Western Movie Choices

Frisco Kid, and most of all, Blazing Saddles

I came in to mention these two. Note that the Frisco Kid stars a Harrison Ford and Gene Wilder, which might help score some nerd points.

For slightly less traditional westerns, you could go with Little Big Man or Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Kaodi

Hero
Blazing Saddles is not the sort of film you just spring on people, if you ask me. The one time I was watching it (alone, which may not have helped) I ended up turning it off, even though I knew before I even started that it was a satire written in part by Richard Pryor. It was just that harsh for me.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It isn't for everyone, no.

The last time I aired it on game night, we found out one of our players hadn't seen it. The film nearly killed him...with laughter. At one point, he was laughing so hard, not only did he change colors and fall off the futon, he was even "trying to escape" by crawling away...

tuxgeo

Adventurer
"Mackenna's Gold" (1969: Omar Sharif kidnaps Gregory Peck?)
Also features Telly Savalas, Keenan Wynn, Julie Newmar, Lee J. Cobb, Raymond Massey, Burgess Meredith, Edward G. Robinson -- with original music by Quincy Jones and theme song sung by José Feliciano. Almost funny in spots. Notable for photography and performances.

(Didn't get a lot of notice at the time because "The Wild Bunch" and "True Grit" were exciting the fans of westerns then.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
More fun: the classic TV westerns Branded, The Rifleman, and Have Gun, Will Travel.

(Just found out that there is supposedly a movie of Have Gun, Will Travel in the works...starring Eminem. I think that the writers and director will have a herculean task getting Detroit's own Mr. Mathers to sund like an educated and erudite Paladin. OTOH, MM may just turn in the performance of his lifetime. Yo.)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We ended up watching "The Outlaw Josey Wales", as it has analogies to some of the things happening in Kansas in our game. It was a fine film and... more pleasantly comical and self-aware than we expected. Chief Dan George stole many scenes, and I'll have to look up some of this other work.

Remove ads