• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 3 WOTC books to buy????

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Expanded Psionics Handbook -- I love Psionics, but almost all of the information is available online, and the online version has all the errata in already.

Tome of Magic -- I love the Binder, and I like the other two classes, but they are underpowered and non-trivial to fix, and also non-trivial to integrate into a "regular" campaign. Excellent value as inspiration for a world-builder or tinkerer; not much value otherwise.

Unearthed Arcana -- Good stuff, but also available online (same place as Psionics, but in the "Variants" section). If money is an issue, don't buy this book.

- - -

Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords -- Fun fun fun new system that integrates well with D&D and makes combat fun for melee guys again. I love this book.

Player's Handbook II -- Nice new classes, good selection of new spells, affiliations are cool. One of the best 3.5e supplements ever.

- - -

That's really it. I haven't gotten tons of value from the Spell Compendium -- there are enough bad things in there that it's been work sorting through what's merely good vs. what's seriously broken. No opinion on Magic Item Compendium yet.

Cheers, -- N

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
broghammerj said:
I already own MM 1+2, PHB, DMG, Libris Mortis, Eberron core book. Looking for Enworld's best recommendation.
Player's Handbook II, Lords of Madness, and Expanded Psionics Handbook would be my recommendations.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I loved Draconomicon and Lords of Madness. Draconomicon might be a little more expensive than what you want, though, depending on where you get it.

Also, if you're a DM, go for Magic Item Compendium. Lots of options and a very easy-to-use treasure generating system.

Erratic K

First Post
3.5 Books:

UA- Unearth Arcana- good for players and GMs.
XPH- Expanded Psionics Book- good for players and GMs, especially in Eberron
PGtE- Players Guide to Ebberon- good for players and GMs for Eberron, okay for GMs not doing Eberron (idea mining).

3.0 Books:
Manual of the Planes- great reading, good ideas for GMs/world builders, not as much for players

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting- beautiful book good for players or GMS

Odhanan

Adventurer
PHB2
Unearthed Arcana
Magic Item Compendium

Switch UA for Spell Compendium if you prefer adding to the core mechanics instead of modifying/experimenting with them to create your own.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads