• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading (Mar '08)?

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Wombat said:
This last weekend I read Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. Not bad, but I am obviously not the target audience. Still, my niece (age 12) should enjoy it immensely. :)

My 14 year old daughter has turned into a vampire fanatic thanks to those books. I've heard about nothing else since she read them (going on 4 times each now).

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I am currently reading Airborne:

This is the story of 15-year-old Matt Cruse, a cabin boy on the luxury passenger airship Aurora. Matt lives to fly, and only in the air can he dream of his father, deceased for two years. When the Aurora finds a drifting, damaged balloon with an old man named Benjamin Molloy inside it, it is Matt who rescues him. Molloy's dying words talk of amazing creatures in the sky and how someone named Kate would love to see them.

S. Baldrick

Explorer
Ebon Shar said:
*gag*! But I hope you enjoy it. I generally enjoy Turtledove, but he should never have touched Conan!

You know, you are the second person that has advised me to avoid this book. I am only about 30 pages in so far but I think that I am starting to see your point...

Dubya

Explorer
I just finished The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie. It is the first book of The First Law trilogy. I will be picking up book two, Before They Are Hanged, tomorrow. It is a pretty good noir fantasy book. I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

Dubya

Last edited:

Tolen Mar

First Post
"Wicked: The Life and Times of The Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maquire.

Its a sort of look behind the events of the wizard of Oz, where we get to see why the witch was as wicked as she was.

I never read Baum's works, so my knowledge of the world is mainly based on the classic movie, its later sequel and that gagfest with Jackson. But so far, this book is far more dark than I was expecting. Almost downright creepy.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Currently re-reading Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson.

On tap afterwards is the Baroque Cycle, while I consider whether or not to purchase the Anita Blake novels after Obsidian Butterfly, which, to the best of my recollection, is the last one primarily about monster-hunting.

Brad

Chaldfont

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
Has anyone else read this. I'm only 50 pages in and my literary warning bells have been going off for the past 20 pages or so. I'm not 100% convinced I should continue...

I only got about halfway through this book. It's a hard read, I think. There were parts where I was thinking it was a great book, but it started to bog down and I never finished it.

I'd like to hear from someone who did and really liked it. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Remove ads