• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Welcome to the Halmae (updated 2/27/07)

spyscribe

First Post
Part the One-Hundred Thirty-Ninth
In which: Eva finds her situation is even more complicated than she would have guessed.

Eva sits huddled in the corner of her room. The door is locked and barricaded, and the windows are shuttered and barred.

She has never felt more vulnerable in her life.

And as she sits there, trapped in a cage of her own making, paralyzed with fear of the lurking, mysterious forces that have somehow insinuated their way into her life. As she sits there at her moment of greatest torment, the words of Alirria float into her mind, unbidden. “Remember that you have the choice between flowing in two channels or blowing in one.”

I have a choice, she thinks.

###

Eva isn’t sure which sect of Alirria would be the best to visit, so she—ironically—decides to roll a die and let fate decide. The die sends her to the Temple of the Givers of Life, the sect devoted to medicine and healing.

Eva makes her way as carefully as she can, donning a disguise, and frequently doubling back on her own path. She is fairly certain that she has not been followed.

Eva is led into a small recovery room and asked to wait. Eventually, in comes one of the Givers, Sister Alanna. She wears the plain white robe of her order, with a blue symbol of Alirria stitched into the front. “Welcome my child,” she says. “What ails you?”

Eva tells her everything.

Well, not quite everything. She remains vague about the details of those who are harassing her. She was sworn to secrecy on that score and… well, she may have a choice, but it’s still not clear which direction she’ll choose.

But she does tell Sister Alanna all about the debriefing and her date, about her death and return, about her visions of Sedellus and of Alirria, about the tingling in her forehead during their brief stopover at Cauldron. And then she asks her all important question.

“What do I do?”

Sister Alanna contemplates for a moment. “Truly, you have been blessed. A vision from one of the gods is a rare give indeed. A vision from two…” she finally says, “And for you, as a non-Alirrian, to receive a Blessed Kiss from our Mother... Will you object if I invoke Her blessings to verify your claims?”

Eva does not object, and Sister Alanna casts detect magic. She glances at Eva’s forehead, but her attention is pulled away and instead she stares down at Eva’s chest. Her gaze rests there for some time. Long enough to make Eva feel self-conscious. “Er, is there—”

But Sister Alanna cuts her off. “Excuse me, my child, but may I borrow that?” She points at Eva’s holy symbol.

Eva doesn’t have the slightest idea what to make of that. It seems a truly strange request, but…

“Okay. Sure…” she says, and removes the symbol from around her neck. Sister Alanna takes it from her and, without a word, exits the room.

Eva sits there, wondering what exactly has just transpired. A minute later, Sister Alanna returns, without the holy symbol.

“Were you aware, my dear, that you are being monitored?” she asks.

“Well, yeah,” she says, mentally adding Hello! Have you been listening to anything I said?

“No, no,” Sister Alanna clarifies. “I mean you are being monitored at this very moment. There is some kind of divination magic active on your holy symbol. You have probably been monitored since you first put it on…”

Sister Alanna keeps talking after that, but Eva doesn’t hear a word she says. Somehow, quite suddenly, too much of her concentration is taken up with breathing.

###

A quick application of calm emotions by Sister Alanna brings Eva back to her senses. Sister Alanna explains that she has had one of the Mother Superiors perform a thorough magical examination of the holy symbol. It has been enchanted with clairaudience. Everything that Eva has said or that has been said to her since she got that holy symbol has been overheard.

Sister Alanna offers to attempt to dispel the enchantment, but of course, that would only alert whoever is listening that Eva is aware of their eavesdropping. That is not a step that Eva is willing to take quite yet. Yes, she is angry, but they’ve already made it abundantly clear that they can find her, and while she is furious about this, she’s not feeling quite reckless enough to risk open war with them. Not yet.

“We can protect you here at the Temple, if you wish,” Sister Alanna offers. “I doubt very much that even Sedellans would be foolish enough to come for you if you were under the protection of the Givers.”

Eva considers that. It is a kind offer, and might well solve her problems. On the other hand…

“Thank you, but no. I appreciate the thought, but I’m not so certain they wouldn’t find a way to get me. Besides, I may not know exactly what the goddess… what either goddess meant when She spoke to me, but somehow I don’t think They intended me to find out by staying here.”

“The Lady’s words are as opaque to me as they are to you. But keep them in your mind and wrap them around your heart. She would not have offered them to you if they were not needed.”

Eva nods. Small chance of her forgetting. Particularly now.

Eva’s holy symbol is returned to her. She and Sister Alanna stage a quick conversation for the benefit of anyone that might be listening, covering for the short period of time that they would have lost contact. Sister Alanna babbles a few Alirrian platitudes, and Eva feigns gratitude for the consultation.

And then she is on her way, alone.

It is a very, very, very bad hand she has been dealt.

She’ll just have to see how well she can play it out…

###

Back at the boarding house, Lira finds Eva sitting downstairs in the common dining area, staring at a cold mug of Mrs. Blackburn’s excellent coffee.

“Eva?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah. Fine.” As she talks, Eva slowly shakes her head from side to side.

“Are you sure?”

“Oh yeah.”

Lira frowns. The fact that Eva sounds as though she’s just been told she’s about to be executed does not exactly lend credence to what she’s saying. But before Lira can ask another question, Eva puts a finger to her lips, calling for silence.

Lira gestures, “What?”

Very slowly and carefully Eva points at the holy symbol that hangs around her neck. She beckons Lira closer.

Lira leans down, and when her ear is less than an inch from Eva’s mouth, the rogue whispers a single word, so low it is almost an exhale. “Spies.”

Lira sits down opposite Eva at the table. “You know, I was passing by the market today, and I realized, we should go shopping.”

“Shopping?” Eva asks.

“Sure,” Lira replies, pulling out parchment, quill, and ink from her pack and pushing them across the table to Eva. “Why don’t we start a list of all the things we need?”

Eva blinks. “Oh. Good idea.” She picks up the quill, and begins to write.

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Heh. Heh, heh.

We played again the week after this session. When Eva's player showed up to that game, she shot me an incredibly dirty look and said, "I want you to know I had nightmares in character every night this week. In two of them, I threw myself off of a boat to get away from these people."

There was this indescribable glow around me for the next few days...

Thanks for the kind words, folks. It's glad to see people enjoying the SH. And, er, Sagiro, er, I am humbled by your words. And more than a little amused, too, given just how much of my game had its origins in me reading *your* Story Hour and thinking to myself "Gosh, I would love to do something kinda like that..." Glad you're enjoying.

The return of A'vandira

Finally. I've caught up again. Stupid firewall at the office blocked all EN-World related sites, so I kinda got a little behind in my reading. Network admin finally added EN-World to the allowed sites, so for the last three days my lunchbreaks have been spent catching up to this incredible story hour. As I said before, great writing Spyscribe, absolutely terrific.

Now I'll rejoin "The Legion of Waiters-for-an-Update"

Last edited:

MTR

First Post
Fajitas said:
We played again the week after this session. When Eva's player showed up to that game, she shot me an incredibly dirty look and said, "I want you to know I had nightmares in character every night this week. In two of them, I threw myself off of a boat to get away from these people."

There was this indescribable glow around me for the next few days...

What higher praise could there be? You're messing with her mind *all the time*

spyscribe

First Post
Note: this update is a whopper (1800+ words), nearly twice as long as I like to make an average post, and with a graphic to boot. So be forewarned that this is more of a lunch break read than a coffee break read. However, there just wasn't a good place to cut it in half. I trust you all will forgive me.

Part the One-Hundred Fortieth
In which: our journey resumes.

Lira rereads the piece of parchment containing the “conversation” she had with Eva the day before.

Eva and Lira said:
The Fortune Riders have been spying on me through my holy symbol.

Why?

I don’t know!

For how long?

Since I’ve been on this mission.

Crap.

Crap. CRAP. CRAP.

Can you take it off?

Not for long. I don’t think they know that I know.

Do you usually sleep with it on?

Sneak over to my room tonight. We can talk then.

Lira takes the paper and burns it to ash. She then scatters the ashes out her window for good measure. Her talk with Eva the night before was… illuminating. Now, Lira just needs to break the news to the others.

The party gathers that morning in the meeting room where they are accustomed to making their headquarters.

Lira times her arrival so that by the time she enters, everyone except Eva is already there. She wastes no time getting to her point. “There’s something we need to talk about, and we need to do it now.”

“Should not we wait for Eva?” Reyu objects.

Lira clears her throat. “Actually, we really shouldn’t.”

“Why?” Anvil demands.

“Because the Fortune Riders have been using her to spy on us.”

It takes a while for the general exclamations of shock and disbelief following this announcement to calm down. When they do, Lira condenses what Eva was able to tell her the night before. She concludes:

“Basically, except for the time that Eva had her holy symbol stuffed at the bottom of her backpack while we were traveling in the Sovereignty, none of us has ever had a private conversation with her.”

“Are you sure this is true?” Annika asks.

Lira nods. “I went out of the room and cast detect magic, then came in and checked her holy symbol. It’s definitely some kind of divination device.”

“Why did we not notice this before?” Anvil asks.

Lira shrugs. “Have you ever detected magic at Eva before? I mean sure, she’s around when we’re looking at other things, but did you ever really look to see if her holy symbol radiated magic?”

The party members who can cast such spells try to remember if they ever have, but are forced to conclude that Lira has a point.

“Believe me,” Lira points out, “no one is more annoyed we didn’t notice this before than I am. I mean, how many times have you seen me detect?”

“What should we do?” Reyu asks, ever practical.

“Here’s the thing. Eva believes that if the Fortune Riders know that she knows, there will be consequences, probably unpleasant ones. She wanted me to tell you what was going on so that we could avoid discussing certain things in front of her that we might want to keep private, but we can’t make it seem like that’s what we’re doing.”

“So we have to act like we don’t know what we know because if the Fortune Riders know that we know that they know about stuff, Eva will be in trouble,” Kiara sums up.

Lira blinks, trying desperately to parse what just came out of Kiara’s mouth. “Umm… yeah.”

“We should be more careful in the future,” Anvil announces. “We must regularly check each other for new and unexplained magical auras.” And as he finishes, he casts detect magic and starts to scan the assembled group.

Kiara’s eyes get wide. “But it would be too late! If they were listening through one of us then they’ve already heard this conversation and so they’ll know that we know…”

Annika breaks in and tries to shush her.

“But Annika,” she protests. “They’ll know all about your fiancé!”

The room gets suddenly quiet.

“Well, they do now.”

Kiara gasps, and her hand flies to her mouth. “I’m sorry,” she squeaks.

Lira tries to cover her surprise by coughing. “Your fiancé?”

Annika sighs. “It’s… It’s an arranged thing. His father’s a blacksmith, and he’s going to take over the shop pretty soon. The families have been talking, and they think it’s a good match. He’s a good craftsman and they figure that I can enchant things that he makes.”

“Do you like him?” Lira asks.

“I barely know him. I mean, we knew each other as kids, but I haven’t seen him in years. We had a quick visit while I was at home. He’s… fine.”

“When would this happen?” Reyu wants to know.

“Not for a while,” Anniks answers quickly. “Everyone has ‘agreed’ it would be best for me to finish my studies at the Academy first.”

Reyu isn’t sure what to make of all this. Among her people, marriage is apparently different than it is among humans. But before the conversation can go any farther, Eva walks into the room.

After a few seconds of uncomfortable silence, Anvil speaks. “We were speaking of traveling to Ebis, to return Gemil and to seek out the wizard Manaal.”

Eva looks quickly around at the others. “Right.”

###

The party decides that it would be best to rid themselves of Gemil before seeking out the archmage Manaal. Gemil certainly does not object to this plan, and has asked the party to take him to some associates of his in the city of Siunethrit, deep in the Empire’s desert interior.

Lira goes to ask Devon if he has found his map of Ebis, but she finds him unavailable to talk when she stops by. She eventually leaves word with one of his assistants who promises to pass along her request.

When Lira stops by the next morning, she finds the map is waiting for her, but Devon is still not in evidence. Lira finds this unusual, as she has never had trouble before getting in to see the man, but stops short of asking the assistant flat-out if Devon is avoiding her.

Even more irksome, the map is clearly incomplete.

(see map, attached below)

Lira returns to the group and shows it to them.

“That’s not going to help,” Thatch complains. “Siunethrit isn’t even on the map.”

“Hopefully Gemil can show us where that is at least,” Lira replies, but she doesn’t seem terribly pleased either.

“However,” Anvil adds, “once we have fulfilled out debt to Gemil, it does us little good to know that Manaal lives in the vicinity of Pesshetaup if we do not know where Pesshetaup is.”

Lira makes a frustrated noise. “Yeah, well, and if Devon wasn’t avoiding me, I’d ask him about it.”

As usual, Reyu’s voice is one of calm in times of frustration, “Then we will seek another source of information.”

“Such as?” Eva wants to know.

“We have met a citizen of Ebis. Let us ask her if she knows anything which could be of help to us.”

###

Hadass doesn’t seem particularly thrilled to see the party, perhaps because last time they came around they were quizzing her on the habits of her friend, Amelia. Hadass has never heard of a wizard named Manaal, or any Ebisite wizard for that matter. She equally hasn’t heard of a city called Pesshetaup. However, she is able to explain the incomplete quality of their map.

“Unless you’re in the military, you can’t really get a complete map of the Empire. They don’t want too much information falling into the wrong hands.”

“Like who?” Kiara wants to know.

Hadass shrugs. “Whomever. You can’t move freely through the Empire the way you can here. Travel between any of the cities requires a passport.”

“How does one obtain a passport?” Anvil asks.

“You apply for one from the military and it’s issued. They don’t need a lot of information just, name, profession, reason for traveling. And they do use magic to see if you’re lying.”

Hadass herself is from Nayarii, a coastal city and the Empire’s main international port, but when the party asks if she would like them to take a message to anyone there, she shakes her head. “Actually,” she says, “I’d rather you didn’t mention my name to anyone if you go there… wizards aren’t exactly welcome in the Empire.”

The party exchanges worried glances. Travel may take a little… creativity.

###

After conferring with Gemil as to the location of Siunethrit, the party considers their options. Most foreign travelers arrive in Ebis via the port of Nayarii. It is by all reports a cosmopolitan city with many foreigners and other travelers. It is also along the Halmae coast and several weeks travel by road up to Siunethrit.

On the other hand, since Petros has already offered to take them into Ebis, they can arrange to arrive only a day or so from Siunethrit through the desert. Of course, if they do that, they won’t have the proper travel documents. Eva, however, comes up with an answer to that dilemma. By making a few discreet inquiries, she is able to fine someone who—for a fee of 125 gold apiece—will provide them with forged Ebisite passports.

The party agrees that the travel time saved with be worth the fee for the forged documents.

(There is some amusement coming up with non-threatening and mostly-honest occupations for certain party members. Lira and Eva both travel as “temple representatives” while Annika calls herself an “apprentice craftsman.” Luckily, Kiara is not yet 16 and, as a minor, does not need a job title.)

As the rest of the party busies themselves with supplying themselves for desert travel and other odd bits of business, Anvil spends his last few days in Dar Pykos studying in the Temple Archives. Although he passed his Third Order Examination, Tenacious informed him that it was a close thing. In particular, he noted, Anvil’s answers on Inheritance Law in the First Century Pre-Confederacy could have been better.

Anvil dedicates special time and effort to improving his knowledge in this area. The duties of a Third Order Justicar demand no less.

(DM’s note: for the record, BadMonkeyJeff used not one but TWO actions points in his various rolls to pass his examination—one to study and one on the exam itself.)

On their appointed date of departure, Anvil collects Gemil—whom he had left to talk to some of the greatest minds of the Temple of Justice in an effort to encourage him to change from his evil ways.

“I do not suppose you have changed your mind about where you would like us to take you next?” Anvil asks him as he goes to rejoin the others.

“Hmm…” Gemil pretends to consider. “No.”

“Have you heard of a city called Pesshataup?”

Gemil can’t really frown, but he seems to grin a little less. “No. Why?”

Anvil slides the skull into his pack and fastens the drawstring at the top. “No reason.”

###

There is not a lot of conversation as the party walks out of the city to meet Petros. The farmers are out planting their spring crops, and the members of the party all have much to think about.

Petros greets them cordially, and after examining the map, determines an area in the vicinity of Siunethrit where he can place his tower without raising an alarm.

A moment later, there is a flash of white light, and the adventurers are on their way to Ebis.

Attachments

• EbisMapJPEG.jpg
    EbisMapJPEG.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 204

ham2anv

First Post
Been lurking for a while, but finally just had to say how much I love this Story Hour. It's the only one I've actually kept up with completely. Engaging narrative, entertaining and round characters, intriguing background, and a wonderful plot. To spyscribe and Fajitas, thank you!

spyscribe

First Post
Hey Ham2anv, good to have you! Thanks for delurking to say hello.

Sidebar: The Empire of Ebis

Although not a whole lot about the Empire of Ebis is commonly known outside of it, the party is not completely ignorant of where they are going. What follows is more or less the information that we (the players) had available to us when we departed Dar Pykos.

General Information

Ebis is mostly desert. There is a narrow strip of fertile land along the Nefertegi River. It is believed that, apart from trade, this land is the Empire’s main source of food. Ebis has a complex government, with an advanced and many-layered bureaucracy. Ehkt is the primary diety worshipped in Ebis, as a harsh warrior sun god.

As has been mentioned in the story hour, the official word is that there are no wizards living in Ebis (although Manaal and Gemil would seem to dispute that), and no one in the Confederacy has ever heard of sorcerers being born there.

Geography

Ehkt-hotep, Forbidden City of Endless Sun - The capital of Ebis. Entrance to the city is forbidden to most commoners and travelers. Entry is forbidden to all but the Imperial Family, high-ranking officials, and those military officers fortunate enough to be assigned there.

Baseka - The Gateway to Ebis. This city is heavily militarized. Merchant activity is high, as it is the main point of contact between Ebis and the Sovereignty.

Nayarii - Occupying the delta at the mouth of the Nefertegi, Nayarii is a major hub of trade. The military maintains a strong presence, but it is largely a civilian city. Nayarii is known for its friendly and open attitude towards foreigners.

Sma-tirra - Also a major harbor city, Sma-tirra is a haven for all ships that would pass through the Darine Straits.

The Old Sea Road - The Old Sea Road runs along the coast of the Halmae, stretching from Baseka all the way to Sma-tirra. It is well maintained and patrolled by the military. Way-stations are positioned all along its length, to provide for weary travelers.

Legal System

The penalty for most crimes in Ebis is a beating, followed by restitution. Non-reparable civilian crimes are commonly punished by enslavement. There are also a number of capital offenses, specifically:

1. Murder
  2. Robbing the Dead
  3. Treason
  4. Perjury
  5. Failure to obey a superior officer

Note that, in some cases, failure to act to prevent murder can be considered murder.

So really, what's not to love?

spyscribe

First Post
Part the One-Hundred Forty-First
Welcome to the Empire of Ebis

Petros’ tower appears in a desolate stretch of sand. Although by Reyu’s estimation they are only half a day’s walk away from Siunethrit, the city is visible only as a tiny smudge on the horizon. This is ideal from the standpoint of not alarming the populace, but not so great for those who have to make the trek to Siunethrit on foot.

They arrive in early afternoon, and even though the party takes the time to make their good-byes to Petros, the sun is still high in the sky as they set out across the shifting sands.

It is hot.

Kiara tries to escape the heat by shifting into swallow form and riding in the shade of Annika’s hood, but she quickly discovers that this is no climate for swallows.

(“African or European?”)

She gives up and trudges along with the rest of them. Fortunately for the party, Thatch still carries the decanter of endless water and are able to take frequent breaks to drink and douse their heads. Euro, who rides in Lira’s pack out of the sun, finds that he can slip into the pitcher for a quick dip whenever he gets too hot. Thatch thinks about objecting on the ground that they all have to drink from it, then realizes it’s not as if he doesn’t have the resources to wash it out after Euro is done.

Lira makes her new hat of disguise appear to have a wide brim, and walks in her own patch of illusory shade. It actually seems to help a little… provided she doesn’t think about it too much.

Eventually, the party reaches the main road, and—with Gemil stored safely in Anvil’s pack—they reach the high sandstone walls of Siunethrit just as the sun is dipping below the horizon.

Now, they will find out how good the forged passports they bought were.

Arriving at the main gates, the party is quickly ushered to Customs, built inside the massive walls surrounding the city. The room is long and narrow, and filled with rows upon rows of desks. At this hour, most of the officials who would have been manning those desks seem to have gone home, but they are able to get the attention of someone still on duty.

To the travelers’ eyes, he is dressed very strangely. He wears a light linen skirt and tunic, along with sandals—which make sense given the desert climate. However, he is also heavily made-up with dark liner around his eyes and a long and pointed false wooden beard strapped to his chin. The adventurers do their best not to stare, and he returns the favor.

“Why are you traveling to Siunethrit?”

“Business.”

“How long will you be staying here?”

“A couple of days.”

He takes a cursory glance at their passports then waves them through a door in the wall opposite the one where they entered. And with that, the party has arrived in Siunethrit. Eva breathes a silent sigh of relief.

Twilight lingers over the city, and the streets are filled with people hurrying about their business. The party cannot help but notice that there are also soldiers stationed on almost every corner, keeping an eye on the ebb and flow of the populace. With their fair complexions and strange garb, the party gets more than a few looks from the military and civilians alike.

Even the architecture is foreign. Almost every building is made of the same pale sandstone, with irregular angles and oddly sloping ceilings. Several have no visible means of supporting themselves other than counterweights. Geometric minarets of every conceivable configuration dominate the skyline; obelisks topped by pyramids, cubes, and other stranger and harder to describe objects rise like angular flowers in a garden of boxes. Still, the overall effect is more… precise than aesthetic.

The party finds a place to spend the night, and once they are safely ensconced in a private room, Anvil brings Gemil out of his sack.

“Alright,” Lira informs Gemil. “We’re in Siunethrit. What now?”

Gemil clacks his teeth together happily, clearly pleased to be back in his home city for the first time in nearly two decades. “Go to an inn called The Golden Ratio; I’ll give you directions. A man named Raffee is the innkeeper. When you find him, ask to see Khalid. He’ll know what to do from there.”

Seeing no reason to dally over this mission, the party sets out immediately, following Gemil’s directions to The Golden Ratio.

However, when they arrive, they encounter a slight difficulty.

“I’m sorry,” says the man behind the bar, “I don’t know any Raffee.”

“You are not he?” Anvil demands.

“No.” He shakes his head.

“Do you know anyone by the name of Khalid?”

“Sorry.”

The party quickly returns to their own rooms to consult with Gemil.

Gemil considers. “Well… that’s very interesting.”

“What are we supposed to do now?” Eva asks him, growing more impatient with this little errand by the moment.

“Don’t get yourself all up into a fuss. It’s not a problem. I have another contact. A man who owns a tailor shop. We can go find him in the morning.”

“Fine.” Eva spits the word like a mouthful of sand. She turns to Thatch, “Quick hand of cards downstairs?”

Thatch shrugs agreeably. “Sure.”

Eva and Thatch don’t find any card games going downstairs, so they sit down for a quick round or so of two-handed gin. The only other patrons in the common room are two men at a back table, heads bent over a very intense discussion.

As the evening wears on, their conversation grows louder and more animated, until finally breaking out into a loud and passionate debate. Eva keeps an ear on it—prepared to break up the game at a moment’s notice if things look like they’re going to get ugly. Although she has no idea what the specific point of contention is, it gradually dawns on her that these men are arguing about math.

She looks over at Thatch and whispers low across the table. “This city is so weird.”

Thatch nods, mute.

Remove ads