• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What 5E Most Needs Is...Usable Parts

Mercurius

Legend
Of course everyone will have a different answer to the question of "What 5E most needs," from "Just about everything" to "Absolutely nothing" to "Meh" and all sorts of variations in-between. But as I try to get a campaign going in an otherwise very busy adult person's life, with work, spouse, children, graduate school (thankfully ending), other hobbies and passions, etc, I've been struggling with preparation time and found that what is most lacking for me are...usable parts. Or perhaps places is more accurate, but "part" is a bit more abstract and thus more customizable to different individuals.

Let me explain what I mean. First of all, I love 5E - best edition yet, in my opinion. I also love homebrewing; for me a major aspect of the enjoyment of playing D&D is making up a world, stories within that world, and bringing it to life in a session. Yet what I don't enjoy as much, and what tends to take up the most time, is designing specific adventures. I never seem to like any story arc or adventure path enough to run one in its entirety, nor do I have the time or perhaps mental wherewithal to take an overall excellent mega-campaign like, say, Rise of the Runelords, and adapt it to my world. What I'd like to do is spend my preparation time on world building, and then insert "parts" into it for game-play.

Here's what I mean by Usable Parts:
- Adventure modules
- Short scenarios
- Detailed encounters
- Site locations (including maps)
- Factions/guilds/orders
- NPCs
- Etc

While we're at it, why not an online generator that allows you to enter in various parameters and randomly generates an adventure/scenario/encounter/site? I couldn't create such a program but I don't know why someone can't do it, or hasn't done it.

In other words, everything in-between what we actually have and are seemingly getting from WotC for the foreseeable future. What we've gotten so far is an amazing core rule set and a couple of mega-campaigns, aka story arcs. But what we're not getting is the in-between - the modular pieces to insert into a campaign world, that anyone can use.

So my hope is that we see either WotC giving us more parts, or a gaming license that opens the doors for other publishers to create these usable parts. It seems so obviously useful to a wide number of DMs that I'm not really sure why this isn't a major aspect of the product line-up for WotC. It seems that WotC is catering to the two extremes of the market: Those DMs that simply want to run whatever the story arc du jour is, and those that want to do everything on their own. Aren't the majority of us somewhere in-between or am I completely off-base about this?

What are your thoughts? On this subject, preferably.;)

Zaran

Adventurer
Yeah, I think the game could use more GM aids in all forms and created for this edition. That way I don't have to spend time house ruling and quality checking. I wish there was a happy medium between "All you get is an adventure path" and "Zounds! That's a lot of dead trees!"

Alkavian

First Post
I would certainly like to see more 'bit' modules. I homebrew most of my own campaigns. I would likely never run HotDQ or other such modules. I prefer to build the overall story arc myself (though I might be in the minority with that). I would LOVE to have small adventures that are campaign neutral and limited to say 1-2 total levels. A module dealing with the assassination of a local noble by a thieves guild that spans character levels 3-4 would be an example. Or a dungeon crawl in search of a rare magical herb for a local Druid enclave that deals with a run through an abandoned Dwarf outpost that will take characters from level 6 to 7....I think you get the idea. I like your idea of self-contained encounters as well. A well built black dragon lair in a swamp or a coordinated ambush by orcs along a trade route would be neat as well. Basically, I would like to see options to plug-and-play to create unique campaign progressions which can merge with my existing work.

neobolts

Explorer
Here's what I mean by Usable Parts:
- Adventure modules
- Short scenarios
- Detailed encounters
- Site locations (including maps)
- Factions/guilds/orders
- NPCs
- Etc
It seems that WotC is catering to the two extremes of the market: Those DMs that simply want to run whatever the story arc du jour is, and those that want to do everything on their own. Aren't the majority of us somewhere in-between or am I completely off-base about this?

What are your thoughts? On this subject, preferably.;)

5e versions of...
  • Dungeon Delve (4e)
  • NPC Codex (Pathfinder)

...would give me a nearly complete 5e DM's toolkit (and cover a lot of your wants).

LandOfConfusion

First Post
Yep I totally agree. I am currently at work and have absolutely nothing planned for my game tonight. With this edition I am having a real hard time coming up with a decent campaign and I could really use some adventures to build off of. Tonight's game kinda got set up on short notice, so I could really use a stand alone dungeon to crawl or something. I just have too much going on in a busy adult life and I am lazy on to of that. Having to come up with absolutely everything all the time is tough.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Yep I totally agree. I am currently at work and have absolutely nothing planned for my game tonight. With this edition I am having a real hard time coming up with a decent campaign and I could really use some adventures to build off of. Tonight's game kinda got set up on short notice, so I could really use a stand alone dungeon to crawl or something. I just have too much going on in a busy adult life and I am lazy on to of that. Having to come up with absolutely everything all the time is tough.
PotA is a grab-bag of dungeons. If you have a need for this kind of thing, and a tiny bit of time for prep, it's a good buy. I feel like maybe this point is getting lost in the "oh not another mega-campaign" narrative.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Absolutely agreed. One of the polls about what 5e needed this was my "other" comment.

I don't run modules, and I definitely don't run adventure paths. But I do mine them for things I can grab. Interesting encounters, items, set pieces, NPCs, etc. I'd love to see more of that sort of thing, building blocks for me to tweak to speed up my prep. Heck, even a set of side plots to throw on top of modules to make the richer.

Zaran

Adventurer
PotA is a grab-bag of dungeons. If you have a need for this kind of thing, and a tiny bit of time for prep, it's a good buy. I feel like maybe this point is getting lost in the "oh not another mega-campaign" narrative.

I'm aware that it's not a big railroad like Hoard of the Dairy Queen. But 50 dollars is too much if I'm only going to treat it like single session game source. Even using all the maps and turning it into a completely different campaign isn't worth 50 dollars plus all the extra time it would take me to redo it. I'd much rather have six 20$ adventures that are the size of the starter set that I can pick and choose from or just use outright. Will I spending more money? Yes, but I will get a lot more out of my purchases.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Not the kinds of resources I've ever felt a strong need for. I'd only use modules when expected in organized play like AL. My style tends more towards the improvisational, 4e was the only edition since early AD&D where I did any prep for encounters, and that only because it was so easy. 5e encounter design guidelines aren't really worth going through, though, and monsters are easily condensed into a few critical number as in classic D&D (and it's easy to ballpark those numbers) so it really lends itself to no/minimal prep and improvisation. Fun for me, but if that's not your style...

One thing I noticed running HotDQ for encounters and AL adventures is that 5e's been a mixed bag, so far. But, at a local convention a few months ago, I ran a selection of modules from prior eds, and they were all pretty easy to convert on the fly. AD&D and Basic D&D, in particular, were very easy to map to 5e with minimal adjustments. (Mind you, this is IMX, at low level - YMMV.) There is wealth of old 'modules' (adventures) for classic D&D, and any of them could be adapted to 5e quite easily, I'm sure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads