What adventure module have you pillaged the most without using the main plot?

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
For me it's either T1 - The Village of Hommlett or B2 The Keep on the Borderlands (not that B2 actually HAS much of a plot. In that way it's PERFECT for a starting adventure). I've used B2 as a conversion example for various versions of D&D when I played D&D. I've always felt that if I can convert and run it with whatever version that I'd be able to run that version of D&D with few issues.

Evaniel

Filthy Casual (he/him)
I've used Storm King's Thunder for place-based encounters, its random encounter tables, and its gazetteer (which was frankly stronger than SCAG) for several campaigns.

I've run PotA twice now, and both times, the Red Larch and surface stuff was far stronger than the back half of the campaign. I could easily see stealing material from it for use elsewhere.

Duo Maxwell

Explorer
This is like the only WOTC book I want to buy.. I'm really torn, because I love the premise, and I'm sure I'd steal a lot of good content from it,

But I am holding out in the hopes that I will eventually get to play it.. So I'm avoiding it to avoid spoilers
I definitely pillaged a few encounters and maps from here. The kid had a delight meeting the NPCs and she has more of an attachment to those characters than the ones from the Sword Coast.

Duo Maxwell

Explorer
For me it's either T1 - The Village of Hommlett or B2 The Keep on the Borderlands (not that B2 actually HAS much of a plot. In that way it's PERFECT for a starting adventure). I've used B2 as a conversion example for various versions of D&D when I played D&D. I've always felt that if I can convert and run it with whatever version that I'd be able to run that version of D&D with few issues.
T1 was my brother's go-to supplement for his game. And I am so glad I have a friend who ran it for us decades ago. Again, this was one of those adventures where I can easily steal a map of a building for my own group on a whim.

Duo Maxwell

Explorer
I've used Storm King's Thunder for place-based encounters, its random encounter tables, and its gazetteer (which was frankly stronger than SCAG) for several campaigns.

I've run PotA twice now, and both times, the Red Larch and surface stuff was far stronger than the back half of the campaign. I could easily see stealing material from it for use elsewhere.
When SKT was released, it was the book I used to enhance my group's playthrough of PotA. I love the map of Triboar! It almost became a base of operations for the players.

Duo Maxwell

Explorer
Probably Sunless Citadel to be honest. It's light on plot anyway, but I've used the top layer of the citadel for a lot of different games.
I ran the top layer, too. The kid befriended Meepo long enough to watch him die a tragic death an hour later :eek:

Duo Maxwell

Explorer
The Official Skyrim Guide. It's about 700 pages of items, spells, builds, quests, maps, towns, dungeons... I would choose it over my entire 3&D collection, but just barely.
I actually did this with the official Oblivion guide for my 3e and Pathfinder games. I enjoyed the side quests and none of my friends had played Oblivion, so I was able to easily slip them into my game sessions without them noticing.

Remove ads