• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What 5e rule/option/class/item etc. do you regret allowing into your game

Stalker0

Legend
Not a regret, but an item that needs some watchfulness is the Candle of Invocation.

The advantage benefits are great, but the unlimited 1st level spells are amazing. Don't underestimate that power.

guachi

Hero
Wall of Stone.

My player (a dwarf druid) wanted to cast the wall of stone in the air and have the whole stone wall fall down on top of a beholder for ungodly amounts of damage.

Like an idiot, i allowed it.

The campaign is over now, and this has always bothered me because i never looked the spell up for myself, just kinda trusting the player.

The spell shouldn't have worked that way. The spell clearly states that it has to be attached to something or "merge with and be solidly supported by existing stone." So i cannot even be an unfinished bridge ready to fall down or anything either.

I thought he found a chink the game. i worried that he would spam that spell for the rest of the session. Fortunately, he dropped out due to unrelated personal reasons.

The point is: I trusted him to know what the hell he is doing.

And he didn't.

The beholder died.

When players cast spells for the first time I ask them to read the description aloud. There's usually something that someone has forgotten about the spell. Usually that person is me but by reading it aloud everyone at the table is then aware of what the spell can and cannot do.

guachi

Hero
I regret allowing players to administer a potion of healing or a goodberry to an unconscious character. Wish I had disallowed that at the beginning of the campaign.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I regret allowing players to administer a potion of healing or a goodberry to an unconscious character. Wish I had disallowed that at the beginning of the campaign.

The house rule I have is that these have to be administered as a suppository.

You know, to avoid issues with choking.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Not a regret, but an item that needs some watchfulness is the Candle of Invocation.

The advantage benefits are great, but the unlimited 1st level spells are amazing. Don't underestimate that power.
The big bad in my next campaign is going to be demigod (way down the line, hopefully) , I think some groups my PCs encounter (eventually) will have 1 or 2 of these.

The nice thing about these candles is that finding them on an opposing group all but guarantees that they won't match up with the party.

The gate feature still works, but that's a one use and I can definitely work it into the campaign.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

smbakeresq

Explorer
What's SS & CE exploit? I'm really horrible with acronyms, heh.

You take fighter for Archery Style for +2 to hit, then Sharpshooter and Crossbow expert to get -3 to hit for +10 damage on ranged attacks with no penalty for range and make a bonus action attack with a hand crossbow (since you can ignore loading.) This allows you to be more accurate with same damage bonus at target 120' 3/4 hidden behind a wall then a great weapon fighter would be standing next to his target.

Seems fair. But its RAW so its used.

Pact of Chain familiar + Invisibility who run the show.
Scout, Spy, negotiation at distance, testing on traps, sometime all exploration turn around the familiar rather than the whole party.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The house rule I have is that these have to be administered as a suppository.

You know, to avoid issues with choking.
I tend to be a bit more freeform with my decisions, those kind of rulings can make you seem anal-retentive.

Remove ads