Whacked by perspective

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, really, what does my current issue mean? I will have to make a bunch of phone calls to find a plumber or heating tech. I'll have to pay out a notable, but not really threatening, chunk of money. I will probably have to heat water for washing dishes and baths on the stove for a couple of days. Big whoop!

Basically, I had very fast readjustment of scale, such that my difficulty no longer looks of feels difficult.
According to scientists who actually study the field, stress is a leading contributor to mortality.

But the thing is, our bodies can't tell the difference between the stress of being hunted as prey and having a bad day at work because of a computer malfunction. And every interaction we have with another being- even saying "Hi" to a friend or loved one- raises your stress level, at least momentarily.

So while your problems may not be big deals in the big picture, they are still your problems. You can't make something non-stressful, but you CAN, with time and effort, minimize the height of the spikes and their duration by keeping perspective, as you say.

Still, since we are not (as some say) "thinking animals", but rather, animals who have a greater capacity for rationality than others, we cannot maintain perspective at all times. I live in the USA, and have a life that puts me in the upper 5% here. If I were able to keep perspective 100% of the time that I don't live in Bangladesh during the monsoon season or live in a war zone, etc., I'd cheerfully go about my day all day every day.

Ahnehnois

First Post
According to scientists who actually study the field, stress is a leading contributor to mortality.
As someone who is actually a scientist who studies in this field, I endorse this statement.

Chronic stress has wide-ranging consequences, and while everyone has some of it, there are ways of managing stress. Keeping perspective is a good one.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So while your problems may not be big deals in the big picture, they are still your problems. You can't make something non-stressful, but you CAN, with time and effort, minimize the height of the spikes and their duration by keeping perspective, as you say.

Exactly. Upon making the realization, my stress levels plummeted down to normal, everyday levels.

Janx

Hero
Exactly. Upon making the realization, my stress levels plummeted down to normal, everyday levels.

Did you get your heater fixed. Personally, my stress level rises the longer my wife is without water and/or heated water.

Since any plumbing project requires cutting the water supply, and takes at least half a day, your stress level is a factor of N days until new heater arrives +1 for the installation (being without any water is twice as irksome as being without hot water).

At this point in my life, I've fixed all my plumbing problems except for a hot water heater. Doesn't look that complicated as it's just power and pipes, same as anything else. Pipes is easy. if it leaks, convert it PEX.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Did you get your heater fixed. Personally, my stress level rises the longer my wife is without water and/or heated water.

Yep. Fixed this morning, by a pair of polite, friendly technicians who will be getting a good Yelp review so long as the thing continues working well for 24 hours.

Since any plumbing project requires cutting the water supply, and takes at least half a day, your stress level is a factor of N days until new heater arrives +1 for the installation (being without any water is twice as irksome as being without hot water).

Well, they just asked me not to use any hot water, had a new heater in stock, and were in and out in three hours :)

So, really, this problem wasn't really a problem. It wasn't *cheap*, mind you...

tuxgeo

Adventurer
. . .
At this point in my life, I've fixed all my plumbing problems except for a hot water heater. Doesn't look that complicated as it's just power and pipes, same as anything else. Pipes is easy. if it leaks, convert it PEX.

I've replaced water heaters. The worst job I ever did was for a friend who moved to town to attend University here. Her mother (monied) bought her a house locally, and shipped her a water heater from the San Diego area.

So I ran a new 220 volt circuit to the new location for the water heater, then took a closer look at the heater that had been shipped: it was a gas-fired water heater. Her house didn't even have natural gas: no pipes, no meter, no regulator. Everyone involved laughed heartily.

Janx

Hero
I've replaced water heaters. The worst job I ever did was for a friend who moved to town to attend University here. Her mother (monied) bought her a house locally, and shipped her a water heater from the San Diego area.

So I ran a new 220 volt circuit to the new location for the water heater, then took a closer look at the heater that had been shipped: it was a gas-fired water heater. Her house didn't even have natural gas: no pipes, no meter, no regulator. Everyone involved laughed heartily.

yeah, you gotta look before you buy...

This is why every plumbing job requires an average of 3 trips to the parts store. Apparently, that extends to water heaters as well. :)

I don't have gas in my home*. I'm comfortable fixing electricity and water, but I would not touch a gas installation. That's where you need a pro. The risk of a leak is just too high on an amateur job. My view might be different if I worked with a lot of gas piping, but I don't so I don't mess with it and I don't encourage any other amateurs to mess with it.

*I like gas appliances, it's just not an option in my neighborhood.

Nellisir

Hero
In the past week, I've put my oldest dog to sleep, found out my truck needs $5000 worth of work, and dropped a drawer on my little toe (last night). I put in fenceposts yesterday for fencing around my pool, because our town requires $400 worth of stuff around a $80 inflatable pool, and my hands are blistered and killing me. And some truck nearby is pumping something nasty and a sewage smell is coming through my window right now.

But it's a good day out, my hands are getting tougher, my toe isn't broken, my truck is getting a new engine with a big ol' warranty, and my cat and the younger dog are A-OK.

Edit: OK, the cat needs his meds increased - he scored a 10 on something that's supposed to top off at 4, but that's OK too - it means we don't have to cut the blamed pills anymore. :)

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm comfortable fixing electricity and water, but I would not touch a gas installation. That's where you need a pro. The risk of a leak is just too high on an amateur job.

Moreover, if your insurance company finds that an unlicensed plumber touched gas pipes, well, your coverage goes bye-bye.

Remove ads