• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WFRP - THIRD Edition Announced from FFG

Imperialus

Explorer
I think it looks neat *ducks*

At the end of the day, FFG is trying something new, bringing some board game elements to roleplaying. Good for them. If anyone can pull it off they will.

ST

First Post
I'm definately excited to see more. I love the presentation. Expensive, yeah, but for me it beats yet another $50 hardcover book, since it's got so many custom components.

Phaezen

Adventurer
I think it looks neat *ducks*

At the end of the day, FFG is trying something new, bringing some board game elements to roleplaying. Good for them. If anyone can pull it off they will.

And oif it brings some board gamers into roleplaying even better.

FFG is one of the companys I trust when it comes to pulling off seemingly insane high cost products. The quality of their components makes the money worth it.

Obryn

Hero
Best case scenario: they produce 20 million units, sell five of them, go out of business, someone else negotiates for the WHFRP license and brings it back down to earth.

Funny how if you want to play it with more than 3 players you're supposed to buy extra packs.
I agree that the format won't work for my own home game, but I still have my WFRP2e books. FFG hasn't done anything to WFRP2e (or 1e for that matter) - it's still around, still playable, and still has all the stuff I could ever want (and even stuff I don't - Kislev? Seriously?)

Once again, it's just a company making a new game, which I may or may not like. It's nothing to get mad at. "HOW DARE THEY MAKE A GAME I DON'T LIKE?!? I HOPE THEY ALL DIE IN A FIRE!!1" I guess I don't feel a compelling need to have every new edition of a game I like also be a game I like. :)

Personally, I'd be interested in playing a session or two with it, but it won't be suitable for my own table, and I won't buy it as a result. I don't want to tell any of my 5-7 players "Sorry, guys, you need to sit out this session. We have too many players for WFRP!" And I shudder to think how much expansions would cost, if the core set is $100! :) So no matter how awesome it is - and it very well might be - it won't work for us.

-O

Obryn

Hero
One thing that I think might get traction is that now WFRP and Warhammer Fantasy Battles may end up closer to one another in tone.

There's always been a weird disconnect between the two. You have awesomely powerful characters in WFB, and Rat Catchers in WFRP. This difference has never bothered me, but I don't think it's insane that GW would want WFRP to better reflect WFB.

-O

darjr

I crit!
One thing that I think might get traction is that now WFRP and Warhammer Fantasy Battles may end up closer to one another in tone.

There's always been a weird disconnect between the two. You have awesomely powerful characters in WFB, and Rat Catchers in WFRP. This difference has never bothered me, but I don't think it's insane that GW would want WFRP to better reflect WFB.

-O

I've got the original Warhammer white boxed set, the game at that time was both an rpg and a wargame. The characters were in line, more so than other games I think, with the grunts on the field, and life was short because of that. I think that makes for two different styles of play, the lowly gritty try and survive, and the epic battles. Individuals in each died like flies, but the focus in each made the games play very different.

edit: http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showbook&bookid=2682

Anyway, I'm very intrigued by the new game. I understand why some are less than pleased. I don't understand the anger. I'm hoping that it's a great game and gets more folk into the hobby. At $100 I'll try and get in a game or more, but I'll think twice about owning it.

Last edited:

Dragonbait

Explorer
Looks pretty, and that's what I expect from FFG for $100. It may play very well too, on it's own.

I think I'll hold on to my 2ed books just in case and see if I can convert this new version to the Cadwallon setting and use some of their additional rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads