• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what alignment is this?

I can't figure out what alignment this character I'm making and is this the right place to ask. Here he is: Asil, a seemingly emotionless killer and secretive about every thing he seem to live pourly for combat and death but on the other hand the few who know him well know that he would easily lay down his life to save his campanions if nesessary.
PS: Class (if level 20) Rogue6/Fighter4/Dervish10
PPS:stats (as level20 with choice rolls) str16 dex23 con12 int16 wis13 cha8

Rabelais

First Post
Lawful Evil, and I'll tell you why

He acts without remorse, or pity. He kills without any regard for mercy. That's Evil, with a Capital E, and if this message board would allow it, I would underline it three times with red ink.

He wouldn't hesitate to lay down his life for those he holds in high regard. If he were German and 100 years old, he'd be a Nazi... If he were Italian and 500 years old, he'd be a patron of the arts, and a Medici prince, or maybe a Pope, or perhaps both... the lines were blurry back then...

If you really want to give this unmistakably EVIL character depth, don't make him cold and emotionless when he deals with his compatriots. Make him a father figure, warm and pleasant to be around. I recently finished a World War II history class, and I discovered something that I didn't expect. One of the horrors of the Nazi's wasn't that they murdered 11 million people in cold blood... It's that at night they went home to their children and read them bedtime stories. then kissed their wives who loved them good night, and on holiday they would hug their nieces and nephews. The horror of what happened was created by humans... making them into monsters removes the horror. What's truely awful is that they were normal people.

shilsen

Adventurer
Rabelais said:
If you really want to give this unmistakably EVIL character depth, don't make him cold and emotionless when he deals with his compatriots. Make him a father figure, warm and pleasant to be around. I recently finished a World War II history class, and I discovered something that I didn't expect. One of the horrors of the Nazi's wasn't that they murdered 11 million people in cold blood... It's that at night they went home to their children and read them bedtime stories. then kissed their wives who loved them good night, and on holiday they would hug their nieces and nephews. The horror of what happened was created by humans... making them into monsters removes the horror. What's truely awful is that they were normal people.

My students tend to freak out a bit when they encounter this kind of information. And I agree with you that this is this scariest kind of evil, which is why many of my BBEGs tend to end up that way.

As for the original poster, LE sounds about right, though NE would work too.

Herpes Cineplex

First Post
Taneel BrightBlade said:
Here he is: Asil, a seemingly emotionless killer and secretive about every thing he seem to live pourly for combat and death but on the other hand the few who know him well know that he would easily lay down his life to save his campanions if nesessary.
Honestly, I'd look at that concept and assign it to "One-note Loner Character: spoiler, boring" and ask you to make him stretch out a little. Give him something he actually gives a rat's ass about, give him some kind of goal or plan, give him opinions about what makes someone a good companion (and therefore worth laying down his life to save), give him a family, give him something so he's not just The Punisher meets Wolverine in an alley with a trenchcoat and a katana. If you didn't seem to get my point, I might beg you to please, consider the rest of the party, and make a character who is capable of interacting with the other PCs in an interesting way, rather than one who spends most of his time trying to look brooding and secretive and mysterious.

...but I'm a deeply, deeply bitter individual who figures mocking someone is more fun than humoring them, even if it doesn't make anyone other than me happy. Which is what I've just done, in fact. See how happy I am? -->
dance.gif

For the serious, totally non-fun answer to your question, I'd say he's Neutral Evil, possibly Lawful Evil. If the only thing that actually seems to hold his interest is killing people, he's never going to qualify for neutral on the good/evil axis. And frankly, he's too monomaniacal to pass for chaotic.

Basically, he's lawful evil if he's organized and methodical and likes routines, and neutral evil if he's less committed to that stuff.

--
all mocking aside, i do recommend fleshing this guy out a bit before you play him
ryan

Al

First Post
Chalk up another vote for Lawful Evil. Getting along well with one's friends, and even being prepared to die for them does not preclude one from being evil. The Nazi example is a poignant and telling one. Rather, loyalty to companions can be seen as the lawful aspect of his alignment, since he holds his own personal codes of morality, whilst still being utterly merciless in his slaughter of innocents.

Jack of Shadows

First Post
Taneel BrightBlade said:
I can't figure out what alignment this character I'm making and is this the right place to ask. Here he is: Asil, a seemingly emotionless killer and secretive about every thing he seem to live pourly for combat and death but on the other hand the few who know him well know that he would easily lay down his life to save his campanions if nesessary.
PS: Class (if level 20) Rogue6/Fighter4/Dervish10
PPS:stats (as level20 with choice rolls) str16 dex23 con12 int16 wis13 cha8

I'm going to stray from the concensus and say Lawful Neutral. Here's why:

* seemingly emotionless killer. This may be a product of his low charisma. The character may believe that he must do the dirty work so that others can live without that horror in their lives.

* seems to live only for purely for combat and death. The character may be chronic depressive and finds he only feels alive when his life is at risk.

The problem is that the character description is based on the perception of others. He could be a lawful good Paladin given the right context. Alignment is what a person IS. Not what they are perceived to be.

If you want to get a better sense of where the character lies on the alignment axis tell us WHY he's perceived to be the way he is. That way we can judge the book by more than its cover.

Jack

Vrecknidj

Explorer
My vote is LE and not LN, and here's why. Alignment isn't based on how someone seems, but on what someone is. In other words, I agree with Jack's point here, but I think that what this character is, is a killer. And that makes him evil, not neutral.

Dave

Remove ads