WH40k Rogue Trader

jgerman

First Post
I do hope that we will be able to play xenos in this.

I believe that won't be until the third book. Recall that three were announced by BI and FFG is going to go ahead and stick with what was originally intended.

I wish they hadn't. These books are an awful realization of a 40k RPG.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I do hope that we will be able to play xenos in this.

If by "play xenos" you mean "kill xenos", I think you'll be happy. If not, then I wouldn't get my hopes up. :D

But that's just a guess from me.

/M

frankthedm

First Post
I suppose it has the same ruleset as the other WH rpgames, right?
Unfortunately it will probably be class based like Dark Heresy.

I’m not happy with how the W40K RPGs feel to me to be more limited in scope than WFRP. WFRP, while focusing on the Empire, still covered a lot of ground and had lots of character options and gamestyle options even if the rules material was somewhat shallow. DH focused rules in depth on playing Inquisitors. It gave a lot for that, but the main other thing the book seemed useful for would be playing a Necromunda-style game if the whole party took the Ganger Scum Class.

EDIT: And I’ll take ganger scum over ][nquisitor lapdogs anyday, thank you much. I got no qualms with the ultra-grimdark setting & playing a doomed character is fine by me. But I’m not too thrilled with playing a patsy for the corpse cult that has co-opted Humanity’s destiny. Only Dark Heresy campaign I’d be interested in playing would be one with the goals of to finish killing the Emporer and keeping the empire of man intact long enough so the Emperor can be reborn. Unfortunately I’d strongly suspect GW would forbid a published product with that storyline.

Last edited:

xechnao

First Post
Unfortunately it will probably be class based like Dark Heresy.

I’m not happy with how the W40K RPGs feel to me to be more limited in scope than WFRP. WFRP, while focusing on the Empire, still covered a lot of ground and had lots of character options and gamestyle options even if the rules material was somewhat shallow. DH focused rules in depth on playing Inquisitors. It gave a lot for that, but the main other thing the book seemed useful for would be playing a Necromunda-style game if the whole party took the Ganger Scum Class.

Well, futuristic games usually have to be more focused on their objectives than their more technologically restricted fantasy counterparts.

...you have a spaceship, some space maps, some high-tech gadgets but what challenge are you going to face? While with fantasy games you know you have to travel some bit of land to reach some unexplored site where adventure awaits -and if you do not travel and stay home it will come to you.

Burrito Al Pastor

First Post
It's going to use the same system as and be cross-compatible with Dark Heresy.

It's quite reasonable to expect some xenos backgrounds for players, since rogue traders are exactly the sorts of scum who would consort with xenos. Eldar wanderers and lone Kroot mercenaries are likely.

I am super-psyched.

I wish they hadn't. These books are an awful realization of a 40k RPG.

...I would LOVE to hear your rationale behind this statement. As far as I'm concerned, Dark Heresy is about as good an implementation of 40k as you can get.

gribble

Explorer
I’m not too thrilled with playing a patsy for the corpse cult that has co-opted Humanity’s destiny. Only Dark Heresy campaign I’d be interested in playing would be one with the goals of to finish killing the Emporer and keeping the empire of man intact long enough so the Emperor can be reborn.
Not trying to be rude here, but I have to ask if you've actually read the general 40K Inquisition fluff, and specifically the fluff in the DH rulebook?

The DH book goes to great lengths to reinforce the point that the Inquisition is composed of a lot of individuals who are strong willed, free thinking and (almost) beyond the laws of the Imperium. Far from a bunch of lapdogs or patsys for the corpse cult...

In fact there is an entire faction of the Inquisition (I can't remember the name - is it the Radicals?) who believe that the only way for humankind to prosper and achieve their destiny is to cause strife and mayhem. Particularly extreme Inquisitors of this faction actually do think this requires them to kill the Emperor and/or bring down the Imperium from within...

So what you're suggesting sounds like an excellent premise for a campaign for a group of Acolytes working for an Inquisitor from this faction, and is entirely doable using the DH rules and setting.
:)

Last edited:

andozane

Explorer
This will be a great line...

I'm in agreement that DH has been a great way to portray an RPG for 40K.

No matter where you turn, there are people who are very vocal about how they despise the notion of being an acolyte, as if it limits them. Or those who want to play space marines.

I'm able to ignore those posts quite readily now ;)

Remove ads