• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What are the 4E changes you like?

DeusExMachina

First Post
I love the new spell casting system. Never running out of magic missiles is the way to go for me. The will/encounter/daily thing really works for me in other classes as well btw...

I love that lvl 1 charcters are no longer as likely to get killed in 1 hit. That was exactly why I always started my campaigns at level 4 or 5. Now at least the characters have useful options and choices from level 1 onwards...

Minions. Really one of those things that made me think: "why the hell didn't anybody think of that before?" 3e (and especially my current DM's style of running 3e) has a serious problem dealing with large groups of monsters in combat, it either gets bogged down or becomes way too dangerous and this minion rule is helps a lot to solve it...

The overall streamlining: critical hits no longer need a confirm, less but more useful skills, etc. All in all I really like this.

Dragonbait

Explorer
After playing (or, GMing really) a 4ed game:

What I liked IN PLAY:
- Character's special abilities: the players really seemd to enjoy the talents of the characters (sans the Cleric).
- Monsters: I ran kobolds, hobgobs, and the black dragon. They were diverse and I loved how they each handled differently. Hobgoblins, for instance, really felt like trained warriors that were able to work together.
- Quick rounds, longer combat: More of the player's likings, really. Each round moved fast, but combat took longer. Oh, and "boss"-type fights where the PCs face a single enemy finally work like their supposed to.
- Ability to self-heal: Second Wind for the win
- New Crit Hits: More reasonable.

What I didn't like IN PLAY:
- Too many status effects: While I like status effects, it was becoming rather cumbersome. Marked + Slowed + Lingering Acid damage + roll to recharge powers + etc.. Save vs. each, every round till you make it. It felt like we needed tokens to represent all the statues effects and remember what we were rolling for.
- Of all the classes, the cleric was the class that seemed to function completely different from it's previous counterparts.

Last edited:

hennebeck

First Post
pukunui said:
I think (and hope) you're right.

Didn't someone say that the bard was actually the first class they had finished? If so, I wonder why they chose to leave it out of the PHB ...

I am assuming Bard will be released in the FR Book.
They will have 1 class, they already said. And you can't have FR without Bards.
So I'm banking that that's where we will find our first new Class.

As for the others being on DDI, I agree. That makes alot of sense.

Things I like:
Cleric can Heal AND do stuff. I always play clerics but now I get to be a bad mofo.
Lots o' HP at First level.
Monsters that do cool things. All different kinds of Hobgobs and Kobolds. I really liked DMing them.
Movement. Every turn. Not just at the beginning but all the time. Everyone. It was so awesome to watch.

pukunui

Legend
hennebeck said:
I am assuming Bard will be released in the FR Book.
They will have 1 class, they already said. And you can't have FR without Bards.
So I'm banking that that's where we will find our first new Class.
The swordmage is going to be in the FR Player's Guide. I think we'll see the bard on DDI and then possibly in the PHB2.

Remove ads