• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the most useful languages?

Sigurd

First Post
I think it's a bit meta-game to pick languages on their usefulness

I'd agree with most things but I'm not sure about languages. A more useful language is probably also a more available one. Could be a lot of background reasons for picking a learned language. If they don't come from character race and current location 'most useful' seems like a good way of finding 'most common'.

my .02

Sigurd

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
lukelightning said:
Ignan, Auran, Terran, Aquan.

Heh. I'm fond of playing Druids, and these usually get my vote as well :)

Nothing worse than not being able to tell your summoned Elemental "Break down that door!" or "Stop that ship!"

-Hyp.

Notmousse said:
I'm currently playing a multiclassed character in Living Greyhawk . . .

Anywho, what languages would you pick if you only had 6 to learn.

For a campaign that takes Greyhawk seriously, and where you want to cover the bases other characters might not:

- Ancient Suloise
- Ancient Baklunish
- The Cold Tongue or Flannae, or other regional language
- Elvish (the Spanish for Americans/French for Brits of the D&D world -- everyone should know it)
- Draconic (generic adventures' version of Ancient Suloise, as in the creepy old language in old dungeons)
- Undercommon

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
In Living Greyhawk, everybody living speaks Common. What you really want are the languages are most likely to be found written on the wall of some dusty tomb:

Baklunish, Ancient
Flan
Oeridian, Old
Suloise, Ancient

Pick up these four + Draconic and you'll be 75% covered.

Wilphe

Adventurer
haakon1 said:
- Elvish (the Spanish for Americans/French for Brits of the D&D world -- everyone should know it)

That would be meta-gaming though.

If they were RPing properly Americans would learn Welsh and English people would learn Aztec.

nittanytbone

First Post
I like picking up a language from each alphabet.

The alphabets (SRD) are:

Elvish, Dwarvish, Common, Draconic, Infernal, Celestial, Druidic (special).

Then you should be able to read -- or at least puzzle out part of -- anything you come across without needing to burn spells on it.

Remove ads