• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What all is included in [W]?

savage3e

First Post
First off, I'm sorry if this has been answered already. I'm unable to find the answer by browsing.

"What all is included in [W] damage?"

My first thought was that it should be treated like a basic weapon hit, adding in bonuses from the weapon, and feats, and relevant ability modifiers. But then I come across Sudden Strike that lists for the Primary Hit "1[W] damage" and for the Secondary Hit "2[W] + Strength Modifier damage". This leads me to look more closely at other Ranger Exploits where I notice that some state simply 1[W] while others clearly state 1[W] + Ability Modifier.

I've looked at the damage example on page 276 of the PHB and it doesn't seem to answer this question, at least not in a way that I can interpret. Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks in advance.

wayne62682

First Post
Sadly, Stogoe is right - It's just the damage die, with no modifiers. Which doesn't make a lick of sense at all, since you're still stabbing/cutting/thrusting with your weapon, so you would still have all the power behind it as with a regular attack.

The Sword 88

First Post
[W] is just the dice from the weapon and nothing else.

Not true.
1[W] includes enhancement bonus from your weapon and any feat bonus you have to damge rolls.

So if I am an eladrin ranger with eladrin soldier and a pair or +1 longswords then a 1[W] is 1d8 + 3 damage. Supposing I have 18 STR then a 1[W] + STR modifier damage is 1d8 + 7.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
In general, any bonus that says it is added to "damage rolls" would be added when you roll [W] (or n[W]).

Sceadeau

First Post
Not true.
1[W] includes enhancement bonus from your weapon and any feat bonus you have to damge rolls.

So if I am an eladrin ranger with eladrin soldier and a pair or +1 longswords then a 1[W] is 1d8 + 3 damage. Supposing I have 18 STR then a 1[W] + STR modifier damage is 1d8 + 7.

Incorrect.

[W] in your previous example is just 1d8.

You are correct to point out that, with a +1 longsword, a power that said add 1[W] + str would do 1d8+7, but that Eladrin Soldier bonus and +1 longsword bonus to damage both get added to the end of the power output, not during the W stage.

So, 1[W]+str = 1d8+7
2[W]+str = 2d8 + 7 (not 2d8+10 as you believe it would be)

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
But then I come across Sudden Strike that lists for the Primary Hit "1[W] damage" and for the Secondary Hit "2[W] + Strength Modifier damage". This leads me to look more closely at other Ranger Exploits where I notice that some state simply 1[W] while others clearly state 1[W] + Ability Modifier.

So "2[W] + Str mod" means you might be adding your Str mod in 3 times?

i.e. 18 Str is a +4 mod, so using a longsword with this power would be:

2d8+12 (4+4 for "2[w]" and another +4 for "+ Str mod")?

aurance

Explorer
Page 276 of the PHB will answer your question. In short, [W] is your weapon damage die only, without any bonuses (which you add in after making whatever multiple rolls), as per Sceadeau's example above.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads