• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What and how to share about conversions work

Li Shenron

Legend
I've been working on a conversion of the Rokugan (Legend of the Five Rings - L5R) setting for D&D 5th edition rules.

I've posting my thoughts and drafts in the House Rules forum: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ersion-for-D-amp-DNext-(preliminary-thoughts)

There is stuff I haven't posted there yet, because I still don't know what could be (dis)allowed. The L5R setting belongs to AEG, not WotC, therefore the official agreement for converting old TSR/WotC material doesn't help me.

Is there anybody familiar with this sort of issues, that can help me make sure I post only what is allowed?

Something that came up already:

- classes are Samurai, Shugenja, Courtier and Monk: these are real-life concepts, I don't think there's any chance they are copyrighted
- smaller material (skills, feats, spells, prestige classes), can there be some of it which is proprietary?
- some monsters can surely be copyrighted (e.g. Beholders, Illithids and some more are WotC intellectual property), most Rokugan monsters are from folklore, how do I find out which ones are not?
- stuff like the Clans and their Families may also be protected; should I hide their true names? For example, if I am writing usable material for family X of clan Y, can I mention their names or should I omit them?

The about sharing the material on ENWorld, assuming at some point in the future I will have a usable standalone (by no means complete...) conversion, a "Basic Rokugan" document or series of documents, which of the following options are possible and which is preferable?

a) a wiki, with a few dozens small pages (e.g. one class = one page)
b) a single document in the download section
c) multiple documents in the dowload section (e.g. classes = one doc)
d) articles in a group page

Thanks!

Remove ads