• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the basic building blocks of your games?

FireLance

Legend
Like the thread title says. What would you consider to be the basic building blocks of your games, adventures and campaigns?

For me, the basic building blocks of my games tend to be challenges. When I think of the adventures I run, I tend to separate them out into discrete challenges (a fight, a puzzle, a trap, etc.) and graft onto that an overall structure for how the PCs could move from one challenge to another. The focus of the game is thus for the PCs to simply overcome each challenge as they encounter it. Arugably, challenges are the basic building blocks of the basic dungeon crawl.

Some of the other possibilities I can think of are:

NPCs and Motivations: A DM who thinks in terms of NPCs and motivations as the basic building blocks of his games would probably have in his head a fairly complex web of alliances and animosities between the PCs and the main power players. The emphasis of such games is not so much on whether the PCs overcome the challenges they face, but the effect that success or failure would have on the relationships that the key NPCs have with the PCs and with each other. Such games would probably be quite dynamic since even if the PCs don't do anything, various NPCs will have their own agendas which drive change in the campaign world. Arguably, NPCs and motivations are the basic building blocks of a political campaign.

Interactions. A DM who thinks in terms of interactions as the basic building blocks of his games will probably include a variety of locations, creatures and objects in his game that are interesting and which may be interacted with in a variety of ways. The PCs drive the campaign and effectively select their own challenges and influence NPC motivations through the way they interact with the various game elements. Success or failure at challenges is less important than whether the interaction experience was an interesting one. Arguably, interactions are the basic building blocks of a sandbox or exploration-themed campaign.

Of course, most games would feature elements of all three of the basic building blocks that I mentioned. Even in my games, there will be a few NPCs with objectives and motivations and interesting objects and locations to interact with, but the main focus is on the challenges that the PCs face.

What do you consider to be the basic building blocks of your games? Are there other basic building blocks you can think of?

Aus_Snow

First Post
I admit to being curious. How do you make cosmology, history and geography an integral part of play, as opposed to being just background elements?
Hehe. Ah, language is a funny ol' beast at times.

'As opposed'? 'Just'? ;)

But sure, OK, the core of it is, I find these things essential to me as a DM. Without them, the world just doesn't work. And therefore, the things and people in it, and some of the things that do, or might, happen - they also don't work. It's not an absolute thing, black and white, but it's a thing.

And sorry, I probably wasn't really sticking to the spirit of the OP. My bad, if not. I know I'm not the only DM who approaches things this way, but we're quite possibly a fringe minority thingie. Dunno.

Bringing it back on course (hopefully!) - hm, well, I definitely like to know about NPCs (including quirks, ties and motivations), laws, customs, traditions. . . no wait, I think I'm drifting again. :D

edit --- And yes, of course, challenges are pretty key. :p

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Coolness and fun: story threads, locations, plot arcs.

Then mix in NPC's and emotional turmoil.

Add blood and explosions. Stir as necessary.

Serves up to six. Chill before serving.

FireLance

Legend
Hehe. Ah, language is a funny ol' beast at times.

'As opposed'? 'Just'? ;)

But sure, OK, the core of it is, I find these things essential to me as a DM. Without them, the world just doesn't work. And therefore, the things and people in it, and some of the things that do, or might, happen - they also don't work. It's not an absolute thing, black and white, but it's a thing.
I guess some explanation is in order for my choice of words. :p

For me, I usually don't place a great deal of emphasis on cosmology, history and geography in my games because my players are not the type that would be keen on learning or otherwise interacting with those elements in their own right. When they do appear on the campaign stage, it is usually indirectly: certain information is required to solve a challenge, or the NPCs or objects the PCs interact with have ties to a certain location or historical event.

So, if you have a particular way to using cosmology, history and geography as building blocks for your games and adventures, I would like to learn about it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Building blocks at the world-design level: maps, history, pantheons, astronomy.

Building blocks at the campaign level: adventures, story arcs, significant NPCs, interactions with all the world-design blocks.

Building block at the game-at-table level: entertaining players, beer.

Lanefan

Remove ads