• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are the Top 5 Most Powerful Spells for their Level?

Stalker0

Legend
Lets have some fun with a top 5 list!

First, lets consider core spells only, lets not bring in the expansion books.

Second and very important, we are looking at spells compared to their level. Of course 9th level spells are going to be stronger than 3rd levels ones! But what are the spells that stand out at their level?

Third...lets not look at edge cases where a spell can be cheesed. If a good portion of DMs say "no way I would interpret the spell to allow that", then lets not bother. We want spells that don't need fancy rulings, they are just amazing on their own merits. So no clone army of simulacrums please:)

Here's my list, in no particular order.

1) Revivify: A 3rd level spell that erases the ultimate condition. No Mid level or higher party should be without it.
2) Bless: A 1st level spell that still packs a punch for 20th level characters. When a 20th level cleric uses their precious concentration slot to cast this spell, and the party cheers instead of looking at them like they are crazy...you know you have a gem on your hands.
3) Counterspell: A 3rd level spell that can completely shut down an enemy caster. Casters with this spell dominate over casters that don't.
4) Wish: There are 9th level spells....and then there's wish. Even ignoring the power of DM fiat this spell can allow....even the examples allowed for this spell are just amazing. Accept no substitute, it is the most powerful spell in the game by a very comfortable margin.
5) Wall of Force: While Forcecage gets all the love for its "automatic binding" of a creature....in most cases wall of force can do the same thing at 2 levels lower. A 5th level spell that can completely shut off a monster (even a legendary one) with no save can never be handled lightly.

So what's your list?

aco175

Legend
I would be interested in what others think on low-level spells, like to 4th level. Most of the game I play in does not get too much highr than that. I'll start with 1st level wizard.

Flavor-wise I like Thunderwave over Burning Hands, but think Burning Hands is a bit more powerful, even with it being fire damage.

Protection from Evil is rather powerful against the right type. Having disadvantage on attacks against you is great.

Mage Armor and Disguise Self are handy in certain situations and games but maybe not everyone's games.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Conjure animals
Shield
Sleep (everyone hates this spell because they keep comparing it to monsters at full hp. When used as a guaranteed way to take out a hard to hit monster when it’s been worn down? As a first level slot expenditure? Pretty good IME)
Moonbeam

24Fanatic365

Villager
My wife is a second level wizard, and her favorites are Thunderwave (of course!!) and Catapult. What's not to like about auto hit and 3d8 bludgeoning damage for a first level spell? And an additional 1d8 for each spell slot above 1st.

Haven't been playing long enough to have first hand experience on a ton of the spells available yet, but the guys around our table last Wednesday night were impressed when she whacked a bugbear with Catapult, especially after it had taken out our cleric with one hit.

JRedmond

Explorer
My wife is a second level wizard, and her favorites are Thunderwave (of course!!) and Catapult. What's not to like about auto hit and 3d8 bludgeoning damage for a first level spell? And an additional 1d8 for each spell slot above 1st.

Haven't been playing long enough to have first hand experience on a ton of the spells available yet, but the guys around our table last Wednesday night were impressed when she whacked a bugbear with Catapult, especially after it had taken out our cleric with one hit.

Ask her to try flinging Alchemists Fire or Vials of Acid with Catapult for extra fun. Oil also works for the stingy DM followed up by a Fire Bolt.

Hussar

Legend
Guidance for sure. Fantastic spell and possibly a bit too good.

Silence is situationally fantastic. Perfect for shutting down casters.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
1. Shield: ACs are lower in 5e and this spell gives a huge boost. Even better, you only use it after you know you've been hit and (for most DMs) only when you know the hit will turn into a miss.

2. Misty step: Low level short range teleport and only a bonus action! Hugely useful in combat but just as, or more, useful in exploration.

3. Leomund's tiny hut: Rest almost anywhere with minimal chance of interruption, and it provides huge protection relative to its level. Plus it's a ritual, so you don't even waste resources, potentially a game changer for expploration.

4. Dispel Magic : sure counterspell gets all the love, but it's useless for already existing spells and magic. This isn't the juggernaut it was in 3.5 (where it was likely the first spell cast in the first round of any mid-high level combat) but is still a must have for any serious wizard.

5. Teleport: This spell changes everything once it becomes readily avaliable to the party. The world shrinks because of it, tactics change thanks to it; it could well be campaign defining. Likely a big reason it was moved up 2 full levels in 5e.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Remove ads