D&D 5E What 5e rule/option/class/item etc. do you regret allowing into your game

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
If I'm not mistaken, that's sharpshooter and crossbow expert.

That's a lot of feats!

I'm not sure what is supposed to be gleaned from that combo. Attacking with a one-handed weapon for static damage and then using the -5/+10 with a hand crossbow for damage output? Can't be two one-handed crossbows; I suppose that's a tiny bit more damage output than Great Weapon Master. Or, using extra attack with a heavy crossbow and using the -5/+10?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Oops, I forgot to actually give an example of something I did and regretted. Silly me.

So here goes. I was a big fan of The Complete Book of Humanoids, and later, Savage Species. Playing a cool monster sounded like a lot of fun. Sadly, few games allowed me the opportunity to do this myself, so I said, well hell, I'll run a monster race game!

Now, I figured, all the higher stats and cool powers the PC's would have could be balanced with slightly higher challenges...and this is technically correct (but not the best kind of correct!). What I didn't anticipate was the disparity between one character and the next- this is always a problem in any game, but it was suddenly magnified by a factor of Holy Unearthed Arcana, Batman!

The Djinni Rogue was offensively powerful with many neat tricks, but had no hit points. The Pixie Monk was unhittable, but had no offense. The Ogre Magi Paladin had a glass jaw, and the Avoral Ranger could kill all the things with archery.

The Succubus Sorcerer had unbeatable save DC's (and I was so happy she was a blaster), and the less said about the Hound Archon Cleric the better.

Building an encounter that could challenge certain party members without killing the rest was nearly impossible. By going from "this guy gets +2 Dex and is small sized" and "this guy has +2 Con but is beardy" to "this guy has +8 Dex and can fly" and "this guy is large sized and has fast healing" made an already hard task impossible.

Despite the cool story and interesting characters, I had to end the campaign early, and I deeply regret that, because it was nobody's fault but mine.

Remove ads