• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the 5 most powerful feats in the PHB?

Sejs

First Post
1. Leadership - The flat out Double Your Character power of a cohort is untoppable. It's the one feat they had to expressly go out of their way to label with a DM warning.

2. Natural Spell - Have your cake and eat it too. Druids win, thanks for playing.

3. Spirited Charge - Triple damage lance charges. This feat is the sole reason mounted combat is frightful.

4. Scribe Scroll - Geometically increases the power of spellcasters. Niche spells? Limited spell slots? No longer a problem!

5. Improved Initiative - He who goes first, wins. Doubly true when it comes to spellcasters.

GAAAHHH

First Post
1. Natural Spell
2. Cleave
3. Improved Initiative
4. Improved Disarm
5. Leadership

Honorable mention:

Scribe Scroll
Power Attack
Improved Critical

Drowbane

First Post
Brew's Top Ten brought to you by Fnord Motor Company

1 - 5: Leadership
6: Natural Spell
7: Spirited Charge
8: Power Attack
9: Improved Trip
10: Improved Initiative

edit: doh! forgot about the "no metamagic" clause... changed my list.

Last edited:

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Hmm, I should have put Improved trip on my list. Its ability to bash a character, and get an extra attack is golden. The ability to AoO when they get up is broken.

Leadership. One reason i left it behind is that a good DM will control it sufficiently. if you let the player play two characters in the same party, yes, it is crazy. Especially if the second character's life is soley devoted to buffing the first, or some such.

But really, I never see Leadership allowed, so i would not put it in the top five. It is really not even a feat as most feats are, it is a total new class of power. (But yes, I know it is a feat.)

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Um, it is in my PHB. V. 3.5, p. 90. THe description is on p. 97. For your knowledge.

:eek:

I guess I'm thinking about 3.0... I almost always reference the srd anymore. :eek:

Mercule said:
What's the clarification?

Regarding Improved Trip: the attack of opportunity you get when an opponent tries to stand up cannot be a trip attack, because the target is considered prone at the time the attack resolves. So the target suffers the -4 AC for being prone, but you cannot 're-trip' him to keep him down permanently.

Grymar

Explorer
In no order...

Improved Initiative --- as a friend once said, it's the only feat which is nearly guaranteed to help you in every single fight
Power Attack --- obvious
Weapon Finesse --- turns wimpy rogues into death dealing marauders
Improved Trip/Disarm --- especially if combined with Combat Expertise
Leadership --- when just one PC isn't enough

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Personally, I go for

1. power attack (3.5e version and 2H weapon)
2. rapid shot (extra attacks are great, archer gets to use his full attack more often)
3. combat reflexes (with reach weapon - extra attacks again)
4. natural spell (it removes one of the two big limitations on wildshape, they still suffer from lack of magic items in wildshape though)
5. can't decide.

notes:
My druid had natural spell, and it was highly useful but didn't make my PC the be-all and end-all character in the party - it was a smaller component of my overall power than augment summoning, to tell the truth. The only real benefit was to cast spells while flying around as an eagle and thus out of the way of ground based foes, and wizards could be doing that with a 3rd level spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads