• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the wierdest things you've learned gaming?

Kaffis

First Post
Ferret said:
When you add lead to glass (some how) it magnifies things.

Technically, leaded glass alone doesn't magnify anything. A flat sheet of leaded glass has no magnificative properties. A lens of a given shape (including improvised lenses like drinking glasses) will have stronger magnification properties if the glass is leaded.

This is because leaded glass has a higher refractive index, meaning that a leaded glass to air junction (the edge of the glass, typically) bends light more than non-leaded glass.

Undead Lincoln

First Post
If you leave someone in a hogtie, they will suffocate. The posture makes breathing difficult and eventually impossible.

You can run a thong behind someone's Achilles tendon. Doing so is an effective way of restraining them, but does not lead to permanent damage (barring infection).

Storms create a tide swell due to wind where water stays at the same height for a long time.

Siege weapons have a rather large varience in where they throw, and therefore attempting to adjust after every shot leads to awful accuracy.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I've learned lots of interesting tidbits and trivia about 1881 & 1882 in reserching my western game including:

1. James Toberman completed his third term as Mayor of Los Angeles in 1882. He brought many new innovations to the city including mass transit and electric lighting.

2. The President of Mexico in that year was a former Provincial Warlord named Manuel Gonzales.

3. The French Goverment fell in late January 1882.

4. While the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral happened in 1881, most of the other known events involving the Earps, Doc Holliday and the rest of the Tombstone cast took place the following year.

5. A mysterious Island that appeared and was believed to be Atlantis was sighted and reported by two separate merchant ships in January 1882 and never seen again.

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
Well I told my players how a green dragon's breath weapon would probably kill someone (lungs would fill up with fluid). But I'm also the scientist amongst a bunch of non-scientists.

Iocaine powder is colorless, tasteless, odorless and dissolves instantly in liquid.

My group didn't understand why 'Harryhausen' should be the command word to animate undead, especially when most of them watched all sorts of fantasy movies (or so I thought).

There's others but I can't remember 'em offhand.

hero4hire

Explorer
Krieg said:
FWIW that's about how long it takes in a dedicated crematorium, throwing randon corpses on the campfire is probably going to take a bit longer.

Now the real question is...which organ takes the longest to burn? :]

As I said, that was on a bonfire, like, a funeral pyre, not a campfire. =)

IIRC, I believe during the conversation he said the stomach takes the longest to burn...

Krieg

First Post
hero4hire said:
As I said, that was on a bonfire, like, a funeral pyre, not a campfire. =)

LOL

IIRC, I believe during the conversation he said the stomach takes the longest to burn...

According to my wife (the licensed funeral director) it's the liver.

hero4hire

Explorer
Krieg said:
LOL

According to my wife (the licensed funeral director) it's the liver.

I will bow to the more experienced funeral director....

Question since you have a "source" to ask;

Are all the cadavers that she receives devoid of stomach contents by the time she gets them?

I always assumed the stomach would be similiar to the old camping trick of throwing a full waterskin on a campfire and not having it burn. I am also assuming an empty stomach is easier to burn then a full one. I really have no knowledge of Post-mortem handling, draining, embalming, cremating, procedures...but I find it fascinating.

Remove ads