• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What about negative stat modifiers?

Trainz

Explorer
I perused the books, and I might have missed it, but what about negative stat scores?

For example, If I have 16 Dex (+3) and 8 Int (-1), I will obviously go with Dex for my Reflex defense (and AC bonus), but am I penalized with my low Int, for a net bonus on AC and Ref of +2 (+3 -1)?

If not, what is the penalty for having a low Int, just low Int based skills?

Seems weird...

ravenight

First Post
Low Int-based skills is the only additional disadvantage of Int 8 as compared to Int 10 that I see. I suppose if you used an attack that added your int modifier to damage, that would give -1 also (since it isn't explicitly referred to as a bonus, it can be negative, I think).

Stalker0

Legend
Int is the dump stat of 4e its true.

In 4e, a lot more classes use int than before (Wizards, Warlocks, and int based Warlords).

However, for classes that don't primarily use it, there is no reason to have it.

Otterscrubber

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Int is the dump stat of 4e its true.

In 4e, a lot more classes use int than before (Wizards, Warlocks, and int based Warlords).

However, for classes that don't primarily use it, there is no reason to have it.

And they say this game lacks realism.........:)

Vaeron

Explorer
What is the penalty in real life for having a lower than average int? Nothing, beyond not being as good at things that require a quick mind, making bad choices, and being shut out of certain careers/hobbies/etc. 4e works exactly the same way.

You certainly could make a wizard with Int 10, and he could advance all the way up to level 30 if he somehow managed to do so. But his spells would be much, much, much less effective than a wizard with higher int.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Trainz said:
For example, If I have 16 Dex (+3) and 8 Int (-1), I will obviously go with Dex for my Reflex defense (and AC bonus), but am I penalized with my low Int, for a net bonus on AC and Ref of +2 (+3 -1)?

To clarify, the final bonus on AC and Ref would be +3 (you take the higher of the two scores, rather than their sum).

Int does have uses if you go into rituals, make monster knowledge checks, etc.

James McMurray

First Post
Trainz said:
I perused the books, and I might have missed it, but what about negative stat scores?

If not, what is the penalty for having a low Int, just low Int based skills?

Seems weird...

On the flip side, what if you have Dex +3 and Int +1, you'll go with Dex for defense, and the only bonus for having a positive intelligence modifier is higher Int based skills. Is that weird?

Destil

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
The same holds true for everything except Con. And Str if you are in melee (opportunity attacks). [Initiative is just a skill that wasn't written up as one]

NorthSaber

First Post
Some powers and features are downright silly if you have a negative stat modifier. I suppose you can't do negative damage or negative push (like a multiclass fighter/wizard with Thunderwave and Wis 8), but there are some abilities that use a stat bonus instead of a static number if some condition is met, like Silverstep (push 1, or push = Dex mod with spear or polearm), or Howl of Doom (push 2, or push = 1+Int mod with Infernal Pact). I know it's rare to have such a low secondary/tertiary stat, but if it happens, could the player choose to use the better option? I think RAW wouldn't allow it.

Remove ads