• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Alignment do you prefer to play?

What alignment do you prefer to play (not GM- just play)

• Lawful Good

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Neutral Good

Votes: 156 38.6%
  • Chaotic Good

Votes: 95 23.5%
  • Lawful Neutral

Votes: 27 6.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Chaotic Neutral

Votes: 31 7.7%
  • Lawful Evil

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • Neutral Evil

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Chaotic Evil

Votes: 4 1.0%

BlackSilver

First Post
During another thread I became curious about what alignments people liked to play.

Another curiousity- do you think that the alignment you prefer to play has anything to do with your view of the world and how you live your life?

Please no arguments, keep this civil, I dislike hostility. Thank you.

Corsair

First Post
I play just about any good alignment, though I prefer LG or CG over NG.

However deep down inside, I have a soft spot for LE. I've been prevented from playing a LE character for a while due to the paladin in the group though :( One of my last LE characters who I loved to bits was a LE monk who was adventuring solely to increase his personal skills and become a more deadly weapon. He adventured with his companions because he was their friend (and actually related to one of them). He wasn't a bad person, he just didn't see the point in being a dogooder. You have to worry about numero uno first.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
NE-I can get away with being a selfish prick and yet still work with the good guys to get the job done. As long as I get paid in the end, that's all that matters!

Mr. Kaze

First Post
I like Chaotic Good -- it gives me the flexibility to react to whatever behaviors people are engaging in while still having a value-based goal to strive for worthy of being a hero.

For example, the party got in trouble for reckless endangerment and the corrupt judge wanted a collection of illegal drugs to buy him off. Party agrees to go get him the drugs. While they're off harvesting the drugs, I arrange with his heir that the party is going to kill the corrupt judge for a variety of reasons which can be summarized as "he's chaotic evil". Party regroups, drugs get handed off, and we move in to kick the corrupt old coot's butt. Only to find out that he grossly outlevels us. But we forced him to flee, abandoning his devil friends, child sacrifice ritual, position as judge, and his drugs. Just a matter of getting his guard down...

Of course, that character also snaked a land deal out from under the party when they executed some low-level bandits who had surrendered. Not sure they ever found out that it was me.

::Kaze (hates compulsion effects)

Wombat

First Post
None

I prefer alignment-less games.

If I have to choose one, I gravitate towards Chaotic Good, but that is only if alignment is truly required.

Trickstergod

First Post
Chaotic Good that leans closely to Neutral Good.

I prefer playing someone good, someone who cares and will go out of his way to help others, anyway, but sometimes really just want to say the heck with laws or the like and get impulsive. Sometimes, doors just need to be kicked down.

The vast majority of my characters have been Chaotic Good. Unless it's a paladin, I doubt I've really played many Lawful Good characters. I see lawfulness being problematic in general for adventurer types, as a matter of fact.

Curiously, if I'm playing evil, though, I gravitate more towards Lawful or Neutral Evil. Chaotic Evil is possibly the most problematic of all alignments, though it isn't always.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
I mostly play CG. I like my chars to be open to impulsive & reckless actions (such as swinging on a rope onto the deck of a burning ship, because hey! THE TREASURE IS SINKING!), but basically good (particularly in wanting to see loot dispersed fairly to everyone in the group).

I have played a couple of CNs lately, though, & that's interesting. One is CN because, well, he'd really rather heal himself than anyone else (unless he needs a meat shield). The other, however, is CN simply because his definition of 'good', & his obsessive (sociopathic?) devotion to it requires some rather harsh actions which simply can't fit into the general societal definition of CG.

Zappo

Explorer
I always choose alignment after having decided the character's motivation and personality. Alignment is something that emerges, not something that defines. I end up with Good characters more often than not (no preference on the ethics axis though).

They are easily motivated, since they'll work for a reward, or for power, or simply because it's the right thing to do. They often get along well with other characters. I dislike Evil characters, because I find that in the majority of cases they either get played like Neutrals or end up disrupting the game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads