments later.

Anvil turns and stares in shock with the rest of the party at the creature which has suddenly appeared, standing in the snow.

The animal is larger than a horse, covered in a gray, tough skin, with four stumpy little legs. It has a large broad head and on the end of its nose is a short, but very sharp-looking horn.

Kiara slowly lowers the hollowed sheep's horn from her lips. "Wow," she whispers.

“Why did you do that?” Annika hisses.

“I wanted to see what we could summon,” Kiara tries to explain.

The creature paws the frozen ground a bit and snorts in the cold air. Everyone freezes.

Eva swallows and whispers to Reyu, "What is it?"

Although Reyu has never seen one before, she can make a good guess. "I believe it is called a rhinoceros. But they are normally found in much hotter climates."

Kiara can't take her eyes off the creature. "A rhino-saurus," she whispers. "Can I ride him?"

Reyu takes a very deliberate pause. "You can try."

Annika quickly adds, "But you're not going to."

Kiara tries whistling at the creature in bird, but it doesn't seem to speak Sylvan. Before any further experiments can be tried, the creature abruptly vanishes back to wherever it came from.

Despite repeated attempts, the horn does not summon any more strange monsters to the woodland glade. Finally Lord Agasha points out that despite Sheesak's death, the woods are still potentially filled with hostile creatures and perhaps advertising their position so blatantly is not the wisest course of action.

Lira takes custody of the horn for the time being at least.

Anvil wanders over. "Do you think you could use that to summon dire badgers?" he asks.

It probably wasn't an accident that Eva was within earshot of his question.

"Not funny," she calls back over her shoulder, glaring.

Anvil goes back to his business, smiling only a little.

###

As he walks away, Lord Agasha motions Anvil aside.

“Justicar,” he begins, “I was wondering if I might inquire about your travel plans.”

“We still need to seek out the archmage of the Kuio Valley. Although,” Anvil allows, “we have little idea where exactly the Kuio Valley is.”

Lord Agasha nods. “I am not familiar with a location by that name, however, from what you have told me of it, I think I know where you might be looking for. If you and your party accompany me back to Lord Fau Meen’s lands, I can obtain a map for your use.”

“That would be most helpful. I thank you.”

Lord Agasha acknowledges the thanks graciously. “It is small compensation for the debt we owe you.” He looks away for a moment, and Anvil is about to excuse himself, when Lord Agasha speaks again. “Justicar… If you are going to travel extensively in our lands, I wonder if I might offer you some advice that you and your companions might profit by it.”

Anvil nods. “Certainly.”

“Walk with me.”

###

Finally, the day of departure has arrived, and the party comes to their final task before leaving the site of Sheesak’s former stronghold for good. Although the removal of the strange magical capstone appears to have left the altar and standing stones ordinary and inert rock, the group has decided to take no chances. The bodies of the nine Sovereign peasants have been removed from their tomb and burned to prevent any chance of them rising once again. Out of respect for their beliefs, the ashes were then buried.

(Burial of the dead is a widespread custom throughout the Halmae, as Kettenek is revered as the lord of the dead, and earth is his element.)

After that, Reyu has been making daily trips into the caves, examining their structure, and using soften earth and stone to strategically weaken the roof of the cavern below the altar and standing stones. Thatch has assisted with liberal use of the pitcher on its “fresh geyser” setting, saturating the exposed earth of the caverns with as much water as it can hold. Eventually, Thatch simply stands at the mouth of passage leading down from the higher caves and floods the entire cavern.

On the morning of their departure, Eva does a final sweep through Sheesak’s lair to be sure they have left nothing behind worth taking. Satisfied, she exits the cave and runs down the mound, through the remnants of the hedges. She can feel the earth squelching and starting to give under her feet and wastes no time getting back to the spot in the woods where rest of the group is waiting.

The party hangs back while Lord Agasha and his men go on ahead, and so once Eva reaches them, Reyu steps forward and casts one last soften earth and stone just at the point she calculates will bring down the entire dome. At first, it seems like nothing is going to happen. Then, the top of the mound sinks, just a little bit.

“Is that—?” Thatch starts.

Reyu holds up a hand for silence. A low rumble begins, then grows louder, then a rush of dirt and rock-choked water gushes out from the cliff face. An instant later, the mound crumbles in on itself. The hedges collapse into the rising muck. The altar and standing stones remain in place for a few moments; then they all simultaneously lurch to one side. Reyu notices that as they tilt and sink, the four stones and alter keep their relative positions to each other. She must have been right, they were all part of one large piece of rock.

The party is eventually forced to draw back to higher ground as the flood waters surge forwards into the woods. When they subside, the party returns to survey the damage.

The entrance to Sheesak’s lair is now nearly twenty feet above ground level. The old altar and standing stones are stuck, half-buried in dirt and tipped close to fifty degrees to one side. The hedges are gone, all buried in viscous mud.

Satisfied, the group does not linger long and turns their horses to catch up with Lord Agasha and the others.

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Trahnesi said:
Does anyone ever "fall from grace"? Normally games state that if you do things that "your god doesn't like", you lose your divine spellcasting abilities. Here, it looks like the Crossers are doing things that would be against Kettenek's desires, yet presumably they are able to cast animate dead.

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer this. I've been off and about on holiday travels, with limited internet access and an excess of baby half-brother-in-laws!

The short answer appears to be no. The gods of the Halmae, much like the gods of Earth, are remarkably closed-mouthed when it comes to answering questions about what exactly it is they expect of their followers. This is for two reasons: 1) The Halmae gods are not, generally, quite as anthropomorphic as most fantasy world gods. They're forces of nature, more than intelligent, personality based beings. They don't necessarily like or dislike the actions of their followers, any more than gravity likes or dislikes skydivers. And 2) I find religion to be much more interesting when there aren't clearly defined answers. Two people, worshipping the same god, holding diametrically opposed and mutually exclusive ideals... well, as a DM, I just don't think it gets much better than that.

Glad to hear from you, and glad to see so many new posters showing up.

doghead

thotd
Piratecat said:
Good answer, and I like that approach.

I do as well. Its better than stepping into a globe of ... what was it Piratecat? Was it a globe or something else?

*doghead stuggles (unsuccessfully) to stop chortling like an idiot*

That really was the funniest post in the whole thead. Thanks for sharing.

thotd.

Trahnesi

First Post
Fajitas said:
Sorry it's taken me so long to answer this. I've been off and about on holiday travels, with limited internet access and an excess of baby half-brother-in-laws!

No need to apologize - I never expect anyone to read things online during the holiday vacation season. There are so many other fun things to be doing.

I like the approach you've got with gods - the "in your face" style of many fantasy world gods hasn't ever worked for me. I'm probably going to grab this and slap it into my proto-campaign. I had been trying to figure out what to do with religion, and this is perfect - it gives the building blocks for a ton of plot arcs, while not overpowering the other elements of the game. It makes it reasonable for there to be non-believers, while not diminishing the power of the faithful. And it gives players a chance to add on additional sects for their characters without messing up the cosmology.

All in all, a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I applaud you with the highest praise - yoinking.

spyscribe

First Post
Sorry for the delay, I've been travelling and off-line for a while. Hope everyone had a happy New Year!

Part the Eighty-Ninth:
In which: one journey ends and another resumes.

The three days on the road are punctuated by a distinct lack of sudden blizzards or goblin attacks.

As they approach Lord Fau Meen's manor, Reyu begins to consider what she should do about her new ursine companion.

She asks advice from Lord Agasha. "I would ask him to wait in the forest outside the estate, but I would be quite... upset if someone were to try and hunt him now. Do you think Lord Fau Meen might be able to accommodate him?"

Lord Agasha chuckles to himself. "Oh, I'm sure he can come up with something." He chuckles a bit more. "Oh yes. You should bring him. Lord Fau Meen will be most... most pleased." The elderly hunter coughs a bit, perhaps not due to the cold. "This did all start with a bear hunt, after all."

Reyu considers. Humans can be quite strange sometimes. It is possible that Lord Agasha is being insincere. Still, she decides it will not trouble her rest to incommode Lord Fau Meen with the sudden arrival of her animal companion.

Lord Fau Meen is somewhat nonplussed to find the bear that was lately terrorizing his peasants now seeking lodging in one of his outbuildings, but a combination of assurances from Reyu that the bear presents no danger and a desire not to appear rattled in front of Lord Agasha conspire to find a place for the bear to sleep.

The bear settled, the adventurers all get the opportunity to bathe and rest before being summoned to a banquet in their honor that evening.

Lord Fau Meen's central hall has been decorated for the occasion and a very long low table laid out to accommodate all of the party as well as Lord Fau Meen, Lord Agasha, and a few important guests.

Most of the party finds eating with chopsticks easier to get the hang of this time, and to everyone's surprise Kiara digs in as though she has been eating with them all her life, showing even more grace than she does with traditional utensils.

At last though, the dishes are cleared, and following a toast and fine words from Lord Fau Meen, Lord Agasha rises to speak.

"We are indebted to you all," he begins. "This mission to drive the ogre from our lands was a great and honorable one, and it does not shame me to say it would not have been a success without your help."

He makes a motion and servants come forward, each standing behind one of the adventurers. For Lira, already on edge since their return to settled Sovereign lands, it is an act of will to remain placid. They're just servants, she tells herself, if they were going to arrest us all, there would be guards. A few of the others shift slightly in their seats as Lord Agasha continues.

A scroll case is placed in his open palm. "With these letters," he continues, "anyone in the Sovereignty may know and recognize you for your valorous deeds, and you will be allowed safe passage through our lands."

He closes the case and gives it to Anvil, who accepts with a bow. Hmm, thinks Thatch, One of us has been getting etiquette lessons.

Lord Agasha reaches back again and is handed a small sack, which he places on the table with a distinct clinking sound. Eva recognizes the sound immediately, and the gold is also handed over to Anvil for safekeeping before it is divided by the party.

Reyu speaks up. "You are most generous. But surely, little payment is required. It was an honor to travel and hunt with someone of your stature."

Lord Agasha clears his throat modestly. "You may consider that another part of my payment to you," he replies, much to the relief of other party members who were not feeling so sanguine about refusing 1,000 gold pieces.

However, Lord Agasha is not finished. "Also, allow me to present you each with a token of thanks and esteem."

At Agasha's gesture the servants who were standing behind the party members each produce a sheathed blade, about eighteen inches long. The handles are wrapped with ornately designed knots and finished with tassels hanging off the ends. The adventurers graciously accept, and find the blades as well-made as they are beautiful.

"These are wakazashi," Lord Agasha explains. "They show all who see them that you are honored warriors among our people."

The meal is soon concluded, and most of the party members solemnly belt on their new daggers. All thank Lord Agasha and their host as graciously as they are able.

###

That night, Reyu watches from her sleeping mat as Lira takes her wakazashi and carefully slides it into her backpack. Although the sorcerer prefers to stay away from close-rage combat, Reyu knows she must appreciate the higher quality of Lord Agasha's gift compared to her usual dagger.

When she mentions this, Lira shrugs and sighs. "I know. And it's lovely, but... I can't give up my old one." Reyu assumes that Lira is going to leave it at that but she continues. "It was a gift from my parents, for my sixteenth birthday."

Reyu watches with a quiet nod of understanding as the young human checks to make sure her holy symbol is securely tucked down her nightshirt, crawls into bed, and falls asleep.

###

The party takes some time to consider their next move. Now that the business with the ogre and Lord Agasha has been resolved, they are once again free to resume their primary mission of seeking out the archmage of the Kuio valley.

Lord Agasha has provided them with a map and although there is no valley so named in the Sovereignty, he suspects they may be looking for a place name known as "The Valley at the Center of the Storm." On their map it is still called, "The Valley of Untamed Fury."

"Those don't sound like the same place," Thatch points out when Lord Agasha explains.

"What changed?" Lira asks.

"The valley, apparently," replies Lord Agasha dryly, and that is the only illumination on the matter he provides.

The party resolves that they will ride to Seaward, the port through which they lately arrived in the sovereignty, and from there take a ship a small way along the coast to Port at the Mouth of the River of Great Descent (or Descentport), where they can take a barge up the River of Great Descent to the Lake of Exalted Heights.

This plan has two advantages over overland travel. First, from the Lake it appears that the party will be able to follow another river down to the valley in question. And second, the Lake is also not far from the Ironroot mines, where the party will be able to redeem the promissory notes issued to them by Gurn Stoneshaper in the mines near Dar Und.

Just in case it becomes necessary later, the party also locates the Sharpstone Pass on the map, where Komatsu's monastery is located. Although they have no plans to pay a visit to the odd missionary, they figure it is good to know where they can find a place to seek shelter in case of emergency.

Lord Agasha's son, Lord Hiru agrees to accompany the party to the mouth of the river and help facilitate arrangements for their travel.

And so, after resting another day at Lord Fau Meen's estate, they prepare to depart.

spyscribe

First Post
But, before our party continues their journey:

A Prepatory Interlude:

Reyu is somewhat concerned for her new animal companion. While she has been able to introduce him to the members of the party and he seems in all ways agreeable to remaining with her, she has her doubts about prolonged river travel.

So, the morning after the banquet, Reyu rises with the sun and as she prays for nature's blessing to be upon her, she makes a special request.

Reyu goes directly to see the bear after breakfast. The large beast ambles over to her, and she pats its great head as she says in perfect bear, "Hello, my friend."

The bear blinks. "You can talk," he says, a bit of surprise showing in his slow, ponderous bear voice.

"For a little while," she allows. "I hope we can speak much in the coming days."

The bear gives a big, slow nod. "I'd like that."

"What do you call yourself, friend?"

The bear's reply is long and rumbling. "I was called, 'He Whose Paws Can Rip Up Mighty Trees.' But now I think I will be called, 'He Whose Friend Walks On Two Legs.'"

Reyu can't help smiling. She scratches the bear around his great, furry ears. He bats at her gently with a paw. "Paws," she says, a rich solid word in her native elven. "I am about to go on a long journey to the sea and then up a great river. Would you like to accompany me?"

"Sea..." the bear rumbles. "I do not know the sea."

"It is a great body of water."

"Like a river?" the bear asks.

"It is like a river, as a tree is like grass," she explains.

Paws considers. "Grass is not much like a tree," he muses. "But... they are both green." He thinks some more, "I think, I would like to go with you to see this... sea."

The bear nuzzles against Reyu, and she pets his head, and the conversation turns to other things.

Last edited:

dpdx

Explorer
"People let me tell you 'bout my best friend..."

(I liked the interlude.)

So they all get nice wakizashi - are any of the party proficient in its use? Wouldn't want to see someone hurt themselves on the followthrough... :)

spyscribe

First Post
dpdx said:
So they all get nice wakizashi - are any of the party proficient in its use? Wouldn't want to see someone hurt themselves on the followthrough... :)

Yeah... I think the ruling was that if you were proficient with a short sword you were proficient with a wakizashi, which in our party translates to: Thatch.

Maybe Benedic, but he's an NPC.

Fortunately, most of the effectiveness of these particular wakizashis (wakizashii?) is in the stopping-fights-before-they-start department. As in, "Oh, you think I am some ignorant foreigner? Well, that's honored ignorant foreigner to you, Loser-san."

Shrug. It was a nice idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads