• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the key thematic elements of the Druid Class?

Gothmog

First Post
I see the druid as being more of a controller myself, although with limited striker ability due to wildshape, call lightning, etc. I'd prefer to see the druid focus on spells like entangle, terrain modification, weather control, animal control, fire, and lightning, with the occasional foray into wildshaping, but not to the degree it had in 3e. And please, NO animal companions as a default. If a druid does take animal companions, have them be gained via feats and improved via feats from the druid. The last thing 4e needs is the traveling zoo of 3e.

As far as an at-will entangle, how about the following?

Entangle Level 1 Druid Attack
Ropy vines spring from the ground and wind around your target's legs, hindering him.
At-Will, Divine, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex
Hit: The enemy is immobilized until it escapes you or you end the grab. Your enemy can attempt to escape on its turn. You use your Reflex or Fortitude defenses to resolve any escape attempts.
At 21st level, you deal 1d10+Strength modifier damage to the target per round.
Sustain Minor: The Entangle effect persists.

Area Entangle-like effects should probably be encounter or daily powers.

Last edited:

generalhenry

First Post
To me a druid is as his best when calling down pillars of fire and lightning.

Coupled with them not being wimps in melee.

I could do without the polar bears.

Nymrohd

First Post
What I do know is that a wild shape heavy druid who cannot function as a leader or a controller will not be what most people expect from the druid. He needs to stay caster first for me.

Aloïsius

First Post
I would like the 4e druid to be somewhat closer to the mythological druid rather than the D&D druid. Magic related to shape changing, divinitation, healing and weather magic. Maybe some kind of curses.... I would like them not to have fire seed/fire storm... I don't care about weapon restriction, because this is more about RP IMHO. However, the need for vow/taboo do exist for this kind of class (as for cleric and paladin) but it's somewhat setting dependant.

Eyada

First Post
I'm a huge fan of Shapeshifting and Summoning. In 3.x, I always wished I could use Wild Shape as the primary focus of the class. Magical power centered around weather effects and plant life are also key.

Basically, a class that can choose between focusing on Wild Shape or Nature magic, with a good dash of Summoning thrown in.

tombowings

First Post
I'm a huge fan of Shapeshifting and Summoning. In 3.x, I always wished I could use Wild Shape as the primary focus of the class. Magical power centered around weather effects and plant life are also key.

Basically, a class that can choose between focusing on Wild Shape or Nature magic, with a good dash of Summoning thrown in.

Sounds to me like you want three different classes.

HugeOgre

First Post
The druid class does seem to beg to be three different kind of classes, and what type of class it ultimately is will dictate the powers that it gets.

If its a leader-based class then how is it (from a powers perspective) going to differ from the warlord and cleric classes? While I'm inclined to think the druid class IS a leader based class, in

What I havent heard anyone say is an important element of the class (and which one person DID say was a terrible problem) was the menagerie of animals that a druid could have with them, be, or summon TO the fight. I know in our group the druid's turn in combat was a dreaded affair because it took SOOOOO long. So, I feel PRETTY comfortable that the whole animal summoning / pet thing is out, since 4th edition killed pets for the other classes, since it slows down combat, and since it isnt terribly practical in an urban or dungeon setting.

IF we do throw that out, then we need to establish the druid's nature focus IN the druid himself, and determine HOW he will contribute to the party. Will it be buffs and healing (LEADER)? Will it be powers that bind (CONTROLLER) or will it be powers that damage (STRIKER)? Will we allow them to shape shift (I think we need to) and if we do, how do we deal with all those ISSUES...

I DONT think we want to make powers for ALL of those options, nor do I think we NEED to. Based on the input here, what kind of class is the druid of 4th edition?

Deodanth

First Post
generalhenry said:
totally make up :p

point being most D&D game play take place at a range of 10 where having a much higher range doesn't really have an effect.
Nifft said:
My point is: all this stuff you're assuming to be truth is actually campaign dependent. How many encounters occur indoors? How many occur outdoors? More importantly, how often are PCs allowed to choose the location and circumstances of their encounters?
Off topic, but very good point. :cool: 3.5 had a rule for random (outdoor) encounter ranges which was, IMO, the most often ignored rule in the game. When used properly, an encounter at range offered PCs one or two full rounds of ranged attacks and spells. It legitimized the archer ranger, as well as anyone that bothered to pack a bow, and tended to give a PC advantage since most monsters didn't have ranged attacks over 30 or 60 feet.

4e doesn't seem to have any rules for encounter range, unless I am missing something. It's left entirely up to the fiat of the GM in setting up his encounter.

Tuft

First Post
Wildshape, Wildshape and Wildshape.

Wildshape and the various "Bite of" spells in Spell Compendiums were the big things for my 3.5 druid. And I really loved working on, and finally qualifying for, the Exalted Feat that allowed me to Wildshape into a unicorn. Unfortunately, the campaign ended right after that, so I did not get mych mileage out of that one... :(

Wildshape aside, I'd love to see a class with a bit more utility spells, and less blasting spells. I'm rather tired of blasting and bashing after a couple of years of MMO playing, so I'd love to see something that supported the less straightforward approaches...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads