• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 3 Things Would You Do...

Cor Azer

First Post
Interesting? Or better? Does it have to be realistic?

'cause, making it so griefers and trolls got some sort of ice cream headache when doing their thing would be nice.

More seriously, I really don't have the visionary required for such things, but making the Internet faster and more secure would certainly improve the playground for those who are visionary.

Jack7

First Post
More seriously, I really don't have the visionary required for such things, but making the Internet faster and more secure would certainly improve the playground for those who are visionary.

You have the vision for whatever you wanna have the vision for. Don't sell your potential short.

By the way it can be as realistic, or not, as you prefer. Many visions start out very unrealistic, and become so over time.

Interesting that most of you are listing things you don't like about the current internet that you would eliminate. I was thinking either changes to current capabilities, or add-on capabilities. But now that you mention it, you're right. A lot of what we have now we could stand to lose. Or at the very least, lose the way things are currently done.

Janx

Hero
I've always wanted the internet to be like cyberspace, as in a virtual reality playground that is also a working interface for regular computer usage.

For instance, if PS3 home didn't suck, imagine booting into Home, instead of the Xbar interface. Navigating the starting space would interact with your movies, music and games (which could be represented as a TV, stereo and arcade console in your apartment).

I think for it to work, some streamlining would be needed to make the menuing, etc be efficient. But I could easily see navigating rooms to represent directories, etc. One of my college projects was a 2d Location Based interface on that concept.

And obviously, gettng rid of spam, malware and viruses would greatly improve the internet.

I'd also fully legislate net neutrality, preventing comcast from slowing down NetFlix traffic because it competes with their own product. Curtailing limits on bandwidth usage and overage policies would also be important

I got so excited I came up with three sets of three: :)

1) Ban bandwidth limits
2) Require fiber transmission capabilities for all providers (DSL/Dial up - gone)
3) Punish spammers with short term community service

4) Create a fair trade/market agreement for all markets
5) Increase security
6) Ensure access to certain "Adult" items were more regulated so those that are illegally viewing cannot do so (not limiting legal access - just something better than net nanny and the like)

7) Ban governmental controls (but not access or monitoring)
8) Read my lips - No Net Taxes!!!
9) Free email for everyone!

Jack7

First Post
As for me, this is what I'd do. Though it too may end up being more than 3 things.

And of course I know the technology is still in the infant-stage, very primitive, and as yet wholly undeveloped compared to the possibilities. And you'll also need input and output devices, and computers, and networks that will support such developments, but given those caveats a'priori, this is what I'd do:

1. Visiting an internet site would be like visiting an "Enhanced Real World" site. It would not be like visiting a current site. It would be like going to a real place (far better and far more realistic than current virtual world sites), only there would be add on levels of para-naturalism. Where things that cannot happen in real life, or that would be extremely difficult to do in real life, would be possible. I'd eliminate all but the most absolutely necessary text and text interactions. Visiting sites on the internet would be experientially and sensually interactive, as in real life. Information would be exchanged in a sensory and experiential fashion, as in real life, with data packet back-ups or carry outs as an additional add on.

For instance if one visited a site about Russian Vikings then it would be like going to a Russian Viking village. You'd talk to other visitors and you'd talk to Viking era guides and inhabitants of the village. If you wanted specific information you could talk to a village elder and buy a virtual book which you'd take with you back to your "home" (on your computer) and could be installed and that book would contain "the exchanges" which would include data, text, histories, backgrounds, demonstrations, sounds, examples, etc. that could be used on your computer. It'd be like installing a micro-version of the Russian Viking internet site you just visited on your site.

This would also be true of visiting a web based store. Instead of going to a site and seeing a picture of and/or write up of a product, you'd be able to examine and pick up a virtual version of the product, scan it with a virtual device, and the scan would contain all relevant information on the product, such as compatibility, functions, etc. You'd even be able to scan a virtual simulation of the product that you could then transfer instantaneously to your "Home Space" to see how it would look and behave in the area of your own home where the real product would be installed.

2. Black Webs and Secerned Nets - I would greatly enhance and enlarge Black Web sites. I would also begin to break the web apart into sub-Realms or sub-areas that people could visit that would have a particular culture or specialized on a particular subject matter. The web is simply too big, and has been for awhile, to be properly managed as a single domain (open to all at all times) enterprise. The way the internet operates now guarantees crashes and overtaxed technological and system networks.

These divisions could be like nations (divided by a culture), like cities (divided by smaller areas with a wide range of smaller activities within them), or they could be divided like subject matter categories (a library). Though there is no reason that you couldn't have different types of divisions all operating simultaneously.

(Actually these divisions already exist - LANs, RANS, etc. - for security purposes, for instance there are military and governmental and corporate sub-webs that cannot be accessed without the proper security protocols or without hacking or cracking attempts. But I'm talking more about divisions for enhanced and easier use, not division for restricted physical or security access.)

3. Alpha Areas - although I am in no way wedded to this idea it is my attempt to solve some of the funding difficulties inherent in the Web and in developing the Internet properly. I would allow and encourage the development of Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta Areas and sites on the Web.

Alpha areas and sites would be entirely for profit and funded by Free Market business and commercial activity. They would probably also be paid areas and sites that you'd either pay a fee to visit or become a member through a pay structure.

Beta would be partial pay.

Gamma would be for various governmental interests.

Delta would be free, public access areas and sites.

To use the City analogy above. Say you had a Secerned Net that was structured like a city. In any city are areas and buildings and sites you can only visit by paying for access, areas that only certain cooperative members can visit (such as workers at a business), and areas that are free to all, such as parks and public areas.

Well, that's all I have time for now. Thanks for your responses.

Janx, I liked your cyberspace idea but couldn't give you XP for it. Wouldn't let me.

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
1 less annoying ways to monetize quality content.

2 trolls and spammers get outed and held accountable for their words

3 A common sense filter. You are asked "are you sure?' 3 times before you post something stupid.

Remove ads