• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the 10 most important d20/OGL books?

Vigilance

Explorer
1. Mutants and Masterminds: The best conceived and best executed d20 book ever, fearlessly designed by Steve Kenson.
2. Star Wars d20: First time I saw d20 really break the fantasy mold
3. Spycraft 1.0: First time I saw d20 applied to the modern world
4. Godlike: The d20 conversion in the back by Mike Mearls convinced me, along with Spycraft 1.0 that d20 could handle supers.
5. Unearthed Arcana by WOTC: Lots of great alternate rules and open source to boot. A very nice toolkit that sees use in all sorts of games I run, not just fantasy games.

Maggan said:
Hi!

I'm wondering what you all think are the 10 most important non-WotC d20/OGL print books published? I'm filling some gaps in my shelf, and I'm looking to finding out which books should belong among my other d20 books, or if I have all the best books already.

My own list, with short comments (as I see them, there's bound to be mistakes though). Also this list is based of books I own.

10. The Foundation (Nightshift) -

/M

Please take this post in the good spirit it is intended...good humoured curiosity.

I just want to give you full props for including "The Foundation"...on your list of important books. If it suits your style of play -- I'm delighted that it works for you.

I'm just wondering if you included it on the "important" list is, perhaps, some sort of ironic statement...."important" as an example of bad game design or something.

This, now forgotten, book was widely hearladed as a singularly terrible release even during the height of the d20 boom.

It's composite review from 4 Enworld reviewers is the absolute lowest value reviews on this site can receive..."One star"

some quotes from those now classic reviewsreviews :

From Orion:

"I was genuinely excited when I saw the book, then I opened it...I just have to wonder how the creators of this game system would think we'd shell out our money for it."

From Warchild:

"This game is quite possibly the worst product i have bought, for any game system, in my 18+ years of gaming. Ever. i mean it. This is not a joke....The Setting provided is terribly stock and inpsires absolutely no interest and the art is at a level to which i can only wish i was actually blind."

From RaveN :

"To echo other reviewers, the WORST roleplaying product that I have purchased in 22 years of gaming... Art could have been done by a eigth-grader sitting in a boring English class. The core storyline was amatuerish and uninspiring.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
nothing to see here said:
Please take this post in the good spirit it is intended...good humoured curiosity.

Ooops ... I forgot to comment on The Foundation. I added it because it is the worst printed product I've ever seen, and I think it is important as a counter point to many excellent products produced.

It showed us that not everything printed is better than your own notes. It showed us that we all can do better.

And basically, it was a very good case of "if these guys are doing it, why the hell arne't we!"

That's why I think it was important. :)

/m

solomoncane

First Post
(OP-> Top 10 non-WOTC print d20/OGL)

In no particular order:

01. Traveller T20
02. Grim Tales
03. BESM d20 Revised
04. Mutants & Masterminds 2e
05. Second World Sourcebook
06. Castles & Crusades Player's Handbook
07. Castles & Crusades Monsters & Treasure
08. True20
09. True20 Bestiary
10. Dragonstar Spacefarer's Handbook

Last edited:

MonsterMash

First Post
More of a top 10 than most important.

1. Wilderlands of High Fantasy boxed set (Necromancer Games/Judges Guild)
2. Conan RPG (Mongoose Publishing)
3. Tome of Horrors II (Necromancer Games)
4. Mother of All Encounter Tables (Necromancer Games)
5. Castles & Crusades PHB (Troll Lord Games)
6. Castles & Crusades Monsters & Treasure (Troll Lord Games)
7. Ptolus
8. A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe
9. Crucible of Freya (Necromancer Games) - not actually their best adventure, but the first third party one to sell well
10. Mutants & Masterminds.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
My favorite part about "The Foundation: A World in Black and White" is how the female superheroes' boob size is listed in their stat blocks.

I found that very helpful.

--Erik

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Some repeats from above:

Denizens of Avadnu (I pump this book every chance I get) - Inner Circle

Thanks. And keep pumping it (I have like 500 left). ;)

My list in no particular order:

1. Arcana Evolved
2. Iron Heroes
3. Iron Kingdoms
4. Conan
5. Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
6. Dark Legacies

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads