• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Well, what's wrong with slavery?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Well I'd call myself Republican (more a centrist Republican than anything else), but I not only don't share this belief, I haven't heard this attitude from any Republican, let alone consider it "typical".

You've never said heard a Republican say racist things about immigrants? That is the attitude I was talking about.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
You've never said heard a Republican say racist things about immigrants? That is the attitude I was talking about.

I've heard plenty of people speak racist things, and as many were Democrats as were Republicans. I don't consider it a "party thing" to be racist. In fact the most racist person I personally know, is firmly a Democrat in all his politics. (Note: I'm speaking of people I actually know, and not socalled party leaders that make statements on TV - I don't "know" them.)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In all honesty, two weeks ago, I would have said much the same. However, I did a little research: immigration courts don't care about the legal status of anyone except the person before the bench. Illegal aliens with citizen children get deported just like those without; it is literally a legal non-factor. The kids either go with their folks, or their parents make arrangements for them to stay in the country with someone else.

So, manufactured controversy. How nice.

I've heard plenty of people speak racist things, and as many were Democrats as were Republicans. I don't consider it a "party thing" to be racist. In fact the most racist person I personally know, is firmly a Democrat in all his politics. (Note: I'm speaking of people I actually know, and not socalled party leaders that make statements on TV - I don't "know" them.)

Let us change how we think about this, just a little. In the end, personal quotes aren't the issue. What gets put into law and policy matters.

Which party has a platform that includes more discriminatory policies?

Which party typically prefers if racial minorities don't go to the polls on election day?

Janx

Hero
So, manufactured controversy. How nice.

Let us change how we think about this, just a little. In the end, personal quotes aren't the issue. What gets put into law and policy matters.

Which party has a platform that includes more discriminatory policies?

Which party typically prefers if racial minorities don't go to the polls on election day?

Let's see here's what I think I know of the categories by Party (which might not match reality):

Democrats want to block/restrict:
guns

Republicans want to block/restrict:
voting rights (voter ID laws which put higher burden on poor people who tend to be minorities)
women's reproductive rights (contraception, abortion, insurance coverage of same)
gay marriage
legalized drugs (I saw a Nixon quote about using drug enforcement to target blacks a while back)
freedom from religion (a bit of an inversion, they support Hobby Lobby and other decisions where people in power get to force their religious rules on their employees/customers, etc)
aid for the poor (in the form of Medicaid, Social Security, Medicare, welfare)

I am certain I am blind to whatever other stupid things the Democrats want to restrict. But the Republican party is well known for the list of things they want to restrict.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher

No one has ever advocated that I don't vote, and I am a minority (Japanese American). My son-in-law is Mexican born, he votes too. I couldn't tell you if "my party" prefers me to vote or not, never heard the contrary. I've heard more that if you don't vote, that's "un-American". Most of the democrats in my area are pro-union, and not so much labeled as liberals. The head of the local Republican party in my area is gay. So which party is more one thing than another, I don't know. Maybe things are more black-and-white in your area, but not so much here.

Janx

Hero
No one has ever advocated that I don't vote, and I am a minority (Japanese American). My son-in-law is Mexican born, he votes too. I couldn't tell you if "my party" prefers me to vote or not, never heard the contrary. I've heard more that if you don't vote, that's "un-American". Most of the democrats in my area are pro-union, and not so much labeled as liberals. The head of the local Republican party in my area is gay. So which party is more one thing than another, I don't know. Maybe things are more black-and-white in your area, but not so much here.

Could be. And you are also talking more local politics than state or federal perhaps.

I live in a Republican dominated state. They are well known for gerrymandering districts and supporting voter id laws (that they just recently were in the news for)

Putting a requirement for a $20 ID so you can vote will coincidentally keep a large portion of the black/hispanic audience from voting because they make up the majority of the poor in TX.

They don't have to say "don't vote". By arguing how it makes sense to enforce some simple standards on confirming the identity of lawful citizens, how is that a bad thing?

Because at face value, it should be no big deal to require certain kinds of proof. Except that we don't actually have a voter fraud problem. And that requirement just happens to raise a barrier to voting for poor people. Who happen to be predominantly un-white.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Really I could give a crap regarding state and federal politics most of the time, I "live local" so that's all I'm really concerned about, though I do vote in state/federal elections. Most of the Hispanic's here have driver's licenses, so there's no real ID issues here - and practically everybody is poor here (one of the highest unemployment rates in Illinois). My county is like 98.5% white, though there is an almost entire community that is Hispanic (a very small town mind you, but still true, even with bilingual street signs).

Honestly most of the Republicans locally don't speak highly of Trump. My father is much more a conservative Republican than I, and he hates Trump. So what pundents say regarding national politics of anything means nothing to me.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I don't consider it a "party thing" to be racist.
Than you are obviously wrong. Republicans made this their thing since at least the 1960s with the Southern Strategy. Here is an interesting quote about it: [/quote]From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the N-word vote and they don't need any more than that...but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more N-word who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the N-wordphobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.[/quote]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy Seems like a party thing to me.

A lot of what Trump, currently the most popular Republican candidate in the primaries, said and what that radio host said is racist, don't you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads