• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What´s a 15th Lvl Commoner ?

Ashwyn

First Post
thundershot said:
Like a few others have mentioned, with the Epic Level Handbook on the horizon, we'll be seeing 45th level Commoners in no time. :D From the sound of it, any class can be made epic, so it should be really easy to make epic NPC classes... (Farmer Jim and his returning flame burst mighty cleaving vorpal hoe)

Heh.

Chris

Forget Buffy, Farmer Jim the vampire slayer!:D

Bob Aberton

First Post
Technically, under the rules, a sailor would be an expert.

It actually does take the skills of an expert to be a sailor (from personal experience, though on modern sailboats, not medieval ones). You've got to know how to predict the weather, about 100 different knots and when they shoudl be used, carpentry, sewing (to repair the sails), navigation, piloting (the steering of a boat), you get the idea...

Frosty

First Post
Tonguez said:
I agree with Squire James any of the heroes of American Folk Lore (and other folklore too would work)

John Henry, Grizzly Adams, Johnny Appleseed, Joe Magarac (The Pittsburg Steelman), the Giant with Babe the Blue Ox (whats his name?), Pescoe Bill, Little John (of Robin Hood fame), My Dad:) ...

Jimmy Hoffa

Baron Von StarBlade

My idea of a 15th Level commoner are those guys on TV who do the wood chopping events on ESPN! Any person who can chop down a tree that big in 30 seconds has to be at least 15th level.

Psion

Adventurer
LostSoul said:
Well, it's not a 15th level Expert. ;)

If somebody's going to make it to 15th level, they're probably going to have better training (ie. Expert, Rogue, or whatever) or they won't make it through all those challenges.

Yup.

The thing about the tables in the DMG is that they don't describe a single multi-class characters. I assume that the classes there reflect a characters highest class level. A 20th level commoner might really be a 7th level commoner / 7th level expert / 6th level rogue.

I usually assume that noboy has a commoner level over 10. And that is being generous.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
IMC, the party is just heading off into a realm that was once an great dwarven empire.

Now days, in the vast realms beyond the immediate vicinity of the cities, the land is true, wild frontier. All manner of beasties - lots of giants, trolls and gnolls, as well as plenty of other stuff. Even the odd wandering demon pack.

Sometimes, people who wish to forge a new life for themselves, away from lords and taxes and all the rest, choose to head into this land - to farm, or mine or whatever.

Some of these guys will be warriors.

A lot will be commoners who have learnt to look after themselves. Cause a village of 1st and 2nd level miner's won't last long when a couple of trolls wander into their settlement.

Many will die. Those that survive the harsh environement will have learnt how to look after themselves. To fight. But, essentially, most of them are still just farmers and miners. High levels in commoner, expert et al can be used very well to simulate this kind of character.

Yuan-Ti

First Post
How about the mayor? Remember, you don't need combat or to overcome traps to gain experience. There are lots of ways the "common" man could gain many levels, have lots of skills, a number of feats (of course, I agree, it makes little sense that a politician would have a lot of combat feats, but that is a problem with the game and/or DM).

Uller

Adventurer
15th level commoner?

You have to keep in mind what XP and level means in 3e. It is not just a measure of life experience or power. It is a measure of _importance_ in the world. A powerful king of the mightiest nation in the region would likely be a 15th+ level Artistocrat, even if he was born into his position and has never had to face real danger in all his life (assuming here he is truly a worthy King and not just some pawn of greater powers).

So...how about a domestic servant, who out of love and loyalty followed his master to the very ends of the earth and faced down creatures and entities whose wickedness and dark power were far beyond the comprehension of his simple mind because he grew up sheltered in a gentle farming country far from the troubles of the world?

Yes...I'd say Samwise was about a 15th level commoner upon his return to the shire.

Last edited:

Joker

First Post
I don't know if anyonw has said this but what does a 15th level commoner do to get 105000 xp?

Kill hordes of fiendish farm animals?

Does he get xp for planting potatoes?

Role-playing?

Ah, I don't know.

Tata.

Remove ads