• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Werewolfery

Carpe DM

First Post
A pc in my game recently contracted lycanthropy, the wolfy kind. In figuring out the rules, I've come to the conclusion that being a werewolf is *terrible* from a game perspective. You lose four levels (+2 char level adjustment, 2 baloney "wolf" levels) and gain very little in return.

My primary objection is the "wolf levels" the player is being required to take. What a waste! Am I missing something here? Are there benefits that I haven't thought about? The +2 wisdom, Iron Will feat and damage reduction 5/silver (he's afflicted, not natural) might be worth the +2 character level adjustment, but the loss of the character levels to "wolf levels" is just murder.

Can anyone point me in the direction of 3.5 content that deals with Lycanthropy in a more player-friendly fashion? I relish the idea of having a werewolf PC, but the rules treatment is so loopy.

very best,

Carpe

evilbob

Explorer
Don't forget the +2 str and the +4 dex and con in hybrid form. That's worth a little something. It basically gives you the advantages of each form, which is nice.

Overall, you're right though: it's pretty rough, especially considering most PCs wouldn't -want- to take two levels of "animal." And you also have the added negative that technically, any PC afflicted has a really good chance of turning chaotic evil for good.

If you have a huge problem with it, you could always house rule that the 2 animal levels only apply when changed, and wouldn't affect normal leveling and XP gains. Or you could just steer the group toward finding a cure as quickly as possible. :)

Drowbane

First Post
As is, werewolves suck.

homebrew: I basicly toss the Feral template into the mix for werewolves (all benefits only in Hybrid form) at no additional cost. Adds some much needed umph.

edit: it is perhaps worth noting here that my homebrew has only one type of were-beast. No lions, tigers or bears (oh my!). :p

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Lycanthropy is a curse. The victim should be seeking out a cure or his teammates should be putting him down like any other rabid animal.

Carpe DM

First Post
In your usual campaign, yes. This is an antihero campaign -- an experiment. The players are not the good guys. But they are indubitably the heroes. A werewolf barbarian is going to fit right in, theme-wise. (I mean, the rest of the party have "Tomb-Tainted Soul" as a feat, if that tells you anything.) So it really is a matter of seeing if I can find mechanics that make this work.

cheers,

Carpe

eamon

Explorer
Consider using the CR adjustments instead of the level adjustments - that is, the ECL is determined by level + CR adjustment (and animal HD are NOT taken into account!). That's probably more balanced, although a creative player with a lenient DM might abuse it. As long as lycanthropy is only available in-game (not at character creation) and characters can't count on it, it won't be a problem.

Alternatively, simply scrap the level adjustment completely. It's still not overpowered in the were-wolf's case. You don't need to make a general house rule either, just say that's how it works for him, and be done.

BartD

First Post
Not so baloney

Ok, you say you think the lycantrope levels may be worth it. Given that, are the 2 wolf levels really so terrible for a barbarian? While in hybrid form (in which the character can fight with his usual weapon) they give:
1. 2d8 HD, +1 BAB, Good Fort and Reflex saves, 2x(2+int) skills including Listen Spot Survival
2. Str +2, Con +4, Dex +4, natural armor +2
3. Scent
4. An extra bite attack (at -5) which can be used to trip

To me, these look *very* good if compared to what you get from 2 barbarian levels.
The bonus strength makes up for lower BAB and increases damage
The bonus constitution more than makes up for the lower HD (ex 5d12 < 3d12+2d8+10) and improves fort save
The bonus dexterity and natural armor is not much worse than typical barbarian armor* and improves reflex save
Scent is awesome
The extra free bite+trip attack is awesome

* depending on whether you let him use regular armor in hybrid form, this is simply awesome or becomes awesome when he wears bracers or wild armor

The only real loss for this (imo) awesome stuff is only -2/3 trapsense, -2/3 DR, -1/2 daily rage and 2 levels delay for greater rage etc.

If you still feel it is weak, you might give him the animal HD for the lycantrope levels as well. Or use warrior (full BAB, only good fort save) if he doesn't like losing BAB.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
It's mostly the "HOW much XP do I need to level?!?! /wrist" thing. That's what made me almost cry when my rogue turned furry.

The skill list is, unfortunately, not terribly helpful, as the PC now has to put points into Control Shape so he can have some vague control over how much fur he's wearing.

The DR and extra Con are nice, yes. My tiefling* rogue was a lot tougher when wolfy, and it made for great mileage in jokes**. On the whole, though, it's just simpler to find some wolfsbane and go into rehab.

Brad

* - "How'd a native outsider contract lycanthrophy, when were templates are only allowed for humanoids and giants?" DM fiat; since it was a Birthright game, he made it into a curse on my character's bloodline.

** - Lots of things like threatening to eat the halfling psion because I was hungry, making a nest to take a nap, being distracted by balls and other moving objects, etc.

Remove ads