• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are good Action Point Alternatives/Enhancements?

Ebylon

First Post
The title speaks for itself. I'm looking for Action Point system enhancements/alternatives. I was thinking about the idea of in addition to giving players a free standard, to give them the option of using an action point to give a set point bonus or a d6 die bonus to a roll.

If you list an actual alternative action point system name, please give me a link to material on the system.

Give me anything you've got!

Dayspire

Explorer
Here's my take. I've been using this for quite a while, and it's worked out well for the goals I intended. The only change I've made is giving players one Karma Point at the start of a session.

Attachments

• Karma Points.pdf
    268.1 KB · Views: 212

firesnakearies

Explorer
Here's my take. I've been using this for quite a while, and it's worked out well for the goals I intended. The only change I've made is giving players one Karma Point at the start of a session.

Very interesting. I'm working out a similar system for my game. This was helpful inspiration!

EP

First Post
We had a concept called "action surges" (not related to the human feat) whereby you can accomplish incredible deeds by spending action points, rather than just retrying a failed action (which most players use it for).

Combat Advantage #15

Rechan

Adventurer
I use something called a Power Stunt. This is where the PC uses something that makes sense for their powerset, but there is not a power that does it.

This would be something like a druid causing vines to burst out of a cliff, offering aid to climbing. Or a cleric of Moradin preventing some drow from fleeing by collapsing the tunnel entrance they are running towards. I had a SHaman PC who used this to "exercise" spirits that were possessing and animating statues, forcing the entities out of those statues (and thus needing to spend a round animating another one).

The player spends an AP + A healing surge. Then they make either an attack or a skill roll, and success, the effect occurs.

The result can either be unique, or it can modify an existing power. An Encounter becomes as potentially strong as a daily (in a small fashion), a daily become seven stronger (in some capacity). Like turning a single-target Encounter into an area effect.

Scotley

Hero
I have a rather amorphous idea I'm kicking around. This is for a swashbuckling game where I want to encourage a cinematic summer blockbuster feel. This would be an pbp game here, so there will be some time for discussion as the pace will be a little slow do to my own real life concerns. The players in question tend to be very chatty in the OOC thread. There will be times when I as DM may not post for two or three days at a stretch. I am picturing this as a way for the players to stay busy and engaged as well as to encourage them to really embrace the swashbuckling ideal.

The idea is that the group of players would decide that a particular character deserved a boost. It picturing a pool of goodies that they can draw from. Some would be one time only and others might be usable more often. They would look a little like powers.

Here's an example.

Bon Mot

The player says something particularly witty in character. A biting insult to a foe perhaps. They could award the player a boost to defenses against that particular foe until it saves.

or

The worm turns

A player is having a steak streak of bad luck rolls. They could award the player an automatic hit.

Daring Do

The player attempts some outrageous but funny or fitting application of a skill get a +2 to the attempt.

Obviously, I still have a lot of work to do. I'd 'reload' the bonuses periodically keeping particularly popular ones and adding some new ones, with player input to keep it fresh and interesting. Suggestions are welcome, feel free to PM me if this is too far off topic...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads