• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are some other good non-d20 fantasy systems

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Fantasy HERO seems like a good fit: low(er) magic fantasy, non-percentile, lots of tactical choices including parrying and dodging, armor as DR.

You would need at least the Fantasy HERO book. I'm not sure if you need the HERO 5th Edition core book, or at least the Sidekick 'light' rules, because I only have said core book.

Fantasy Hero also has a couple of excellent settings: the sword-and-sorcery Valdorian Age and the high fantasy Turakian Age. The former being, obviously, lower magic.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
MoogleEmpMog said:
You would need at least the Fantasy HERO book. I'm not sure if you need the HERO 5th Edition core book, or at least the Sidekick 'light' rules, because I only have said core book.

Is Fantasy Hero 5th Ed a self-contained game? I was under the impression that it was a genre supplement for the Hero 5th Edition core book.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I second GURPS. It gives you lots of tactical options, the Basic Set alone allows you to build a far larger number of character types than D&D players could ever dream of, and GURPS Powers allows you to build a completely new but balanced set of supernatural powers in about 15 minutes.

I've also heard good things about Reign, which is supposed to have some very nifty rules for player-run organizations (anything from small mercenary companies to entire nations), but my copy is still in the mail, so I don't know the details yet.

Savage Worlds is a fast, easy system that was specifically designed for adults who want to game, not write stat blocks. It plays really well and has excellent campaign books published for it.

There's a quick start ruleset available for download and a new printing of the main rules will be available for only $10 in late August or early September.

avigor

First Post
One game system I want to try is Feng Shui.

Unfortunately that'll have to wait as I'm currently stuck in a 1st/2nd ed group that gets annoyed at 3.5 rules references and avoids it for just about everything, rarely looking at it for references for stuff if they don't have an earlier text in hand. The only reason I'm not leaving is that it's the only group out here . . .

Yair

Community Supporter
lyonstudio said:
What are some other systems (non d20) out there free or out of print of even in print that are innovative yet simple and elegant in their mechanics with a good but not overly complicated combat and magic system.
Reading this, I was reminded of Ars Magica 3rd Edition. It has an excellent yet fairly simple and elegant magic system, and a simple but effective combat system (although it could use some tweaks). The game is very different from D&D, although I wouldn't say it's "innovative", and it does have farily complicated mechanics for character advancement (but I like them nonetheless, and they're fairly elegant once you get to know them). It uses armor as damage reduction, is a game of playing powerful wizards but in a fairly low fantasy setting, it is based on a skill system much like the d20 System skills except using d10s. It's combat rules are simple, not allowing too much for strategy, but do allow to parry, feint, and so on; with a supportive DM, their very simplicity can allow good tactical fun, but this will require DM ad hoc decisions. It is long out of print (ArM is curently in its 5th edition, which is less elegant and has a more complex magic system IMO, although it's a much better game IMO too; ArM 4th edition is available for download for free, but is anything but simple and elegant.)

ArM's fun is in its immensly flexible yet simple magic system, allowing you to weave any spell on the fly. It's simple combat mechanics make sense, and with an inventive player and supportive DM ad-hoc modifiers can be used to create dramatic battles easily - although magic will tend to steal the show. Its character advancement rules are a bit complex, but elegant in their way and make a lot of sense (you increase specific skills by - ghasp - taking time to practice, learn, and excercise them!). And the whole game is in medieval Europe: the demons are the real demons, not the pale D&D copies, the Unsselie faeries are horridly inhuman in ways an Elf will never be, and when you save a kingdom you save France, not Cormyr... it all has greater meaning, depth, and impact.

ArM is certainly not d20 Microlite or d20 Modern or Warhammer. But it's the only non-d20 game I have any familiarity with, and of ArM's editions that I am familiar with ArM3 seems to best fit your criteria. (Although again, I consider ArM5 better for myself - more elegant, consistent, and flavorful - but also more complex.)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I like GURPS for the flexibility, but the combat system can be tedious... but then again it's normally a good idea to avoid combat in almost all but GURPS Supers since the game can be quite deadly.

I have to second Castles and Crusades, which I very much enjoy as well as many other simple versions of DnD (ODnD and 1st Ed included). I would also say check out Hackmaster, but much of it for its comedic value. I've heard good things about Warhammer RPG and have the rulebook for it, although I have not tried it out as of yet. It seems a lot grimmer and deadlier, however. Someone on this site once said something clever I'll try to paraphrase: 'DnD is where your character goes from simple beginnings and then rises to destroy the great evil and become the renowned hero of the land. Warhammer RPG is where your character starts out from simple beginnings, stunts the growth of evil slightly, and dies forgotten in a ditch.' Another quote I will paraphrase: 'Warhammer RPG is where you believe you are playing DnD and then find out your playing Call of Cthulu'.

If you want something different, try Shadowrun or even Mechwarrior. I liked having my characters start out as mercenaries in Mechwarrior and spend half their time roleplaying outside of their mechs and the other half fighting battles inside. Kinda like a bad episode of Voltron.

I've also heard good things about Traveller and Spaceship Zero, but I'm afraid I'm beginning to steer you away from fantasy RPGs now.

SavageRobby

First Post
Chris Tavares said:
Savage Worlds is a fast, easy system that was specifically designed for adults who want to game, not write stat blocks. It plays really well and has excellent campaign books published for it.

There's a quick start ruleset available for download and a new printing of the main rules will be available for only $10 in late August or early September.

I'm a big fan of Savage Worlds as well. Great system. The Spell/Powers system takes a little getting used to in a fantasy context, but is a highly flexible system that can be used to emulate all kinds of different fantasy worlds. Its also one of those systems easy to change, so you could really use your magic system of choice with it pretty easily. (I'm seriously looking at using Spell Law, for example.)

Also, C&C is a good system if you'd like an old school kind of feel.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I always enjoyed the versions of the RuneQuest system that were used to simulate the various incarnations of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion books, namely Stormbringer, Corum, and Hawkmoon. I never got to play the original game, but if it was as good as those 3, its worth a look.

While I don't like the system, Kevin Sembieda's Palladium/RIFTS books are incredibly imaginative- well worth mining for a game in any system.

The Victorian Era Sci/Fant RPG Space:1889 is a classic. You may not like the mechanics, but it is one of the best simulations of the worlds imagined by writers like HG Wells and Jules Verne I know of. A close second would be TSR's Amazing Engine's: For Faerie, Queen, and Country.

The simplest RPG I ever played was Steve Jackson's Melee/Wizard/Advanced Melee & Wizard/In the Labyrinth game arc and which became the basis for his GURPS game. As I recall, 3 stats, 5 minutes to create a PC.

Any well-designed superheroic/generic RPG system can run fantasy. Because of their inherent flexibility, they can model any type of fantasy setting you'd care to run.

Of those that are out there, I suggest:

HERO 5th (or any previous edition, for that matter) with the Fantasy Hero supplement is pretty good. Yes, you have to work through the intricate PC design system, but once you do, things run like a well-oiled machine.

Mutants & Masterminds
. 95% of the flexibility of HERO, but with a slightly less complex (kind of D20-light) ruleset. I haven't done so myself, but I know several people on these boards have run M&M Fantasy campaigns and rave about them.

GURPS. If you know me, you know I don't like this system. However, its advantages include: a fairly large following, more and better supplemental materials than almost any game out there, and a recent revision that allegedly streamlines/eliminates many of my objections to previous editions.

Remove ads