• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 5e got wrong

Jabborwacky

First Post
If there's a name attached, the implication has long been that some wizard with that name created the spell. Sorcerers don't create, write down, and pass down spells.

That is true, but its not helpful in the mechanical sense. They both use the same kind of destructive spells, so they either have to make a unique acid spell specifically for the sorcerer to which the wizard has access, but no real use for given melf's acid arrow, or they give the sorcerer a unique acid spell a wizard cannot cast. I think its a good example of where they should violate their status quo just a bit. The goal was to prevent redundant spells from taking up space in the system, after all.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
That is true, but its not helpful in the mechanical sense. They both use the same kind of destructive spells, so they either have to make a unique acid spell specifically for the sorcerer that the wizard has access to, but no real use for given he has melf's acid arrow, or they give the sorcerer a unique acid spell a wizard cannot cast.
The later doesn't really make any sense given the lore, but the current status quo makes some sorcerer options significantly less effective than others.
Sure, and in a game as loose as 5e is in it's design & implementation, there's always going to be something like that which shakes out theoretically inferior by the numbers. Thing is, if your Acidic Sorcerer isn't in a party with the by-the-numbers-superior Flaming Sorcerer, it's not really going to matter - you can't be overshadowed by someone who doesn't show up. Even if they are juxtaposed in the same party, the DM can still make sure each gets ample splotlight time, just by tailoring challenges to make sure each gets to be useful. So maybe there'll be a few more fire-resistant monsters than might be statistically predicted...

Last edited:

Ohillion

First Post
Yep, it's a matter of 'want' not need. You can tell a great story freestyle, you don't even need a system. You could run a game where the PCs are all identically-statted bog-standard MM kobolds, just give 'em names, personalities, a source of conflict, and opportunities for character development.

I've actually done exactly this and we did it successfully. Sometimes, pulling the players out of what they know and getting them to be creative by using what they know in unique and new ways is very rewarding on both sides of the DM screen.

Jabborwacky

First Post
Its not the damage that's really the issue so much as the complete absence of a given element. You can find a fire spell at almost every level, yet the only immediately recognized acid spell on the sorcerer spell list is the acid splash cantrip. So we have the option to play a sorcerer related to a black dragon, but nothing except a cantrip and maybe cloud kill that uses acid. Giving sorcerers some unique spells different from the wizard and warlock could help. After all, sorcerers were the blaster mages of D&D before the warlock came about. Granting them more flexibility in that role would certainly help them stand out from warlocks and wizards.

Last edited:

hawkeyefan

Legend
Its not the damage that's really the issue so much as the complete absence of a given element. You can find a fire spell at almost every level, yet the only immediately recognized acid spell on the sorcerer spell list is the acid splash cantrip. So we have the option to play a sorcerer related to a black dragon, but nothing except a cantrip and maybe cloud kill that uses acid. There are some definite holes that need to get filled on the sorcerer list, and I think its entirely reasonable to make them unique to the sorcerer. After all, sorcerers were the blaster mages of D&D before the warlock came about. Granting them more flexibility in that role would certainly help them stand out from warlocks and wizards.

I am being genuine when I ask...can't you just reskin almost any fire spell or cold spell to be any other type of elemental/energy damage?

Instead of fireball, you can have acid burst, or thunder clap. Instead of scorching ray, acid blast, or arctic ray.

Maybe not all will be a perfect fit for other types of elements, but I think there's enough there to work with that it should be a pretty easy fix.

psychophipps

Explorer
I am being genuine when I ask...can't you just reskin almost any fire spell or cold spell to be any other type of elemental/energy damage?

Instead of fireball, you can have acid burst, or thunder clap. Instead of scorching ray, acid blast, or arctic ray.

Maybe not all will be a perfect fit for other types of elements, but I think there's enough there to work with that it should be a pretty easy fix.

It's exactly this kind of thinking that I'm talking about. You can "fix" almost anything with just a bit of swapping around and it works out better for everyone involved.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Giving sorcerers some unique spells different from the wizard and warlock could help. After all, sorcerers were the blaster mages of D&D before the warlock came about. Granting them more flexibility in that role would certainly help them stand out from warlocks and wizards.
Maybe 'generic' more than unique?

You could have a series of 'Elemental ______' spells. Bolt, blast, eruption, storm, whatever. When you learn the spell, you pick a damage type.

Only issue is that not all damage types are created equal. Some face more common resistances than others, for instance.

Azurewraith

Explorer
On the topic of wizard and sorcerer, I feel they should cast completely differently. The sorcerer should "make" magic it should be as simple as choosing an element and spell shape(cone, cube etc) and should be able to improv any effect they wish. Sorcery points would become much more like spell points with a table for what effects cost/subtract from a spell it wouldn't be overly complex(I think)

As for wizards their spells should be uber strict a fireball is a fireball and fly is fly. They study magic and practice swishes and flicks to get it right.

Maybe it will be to complex I have a tendency to try a make elaborate complex systems. Would certainly fix the issue that sorcerers are just naff wizards due to this neo-vancian magic.

CapnZapp

Legend
On the topic of wizard and sorcerer, I feel they should cast completely differently.
Problem is, psionics need that differentiation even more bad.

Perhaps the easiest thing would have been to admit "between wizards and warlocks, there simply is not enough design space for a full class"

...and then remove the Sorcerer, whose main reason de etre was its spontaneous casting in 3E.

Remove Sorcerer the class, that is. Not the character archetype. But to realize that's an archetype best served by combining existing game elements.

Either that, or they should have withdrawn it from the PHB as not-tested-enough and saved it for, say, the Elemental Evil book.

Though I'm aware they desperately wanted 5e to become a success, so it's easy for me to cut away from the core books now, when it's already a hit.

Remove ads