• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the key thematic elements of the Druid Class?

Kaodi

Hero
Weapon and armour restrictions have to go. Kill them. Please.

I would think that the Druid might have as their two builds a shapeshifting druid, based on Strength and Dexterity, and a spellcasting druid based on Wisdom.

generalhenry

First Post
I'd actually want to see their stats as str, int, wis

It's the same defense wise, but I think int fits druids better skill wise etc.

Knowledgeable druid vs. acrobatic druid.

Deodanth

First Post
I can only speak from experience. Back in 1e AD&D, the only character I leveled all the way from 1st to 9th level was my druid, Seminole Sam!

And what were Sam's favorite spells?

Flame Blade (comparable to a simple melee attack, but does fire damage)

Entangle (control spell par excellence)

Shillelagh (daily; weapon/implement buff)

Reflecting Pool (a super great scrying ritual)

Nymrohd

First Post
Well it depends. When I played my druid in AD&D wild shape was primarily a utility for sneaking about unnoticed or accessing flight or swimming (or even burrowing, gogo mole form). The focus was on control and leader spells. Druids have excellent control spells both as AoE damage and as spells that restrain. Their healing is decent as well.
In 3.5 and on, animal summoning, wild shapes, and animal companions did become the bigger deal. Wild shape and animal companions are mainly used to act as a striker, though some of the larger forms can be excellent as defenders, and so can a veritable swarm of summoned animals.
So I see the druid as someone who has strong thematic ties to every class role, which makes it quite hard to design one. Personally I was considering that you could simply tie the roles to different abilities in the same class and provide a class with about 5-6 powers per level divided between wild shape focus (Strength and Dexterity or Constitution) and caster focus (Wisdom and Charisma (once upon a time you needed Cha 15 to even become a druid).

generalhenry

First Post
Citation for statistic, please?

totally make up :p

point being most D&D game play take place at a range of 10 where having a much higher range doesn't really have an effect.

There are rare times when an archer will get an extra attack or two outdoors, but any good DM will close in on the party so the whole group can participate.

Unless the whole party is made up of archer.. then they pwn at long range.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
totally make up :p

point being most D&D game play take place at a range of 10 where having a much higher range doesn't really have an effect.
My point is: all this stuff you're assuming to be truth is actually campaign dependent. How many encounters occur indoors? How many occur outdoors? More importantly, how often are PCs allowed to choose the location and circumstances of their encounters?

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads