• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 1e/2e books are still useful to a 3rd edition DM?

VirgilCaine

First Post
Okay, we've got votes for:

Book of Villains
Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide
Creative Campaigning
World Builder's Guidebook
Dungeoneer's Survival Guide

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Mark Hope said:
The 2e Campaign Sourcebook & Catacomb Guide also gets my vote for being the best guide on DMing better games. Excellent reading and pretty much edition-neutral.

I cast my vote for this one as well. I never even switched from 1E to 2E, but have found the book works well in 1E and 3.x. I have also made great use of my HREF series, especially Celtic and Viking sourcebooks, as well as my Greyhawk stuff (I know, that is setting specific).

DM

IronWolf

blank
I like the Volo's Guides for Forgotten Realms campaigns. Lots of fluff for various Inns, Taverns and more. It can really help to get the mind turning.

Khayman

First Post
On my shelf, I still have copies of the 1e Dungeon Masters Guide and the original Manual of the Planes, plus some of the old Mayfair Games supplements.

That's in addition to a whackload of OD&D material for my Mystara game. Yep, fifteen years in the Known World and it keeps on going... and going... and going...

Edit: Oh yeah, I'll second (or third) Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog. I was never an FR fan, but the book is eminently liftable for other campaigms

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I'll go for Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog too, along with all the Planescape material including the Monstrous Compendium appendixes which are excellent. I've just bought Faiths & Avatars and Powers & Pantheons on ebay -- both are really good.

I also still use the 1e Manual of the Planes and Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, and the 2e World Builder's Guidebook and Of Ships and the Sea.

Cheers

Richard

reanjr

First Post
The Van Richten's Guides are still the best of books devoted to a single monster. They're Ravenloft branded, but fine for general use in any campaign with undead, werebeasts, or golems. The fiends one probably has more limited use to a traditional campaign.

twofalls

DM Beadle
I realize that WoTC are coming out with their environmental series of books, however I don't intend on picking them up. I have a Wilderness Survival guide (two of them actually) and the less useful Dungeoneer's Survival Guide and they give me all the crunch I need to run believable outdoors adventures. The crunch might not be 3.0, but its still completely usable.

Other books I find handy are the many many setting books I have as has been mentioned already several times, and my large collection of Dragon and Dungeon magazines. Lots of gold to be mined in those pages. :)

Breakdaddy

First Post
Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide
Creative Campaigning
World Builder's Guidebook
Elminsters Ecologies
Auroras Whole Realm Guide
Encyclopedia Magica Vol 1-4

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads