• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are these things?

I found a picture on an artist's website, http://targeteart.com—specifically this picture, which I'm going to hotlink.

TargeteSplash3.jpg

I liked it, nabbed it for my digital collection, and am trying to find what to do with it. It works very well for me, because my PC's are heading right now for a city that is threatened by a migration of hostile fey, and this guy with his freakadoo Wild Hunt vibe looks very fey-like. Any ideas, however, on what exactly I should stat them as?

I'm thinking of using a megaraptor (maybe with some kind of shadow creature template) on his steed, but I have no idea what the rider would be, or the hounds. If you just saw that picture and had to decide what stats would stand in for them, what would you use?

Last edited:

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Well, I think it's a stylized rendition of the Wild Hunt, set in somewhere like Eberon.

I'd say the mount is obviously a half-dragon, and the rider is something like a Broo from RQ.

And the hellhounds just haven't started breathing yet.

dunno.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Yep, looks like the Wild Hunt to me. . .

There was an article in dragon in the 90s with such a antler-headed forest creature, but why not just make it a powerful druid (or I'd go druid/ranger) who is partially shapechanged as just a cool cosmetic thing, and/or give him a butt attack as well.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
el-remmen said:
Yep, looks like the Wild Hunt to me. . .

There was an article in dragon in the 90s with such a antler-headed forest creature, but why not just make it a powerful druid (or I'd go druid/ranger) who is partially shapechanged as just a cool cosmetic thing, and/or give him a butt attack as well.

<Beavis>

Heh. Heh. You said, "Butt attack."

Heh. Heh-Heh.
</Beavis>

Is Wild Hunt a monster entry somewhere? Or do you mean that more generically—I obviously intend to make this a wild hunt, but I'm on the search for some stats that can serve as "designated hitters." If there are actually Wild Hunt stats somewhere, which book are they in?

Prince Atom

Explorer
As far as I know, there aren't any 3E stats for a wild hunt. The Wild Hunt comes from folklore -- a powerful fey lord (sometimes a demon) who rides through the sky and hunts people with his hounds.

Linky: The Wild Hunt on Wikipedia.

You'd probably do best statting it out for your own party. The Huntsman and his Steed are probably the largest threats, with his Hounds being individually pushovers; but they tend to come in large numbers.

If someone were trying to summon the Hunt, that might make a better story because the Wild Hunt itself is more of a set-piece battle, the climax of a larger mystery. Perhaps the summoner is starting out small, harnessing the power of the Hounds to tear his or her enemies to pieces; prominent folk in the city or town start turning up dead on the moors or in the forests, with not much left to bury. Then whoever-it-is starts making bigger deals with the Huntsman, as the heroes close in, until finally they lose control and the Wild Hunt breaks free into the game world.

They do say, sometimes, that you can avoid being hunted by joining the hunt...

Rhun

First Post
The Whiner Knight said:
As far as I know, there aren't any 3E stats for a wild hunt. The Wild Hunt comes from folklore -- a powerful fey lord (sometimes a demon) who rides through the sky and hunts people with his hounds.

While obviously not 3.X, the AD&D Dieties and Demigods has stats for the Wild Hunt.

I must not have been very clear; I meant all along from the first post that this be the Wild Hunt—or at least the version of it that I'm using for my campaign. What I need are stats that I can use for the wild hunt, with this image particularly in mind as what it will look like.

I think a megaraptor (with the horrid template—great idea there) will be the mount, but I need something that can stand in as the leader of the hunt, maybe with a few modifications from me, and something that can stand in as the hounds. I'm thinking maybe yeth hounds, but I don't remember their CR off-hand. I need the CR of the rider to be somewhere around 7-9.

Remove ads