We're Finally Mainstream! Now What?

ICv2's recent announcement that hobby games have become "mainstream" heralds a new age for role-playing games. How did this happen and why should gamers care?

ICv2's recent announcement that hobby games have become "mainstream" heralds a new age for role-playing games. How did this happen and why should gamers care?
[h=3]How Did We Get Here?[/h]Role-playing games have steadily been increasing in popularity and media attention. Several factors are likely at play, ranging from older players returning to the hobby (as evidenced by the Old School Renaissance ), to an increased media awareness of role-playing games (Stranger Things being one example), to a wave of nostalgia as 40-somethings now have enough buying power to introduce their kids to the hobby.

The rise of video and podcasting has also introduced gaming to a much larger population on the Internet. Conventions are more popular than ever before -- to the point that they have difficulty keeping up with the demand. Wizards of the Coast has released a new Open Game License and a distribution platform via DM's Guild. It helps that Dungeons & Dragons has also broadened its audience, with millennials (ages 25 to 34) the largest group, followed closely ages 35 to 44 and 18 to 24 — 30% of which are female.
[h=3]Six Million an Hour?[/h]According to WOTC, six million people are playing D&D at any given hour. UPDATE: I asked Nathan Stewart to clarify this number. This was his response:

There was more context given, wasn't supposed to mean every hour, but yes the aggregate was videogames/boardgames/TRPG (not novels)

The "per hour" seems to be egregious, and is inclusive of D&D-branded video games and board games. Ethan Gilsdorf, author of Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks, said :

For those in the know, for those who follow popular culture, the game has gained a kind of legendary status. It's almost like a badge of honor. People who used to play D&D in the 70s, 80s, and 90s are now reaping the benefits.

The data backs up the RPG renaissance, as per ICv2:

The number of people playing hobby games, the number of people shopping at game stores, the number of stores, and exposure of hobby games at major retailers were all up in 2016, reflecting the now-mainstream nature of the hobby.

Mike Mearls, senior manager of D&D research and design, confirmed ICv2's findings:
We're seeing a bigger audience than we've seen in a very long time—in decades. It's so easy to cast this idea that technology will be the death of D&D, but it's been really interesting to see how that has been absolutely incorrect.
[h=3]Will the Bubble Burst?[/h]Rob Salkowitz at ICv2 predicts that mainstream geek culture will affect other industries, as they take notes on what works for geek fans and apply it to other forms of fandom like sports :

It’s been clear for a while that the fan convention template that we’ve known since the 1960s is fraying at the edges as geek culture becomes mainstream consumer culture. On one hand, this means outside players who smell the money are making their play for the fan audience, with increasingly mixed results. But on the other, it means that longtime convention organizers within the space are looking to push their shows into neighboring territory.

Salkowitz calls this "peak geek" and it has consequences beyond geek circles:

The danger is that, even with a fresh infusion of smart nerds in strategic spots, mainstream media is still more liable than their niche counterparts to credit know-nothings on an equal basis with informed sources, misinterpret nuances, impose faulty narrative frameworks and just plain get stuff wrong when it comes to covering the business of pop culture--especially if they are taking their cues from some of the more excitable fever swamps of online fandom. The result is a much more treacherous environment for the big companies and big name creators unaccustomed to attention from these quarters.

For tabletop games, the primary concern is that eight straight years of growth is unsustainable:

For 2017, there’s widespread concern that the number of releases is going to be greater than the market can support. "I think we're facing some challenges coming into the new year, just on the basis of the breadth of releases," one distributor told us.

But for the moment, things have never looked better for gaming. As more and more media launches -- from videos to streaming to podcasts to television shows to movies -- geek culture will become so normalized that it may well lose some of its identity. Chris Perkins, principal D&D designer, summed up the current state of affairs:

Geek culture and nerd culture is now just culture.

Whether or not that is a good or bad thing will be determined by us.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to
http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.
SaveSave

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Igwilly

First Post
I'll buy and play the game as I've always did. If anyone wants to come in, they are accepted. The reverse is also true.
I actually dislike D&D 5e with a black passion. However, if people are interested in a system I actually like, then that might be a good thing. Getting new engaged players in my game is *very* good.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I think that one way WoTC can keep the 5e bubble from popping, or at least delay it for a long period of time, is to continue releasing a mix of APs and short one shots. The 40-somethings coming back to D&D have more disposable income than time. The APs recognize that most DMs don't have the time to build campaigns and worlds. Yawning Portal recognized that many of those same DMs and their players don't have the time for long campaigns (as well as recognizing the nolstalgia draw or bringing back class dungeon crawls). It can be hard for those of us in our 40s, who have come back to D&D, to get a group of 4-6 players together on a regular basis. That's why we crave adventures that can be run on 4-6 hours.

The natural evolution is then to provide these materials in digital formats for VTTs, which is already occurring. You now see some DMs charging to run games on platforms like Roll20. I would happily pay to play in a game from an experienced DM—but I don't have the time to commit to a campaign.

I'm looking forward to the near future where I can signup for a one-off 6-hour game on a VTT platform for up to $10 to $30. At, say $10, it becomes an impulse purchase and the DM make $60 for a six-hour session. Not something to make a live off of, but good tangible acknowledgement for someone just getting started. Popular DMs with good ratings, shouldn't have a problem charging 30-50 for a one-off session. For a six-player, six-hour session that's $30 to $50 an hour. Celebrity DMs (popular bloggers and live-stream DMs) could charge much more.

If pay-for-RPG sessions on VTT platforms takes off, it will give anyone, anywhere a chance to experience the game, including people who are interested in trying or playing occasionally but who do not want to make any commitments beyond an occasional session. This will increase the trend of RPGs becoming mainstream all for a much longer period of sustainable growth.

I really believe that we are finally at the point where being a game master could be a viable career for more than just a handful of on-line celebrities. A lot of DMs on Meetup.com are leaving money on the table. I travel a lot for work and am always looking for games I can join in my free evenings. I get to meet new people in cities across the US and the world (I'm in Amsterdam now if anyone is running any English-language games) and experience different gaming styles, settings, and systems. I'd happily pay or tip a DM for letting me join their group for an evening.

I'm a little torn about monetizing the hobby too much—but if people can make money at it, it will keep the hobby alive.

Rygar

Explorer
I don't think we're anywhere near done.

1. The 40 something crowd is a niche group because RPG's were niche-ish in their day, so we're bottom heavy right now in terms of demographics
2. Much like video games or Mtg, especially now that "Nerd" is cool, the teens/twenties will continue to play as they age, while the kids continue to be introduced.

I'd venture we have at least 10 - 15 years more of growth in the market. We're not even getting started yet.

was

Adventurer
...I think that we should carry on as most gamers always have, celebrating creativity and acceptance in a fun and collaborative environment.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Why doesn't something like Neverwinter Nights not count as "playing D&D"?

Just because that's the way we've played D&D doesn't really mean that we get to define what that is, does it? I mean, I've been playing via VTT for about 15 years now. Does that mean that I'm a second class citizen because I don't play face to face?

What I'm trying to say here, and probably failing, is that tribalism is bad. We SHOULD be as welcoming as possible to all players who are entering the hobby, regardless of how they enter.

Yeah no. Playing Neverwinter Nights does not count as "playing D&D". That would be the same as saying that playing Fantasy Football is the same as playing Football. Sure they're related, but they are not the same thing.

Yeah no. Playing Neverwinter Nights does not count as "playing D&D". That would be the same as saying that playing Fantasy Football is the same as playing Football. Sure they're related, but they are not the same thing.
But what about an NFL video game? Madden or whatever....

Jhaelen

First Post

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I think it's debatable, at least as far as where you want to draw the line. Does playing World of Warcraft count? Because it was at 10-12 million for monthly subscribers for years. It is a fantasy RPG played with other people - it just happens to be on the computer.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
It's very much debatable. Your typical WOW player is completely incapable of roleplaying. Trust me, I've met plenty. While there is a minuscule number of WOW players that actually do use the game as a platform for roleplaying, it's not what the vast majority of players are doing.

Computer RPG =/= Tabletop RPG.

A game like 'This War of Mine' is about a thousand times closer to actual roleplaying than any computer game labeled as an RPG.

In other words: these quoted numbers are completely meaningless for the roleplaying hobby.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads