• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WFRP - THIRD Edition Announced from FFG

Dire Bare

Legend
The cranky sure started fast on this one!

Oh noes! This is the death of all that is good in RPG games. Again!

Sigh. You may not care for the previews you've seen, but to declare with vehemence that this product is from the devil is just another example of cranky gamer syndrome.

Now, once it's published, and you've gone over to your friend's house to check it out . . . you know, the guy who buys everything so you don't have to, then the wailing and gnashing might actually have some basis in reality.

I have the utmost confidence in Fantasy Flight Games to pull this off, no matter how different from earlier editions this might (or might not) be. Every product from them that I've ever got my hands on has been beyond fantastic. From board games to card games to roleplaying games, these guys know what they are doing. That's not to say they can't screw this up, but I'm betting on FFG, not the cranky gamers.

Dire Bare

Legend
Knowing this is Games Workshop here, I wonder how they will extend the line after this $99 set is bought by customers. What kind of expansions are planned and what price, and how often they get released.

This isn't Games Workshop. This is Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) under license from Games Workshop. World of difference! Find some friends who've played FFG's version of the Warhammer 40K RPG and ask them what they think of that, it may give you some hope (or not).

This isn't Games Workshop. This is Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) under license from Games Workshop. World of difference! Find some friends who've played FFG's version of the Warhammer 40K RPG and ask them what they think of that, it may give you some hope (or not).

Errr... the 40k RPG in the form of Dark Heresy really isn't that different from FFG than the one from Black Industries. Just some eratta in the FFG one as I recall. The rules themselves... the stats at least in Dark Heresy aren't that different than what I see in my old Rogue Trader book... the 40k wargame Rogue Trader book that is.

And given how protective GW is of its properties and all that? Yeah, it _is_ GW. I can't imagine that GW would allow FFG to do something like this without their stamp of approval.

And FFG can certainly screw it up... they've got a fondness for doing rpgs and then dropping them with no warning or any real indication of why. Dragonstar, Fireborn, Blue Planet... for a while I was starting to think of FFG as "The place where rpgs go to die". Midnight was the only product line to really get "support" and to my knowledge it's now dead and there's no plans that I'm aware of for it.

Don't get me wrong though... I'm betting this will be successful enough for FFG. In part because I think GW wouldn't have allowed this sort of thing to be done without being convinced that it'd make money.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
OTOH, FFG's support of its boardgames is nothing short of phenomenal. Them getting the license for Talisman was one of the best things I'd heard. :)

Runebound, Arkham Horror, Descent - all three of those games have had expansion after expansion.

Cheers!

ArghMark

First Post
Wow, when I first read the description I was quite shocked.

Cards? Special dice? No percentile rolls? No playing camp followers or rat catchers? I had a thought that maybe this will be more board-gamey, 4ed style.

And then I thought - I can understand the reason why. On the surface, playing a camp follower doesn't seem that cool. Until you play the game, that is.

Who knows for sure? I'll have to wait till it comes out here before I continue any gnashing of teeth.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Ok, this is utterly bizarre.

You can find a lot more information here:
Fantasy Flight Games [Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - Description] - Leading publisher of board, card, and roleplaying games.

Basically, the (eight-sided or six-sided) dice have custom symbols on them. When you attack, you compare the dice symbols to the power card to see the result.

"You hit for normal damage"
"You hit for +2 damage"
"Perform a manouever for free"
"One enemy within close range of you who is not engaged with an opponent may engage you"

Very odd.

Cheers!

That kind of reminds me of the old Heroquest game where the dice had skulls on them?

Yeah, it definitely looks like they exited Stage Left on this game, but I'll probably still pick it up just to see what it's about.

FriarRosing

First Post
I don't know how I feel about this. Mainly I'll be let down if I can't be a rat catcher. And if career isn't random. I mean, doesn't that change the point of the game to some extent?

It looks like it might be fun, but they seem to be taking a serious board game route. That may be cool, I don't know.

EDIT:

Also, I think it'd be interesting if RPGs get more and more based around the same assumptions board games use--especially the whole "elegant rules" schtick of eurogames. It may be a good idea. I mean, the whole thing started with ideas taken from wargames, and I'd certainly prefer the simpler, more accessible rules of modern board games to the fiddly goofiness of wargames.

But anyway.

EDIT II:

Looking at it, I'm sure I'll buy it. :-(

Also the idea of a party tension mechanic seems weird to me.

Last edited:

Dang, that's pretty expensive. I would really love to see what the fuss is all about, but there are fair chances I won't really play the game often, so it is a bit expensive.

It certainly doesn't sound like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2E, but... I have Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2E already. So I certainly applaud them for trying something new and interesting.

Will there be playtests report or something like that? Test plays at GenCon? I'd love to hear some information on how this actually works.

Remove ads