• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WFRP 3] Minions/henchmen with "group hit points" announced in new designer diary

dystmesis

First Post
I've considered group or encounter hit points before. There's the simple idea of just giving all enemies the same HP pool to draw from and as it decreases kill off some guys, etc. A similiar idea I seem to recall, I'm not sure if it's original or not, was to have damage stack... once enough damage was put on the stack, the next enemy to get hit would die, etc. But this is all still somewhat simulationist...

I'd like to see some more narrative combat rules in games that let you go "I wade through the enemies, hacking at their numbers, cleaving the army in two!" instead of "I move 20 feet, make a standard attack at X"

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
This was a not-uncommon house rule for 3e games where there were multiple identical foes. Say, 30 orcs or what have you. Rather than track each orc, add all the orcs' HPs together, and start getting rid of them as you lose an orc's worth of HPs.

You get some weird results sometimes - like "why does this orc die from a single dagger wound, but that guy back there has taken 3 fireballs?" But for gaming shorthand, it's perfectly usable if not even remotely simulationist.

-O

Phaezen

Adventurer
The henchmen wound mechanic might be an interesting alternative to D&D 4e's minion mechanic. Something to play with :D

Cadfan

First Post
I've tried it as a rule in D&D. I'm really not a fan. It might work on small monsters where it only changes whether it takes one or two hits to kill a monster, but it sucked badly for anything normal sized.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads