• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are some interesting gamer vacation spots?

Ariddrake

First Post
I just read about Monte Cook visiting Crater Lake and that sounds like a great place to visit. I would love to visit places like Petra or the great pyramids, but can anybody offer other places to check out that might not be so obvious? Thanks.

Crothian

First Post
One place that is obvious is Devil's Tower. Another that is less obvious is Serpenat Mound and Mound city right here in Ohio. This are native american effigy mounds and the history and mythology of them make great adventure ideas. I've heard that MyT St Helen's is pretty cool to see now. The Badlands and the painted desert, and even the pertrified forests of the southwest are awsome. What to know what caves really look like? Goto Mammoth caver or Carlsbad Caverns. Both again are great for the thought of what its like for adventures to go there.

AIM-54

First Post
Depends on what you're looking for.

Fantasy-wise, I've gotten inspiration from visiting the castles on the Rhein, the Hill of Tara in Ireland (which is amazing early in the morning when there's a mist...), Bodiam Castle in England, the Scottish Highlands...for North America, a visit to a Nova Scotian island that apparently had/has buried pirate treasure (I was sailing aboard HMS Rose at the time, taking a summer course...before it went off to star in "Master and Commander" :D )...

For modern type games (or Shadowrun, in my case), just visiting cities...the Big Dig in Boston is fun to play with...although I hear it might actually be coming to an end sometime :p , the Masonic monument to George Washington in Alexandria, VA, the badlands have already been mentioned...ummm...the world's biggest Ukrainian easter egg in Vegreville, Alberta? ;)

That's all I got for now...

Crothian

First Post
Ariddrake said:
How did you like Mammoth cave? Thanks for mentioning Mound City.

Mommoth Cave is great, I'vbe there about a dozen times. They have great tours including some underground boat ones that are super.

diaglo

Adventurer
i rolled dice in the jefferson memorial, lincoln memorial, on the steps of the Capitol, along the fence to the White House, at the smitsonian institute, and washington monument, etc...

DC is a great place to play D&D.

Krieg

First Post
Crothian said:
Another that is less obvious is Serpenat Mound and Mound city right here in Ohio. This are native american effigy mounds and the history and mythology of them make great adventure ideas.
If you are going to check out Serpent Mound you might as well head over to the Seven Caves/Zaleski State Forest area of Southern Ohio...some beautiful scenario.

There is also Ohio Caverns near Springfield , Seneca Caverns in Bellevue and Olentangy Indian Caverns north of Columbus. While none of the Ohio cave complexes match the majesty of Mammoth Cave they still make for a great day trip.

You might also want to check out Glen Helen in Yellow Springs Ohio & nearby Clifton Gorge. The lost Shawnee silver mines are rumored to be located somewhere nearby (and Tecumseh was born just a few miles away).

On a more international scale, Europe is a must visit. If you want to see real castles and buildings that are more than 200 years old you just have to go to the old world.

BTW Ayers Rock (Uluru) is a pretty impressive site!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads