• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Werewolves and ElfQuest

Kafen

First Post
Aroo? My campaign uses the lifemate/lovemate style storyhook as a general rule for my werewolf clans. I try to avoid applying mechanical stats to that aspect of the game - love and game stats tends to be one of the odd things to manage if you are GM. And, I reallllly do not plan on RPing that kind of thing in game. So, the lifebond/lovebond aspect in my campaign really has to remain benign in that regard.

I know the BoEF stats out a third level cleric spell with a similar name, but the basics of my lifemate/lifebond system revolves around...

...instant connection (Elf Quest style)
...couples that are linked are strongly attracted to each other
...couples can block out the mental link if it is un-welcome
...the distance does not matter, but location of the person is impossible if the other person is blocking the mental link
...alignment is not CE by default for werewolves

Anywho, those are the basics.

For the first time, I am running a NPC with the bond in place as part of the party. The NPC is a natural werewolf with a second curse holding her in human form - a gender curse side effect passed down to her from one parent suffering the effects of a gender switch curse. She is ignorant of the werewolf in her blood as her were parent hid it from her, and she was locked in human form due to the second curse.

The Lifebond bit enters into the game through the suggestion of a third party - my sister :). It is a nod to the classic werewolf romance books, obviously. The NPC is bound to an Alpha male of a pack, and the NPC is just discovering the link and the were aspects of her blood. The link is taking hold, though. So, I really need to decide on the mechanics of the actual change for this NPC.

I am pondering a save every night as the inner wolf fights to break free of the gender curse side effects. If she fails, she suffers a penalty to concentration from the physical/mental barrage of not being able to change.

So, any thoughts or observations would be welcome on the issue. It is a little late to back away from the lifebond in-game. So, I am open to thoughts on the matter.

This is all d20 in scope

Remove ads