• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What’s the fastest spaceship?

There's also the fanciful Broussard Drive/squeezer from the Thunder and Lightning series which is a spherical impenetrable silver force field that can be formed or have its size changed with no cost of energy. Thus, the squeezer can compress whatever matter is within it to an arbitrarily small volume and then vent the resulting plasma/energy in a controlled way.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In sci-fi pop culture, what’s the fastest?

(Time travel doesn’t count — obviously the TARDIS can arrive before it leaves)
The Millennium Falcon. Star Wars hyperspace seems to allow you to get anywhere in the galaxy in just a few hours. That blows away Warp Drive and other methods of space travel that try to have rules and limits.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I loved how the movie Solo explained that in a way that actually made sense. It was genius.
Well, genius in the sense that it was the repetition of a popular fan theory that's been around in school playgrounds and college dorms since the 80s. I agree it was genius, but the genius wasn't the writer of the movie Solo, it was some kid in the early 80s.

(I suppose there's a one in 7 billion chance the two are the same person!)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, genius in the sense that it was the repetition of a popular fan theory that's been around in school playgrounds and college dorms since the 80s. I agree it was genius, but the genius wasn't the writer of the movie Solo, it was some kid in the early 80s.

(I suppose there's a one in 7 billion chance the two are the same person!)
I hadn't heard it before then. Oh, well. I still appreciated it. :)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Also, the only correct answer to this is ...

"The fastest spaceship is YOUR IMAGINATION." Yes, I am channeling my third-grade librarian. You're welcome!

7d092dbd-cbfc-4061-b6c2-617fc2faeff4_text.gif

Zardnaar

Legend
Folding space, like Dune's Guild Highliner and the Event Horizon, means making a hole in the fabric of space so that no distance needs to be traveled, and start and destination exist in the same location. But doesn't that basically equate to teleportation, thus disqualifying both?

Likewise, Babylon 5's ships use Jump Gates to travel through hyperspace. They still need to move, but a much shorter distance. Again, this seems like a form of teleportation.

They are very quick but seem short range.
The empire doesn't seem large.

Dioltach

Legend
Also, the only correct answer to this is ...

"The fastest spaceship is YOUR IMAGINATION." Yes, I am channeling my third-grade librarian. You're welcome!
I believe it was the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle who posited that monarchy actually travelled faster than anything, moving from a deceased monarch to their successor instantaneously. "The king is dead, long live the king!"

Mad_Jack

Legend
I suppose cloning Galactus fifty thousand times and doing the Peasant Rail Gun Trick with a ship is pushing things a bit far? <dodges thrown pottery>

Okay, the fastest ship in Sci Fi is definitely Kirk and Spock - you know two minutes after the pilot of that show aired people were thinking it, lol. <ducks again>

Remove ads