• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the classic adventure modules of 3E? (with a tally!)

Lightfinger

First Post
For those in the RPGA, and playing in Living Greyhawk, there are two scenarios at the moment that are 'classics':

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
Fright at Tristor

Fright hasn't been released to the general public yet, thus my qualifier above. It is a very good module, that was strangled by unprepared management at the top of the RPGA for just how much work was needed to process the scoring packets.

--Lightfinger

Blackthorne

First Post
Yeah, Fright at Tristor is great, too. But it is almost unknown.

@Piratecat: I wanted to say you that OSM managed to do something which almost no adventure managed to do in a while:

It scared me.

Especially the final part, which contained a really disturbing scene (you´ll know what I mean). Thumbs up!

2WS-Steve

First Post
I'll toss in my vote for the Freeport series; this group of books has a nice variety of adventuring and works well to introduce mature but new gamers to D&D.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I think that classic status in 1e had more to do with how many people played the module than how good it was. Although, I have to admit that modules like GDQ and B2 really do have a lot going for them, so long as the DM is good enough to fill in the gaps and make things come alive. Several years ago I wouldn't have said so, but having re-read them a year or two ago I will now. I never really cared for Tomb of Horrors, but I respect it's place in the classics catalog.

As someone else said earlier, some of the best modules for 1e were I6 Ravenloft and I3-5 Desert of Desolation (although Pharoah and Oasis of the White Palm were much better than the Lost Tomb of Martek). However, I don't think that these modules are as considered classics to the same extent as GDQ, B2, or A1-4 because they didn't come out when the game was young and get played by nearly everyone.

For the same reason, it will be difficult to judge what the classics are for 3e. Many of the third party modules are great, but it's hard to say how known/played they are in your average D&D circle (not composed of EN World/d20 junkies).

With that in mind, I think that the most likely candidates for classic status will be Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury. IMO, both are great dungeon crawls in a traditional way and so have an element of nostalgia, but they also have a little more. Sunless Citadel's opposing groups and the interaction between them make it so even more so than most modules, two runs through it are unlikely to turn out the same. Forge of Fury is more straightforward but is well-put together and the tactics and motivations of the monsters make things memorable (especially the running opening battle with the orcs). I think that RttToEE might obtain a similar position to the original Temple of Elemental Evil - it seems to have great name recognition but I'm not really sure if I'd want to run the whole thing.

As for third part modules, as I said before, I'm not sure whether they will be able to obtain classic status with the edge that the official modules hold. But some of them are really good. Of Sound Mind is excellent all around. Crucible of Freya is excellent as a campaign pack with the free downloads but the main (printed) adventure is not as memorable by itself. The Freeport trilogy surely seems to have left a good impression on everyone - I haven't checked it out yet, I guess I better do so before it becomes any harder to find.

As for myself and my players, I certainly think that both Sunless Citadel and Of Sound Mind will be remembered fondly in future years. Both were really fun to play and I ended up being able to tie them togethor in some interesting and memorable ways.

Last edited:

cbatt

First Post
It would be hard to deny the classic status of Sunless Citadel, even though my group and I didn't like it at all (I don't like Cordell adventures). IMHO, Forge of Fury was far better, but probably not as extensively played, so therefore, not classic.

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil is a classic. Great piece of work, all around.

Rappan Athuk part 1 is not a classic. Classically boring, yes. Classic adventure no. This is not to say I don't like Fiery Dragon, because I feel that if The Tomb of Abysthor would get more exposure, it would deffinately be a classic. It's just so much fun.

Freeport (series) doesn't appeal to me, but I know a lot of folks here and elsewhere do enjoy it. It's well played and the quality must be high enough to maintain such high praise, therefore I'd say it's a classic.

Dungeon of the Fire Opal, from Dungeon #84, may or may not be a classic. My group and I loved it and remember it fondly, and I know it was well played, but it really isn't much more than a standard dungeon crawl.

Davelozzi

Explorer
cbatt said:
Rappan Athuk part 1 is not a classic. Classically boring, yes. Classic adventure no. This is not to say I don't like Fiery Dragon, because I feel that if The Tomb of Abysthor would get more exposure, it would deffinately be a classic. It's just so much fun.

You're thinking of Necromancer Games, not Fiery Dragon. That Sword & Sorcery logo must be throwing you. ;)

Last edited:

greymarch

First Post
There are no classic 3E modules yet. I suspect The Heart of Nightfang Spire, and Iron Fortress will be considered classic eventually. As for the Freeport modules, and other OGL modules, they will never be considered classics because they were not made my WOTC. They dont really count IMHO.

Krug

Newshound
I think The Banewarrens and The Witchfire Trilogy should make the list.

So none of those mini-modules that look like brochures from AEG (and some other company, I forgot which) make the list? ;) Are there any good 'uns in there?

Agamon

Adventurer
Lightfinger said:
For those in the RPGA, and playing in Living Greyhawk, there are two scenarios at the moment that are 'classics':

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
Fright at Tristor

Fright hasn't been released to the general public yet, thus my qualifier above. It is a very good module, that was strangled by unprepared management at the top of the RPGA for just how much work was needed to process the scoring packets.

Oh, man, FaT! I almost forgot about that one. That is indeed one of the best 3E mods out there. I was only in the RPGA for a year, but boy did I pick the right year...

Remove ads