• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wendigo

aceofgames

First Post
Please read the following:

Wendigo Racial Traits
+2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
Startling Speed: 40 ft land speed
Tough Hide: +1 natural armor
Spiritual Eyes: Every Wendigo may see the spirit of an individual- essentially seeing their alignment and beliefs. To use this ability requires a standard action. The Wendigo must make a Sense Motive check, with a +4 bonus. Those being analyzed by the Wendigo, must make a will save or bluff check (whichever is higher) against the result of the Wendigo’s sense motive check. If the target succeeds, the Wendigo learns nothing. If the target fails however, the Wendigo learns the target’s alignment and who their patron spirit is. This ability can be blocked or fooled by magical means.
Honesty: The Spiritual Eyes ability makes Wendigo more honest toward other races. All Wendigo have a –3 racial penalty to all Bluff checks they make.
Unseen in the Trees: +4 racial bonus to all Climb and Hide checks when in a forest.
Excellent Hunter: +1 competence bonus on any search, spot and survival checks relating to nature, or animals. They may use a search check in place of a knowledge (nature) check, if the situation demands it.
Low-light vision.
Critiques? Flavor to follow...

Last edited:

The Edge

First Post
Seems neat. likely needs a level adjustment. I particualary like the Spiritual Eyes, and youv'e given me a cool idea for a new Singular (rare person with a strange and extrodinary talent) in my campain.

What do you plan on useing it for?

Pyrex

First Post
Hrm, which literary source are you drawing on for your Wendigo? It doesn't much match the ones I'm familiar with. (i.e., the ghoulish cannibalistic variety)

Also, why would Illiteracy prevent a Wendigo from becoming a Sorcerer? Or, more likely, a Druid?

aceofgames

First Post
Eh. The name is really a 'in-reference' since the player I made up the race for, is a fan of White Wolf (prior to that whole apocalypse thing). The race is more akin to the killoren really. Heres a sample of some flavor I've gotten written up:

The land of Bravi is said to have once been in the center of the world, and was the heart from which all races emerged. The Wendigo have been about the world for as long as the other races- but they saw no need to record history until their land was swept out of place by the foul legions of Cephaloccar during the First War.
Personality: The Wendigo are staunch isolationists. Firstly and secondly, they always give one pretense to others of what they think; they when started are stubbornly for the preservation of Nature and balance. Any attempt to upset that balance, to them, is an affront to both nature and sanity. Wendigo will scare the blazes out of a foe rather than fight; when the choice is offered, they prefer to let opponents leave in fear of them. If an opponent insults nature or is an affront to nature by their very attitude, death is seen as the only way to balance the waste of such a nature-hater.
History: It is said that the Claws of the Trees emerged when the blood of Gaea was dripped on the woods of Bravi, after Gaea had been struck by the Dark God Cephaloccar, during one of the many battles of the First War. The trees struck by her blood birth a dozen creatures. One of these creatures was the first Wendigo. She was known as Enneada, the First Claw. She was born a druid. She and her daughters, over the next decade managed to drive Cephaloccar and his aberrations out of the entire Great Forest. The Great Forest once stretched over all of Bravi, Exilur, Sorathor and the lands that were once between. But after the elves ascended their lands into the sky toward the end of the First War, the floods came. The Aberrations flooded half the lands of Bravi, and burned nearly a third of the Great Forest left over after that.
Since the end of the First War, the Wendigo have signed a deal with the Orcs and Humans of Bravi; they leave the forest alone, the Wendigo would choose to not slaughter their entire settlements.

The campaign is a bit higher powered (thus the seeming potency of the race), since its a primitive-era world.

Remove ads