• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you doing to keep the hobby alive?

Ulrick

First Post
This question came to mind after reading this thread:

Why is there such a fascination with the hobby in decline? Are people afraid they won't have anybody to play RPGs with anymore?

(que in "Starship Troopers" theme music for dramatic effect)

Most importantly: what are you doing to keep the hobby alive?
ARE YOU DOING YOUR PART?

I've been president of a local gaming club.
I've fostered several neophyte DMs who are now running their own games.
I was recently involved in a Dark Heresy Campaign.
Currently I run a D&D 3.5e campaign every other Sunday, but will switch to Pathfinder once this campaign is over.

I run my games as a fun, safe, and friendly environment.

THE HOBBY NEEDS YOU.

GOOD DMING MEANS MORE PLAYERS.

Want to know more? Then share you ideas here about keeping the hobby alive!

ARE YOU DOING YOUR PART? :)

KB9JMQ

First Post
I've enforced the idea that gaming is a important part of their lives into my 12, 9 and 5 years olds. ;)

The oldest two finally play after seeing how having friends over every Sunday afternoon for gaming is a natural and fun thing. Hopefully by me adding 3 more gamers to the ranks is enough but we actively recruit other players when we meet people whom seem interested.

I had started gaming clubs when I was younger but really dont have time for that anymore with most of my free time nowadays going to actually playing the game. Though I have donated books recently to new players who are not in my group and hope they continue gaming.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
I'm running Wednesday Encounters at my FLGS for anybody who wants to sit in.

I'm keeping my 7 yr old son interested in gaming, and as he gets older I'll try to get him to involve his friends in the hobby.

Oh yeah, I also spend my money on more gaming products than I'll ever get to use.;)

MarkB

Legend
It's just a hobby. We play it to have fun. It's no more "deserving" of existing than any other pastime.

If people playing and enjoying games ever ceases to be enough to keep it going (and frankly I see no sign of that happening soon), then at that point it'll deserve to decline, and keeping it around on life-support won't do it any favours.

Wik

First Post
I'm doing absolutely nothing for the hobby beyond purchasing the products that interest me. If my group of friends are the last people playing D&D out there, then so be it - I see no need to go out and crusade to get people on my side.

The world has too many crusaders already. I say - sit down, shut up, and roll some dice, and to hell with the outside world for the next three hours.

evildmguy

Explorer
I run DND Encounters weekly at my FLGS. This season has seen three new people at my table, with tables up from two when I started to four at times. (five or six per table)

I rebooted my Thursday night game, from remote to all local, and that includes one of the new people from the Encounters and some other guys I met through encounters. Trying to get more for a bit larger group but am more worried about space.

I have wanted to get my nieces or nephews involved and have given DND like board games to them but unfortunately was bad about follow up with playing them with them. :( So, within my family, not enough but not sure how to approach them about it. The close one isn't interested, I think. The one who is, is too far away. :(:(

Actually, playing twice a week is a long way from when it was tough to play once a week because my non gamer wife didn't like me leaving to play at someone else's place. For that alone, I'm happy with what I do now!

Remove ads