• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading (Mar '08)?

craftyrat

First Post
The Logic of Life, by Tim Harford. Tim is an economist who looks for logical patterns in things most people consider to be illogical (or at least not based on logic).

craftyrat

S. Baldrick

Explorer
I am reading "Northwest of Earth: The Complete Northwest Smith" by C.L. Moore". It is one of the Planet Stories series from Paizo.

Last edited:

evildmguy

Explorer
Hijinks said:
Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison.

I call it "Buffy lit" - the genre of female demon-hunter types. This one is particularly good, typos notwithstanding. Witches, vampires, pixies, fairies, weres... it's kept me interested and is amusing. I like the world she's made up (science is outlawed and supernatural beings are commonplace, but yet living in their own ghettos apart from humans) and the lore about witches and vamps.

My wife got the latest Harrison book and read it very quickly. She loves the Rachel Morgan books. I read books 1 and 2 and was half way through 3 before I put it down. It didn't pull me in like it did with her.

As for myself, I haven't been reading much but the next Kelley Armstrong book, Personal Demon, arrived yesterday! I was just saying I wanted something like that, so have jumped into it.

edg

bento

Explorer
S. Baldrick said:
I am reading "Northwest of Earth: The Complete Northwest Smith" by C.L. Moore". It is one of the Planet Stories series from Paizo.
Lucky dog! :p

I'm still waiting for Amazon.com to ship it to me. I've had it on order since early February.

Chaldfont

First Post
Crothian said:
I'm reading Game Night by Jonny Nexus who posts here. This is very funny book. It might be the best RPG novel I've read.

I'm also in the middle of the Charles Schultz Biography which is also very cool. A lot of research went into this book and I'm just finding it all very fascinating.

I'm currently going through the Otori series, Riverworld, and Island in the Sea of Time trilogy. The Otori series is some great Japanese inspired fantasy. I've been very impressed bt it.

Those Otori books are a lot of fun. I tore through them.

I just finished Pandora's Star, Matter (the new Culture novel by Iain M. Banks), and I'm burning through Christopher Moore's A Dirty Job.

I'm really digging these Christopher Moore books. He reminds me of Carl Hiaasen at his peak, but with more freaky, supernatural stuff (including Lovecraft references and my favorite historical character, Emperor Norton). They are quick reads and very fun.

Starman

Adventurer
I've been doing some traveling for work this past week, so I've had some time to read on the plane.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. This has been on my radar for awhile now and it was every bit as good as people have been saying. I rank it as one of the best books I have read. Powerful characters. Gut-wrenching story. Very haunting.

The Ruins by Scott Smith. This book was good if not great. I enjoyed the story, the setting, and the writing. Most of the characters became annoying, though, so it was hard to sympathize with them. If the characters had been better, I probably would call this a great book. As it is, I can only call it good. I can definitely imagine stealing some stuff for a horror game, though.

d'Anconia

Explorer
A World Without End by Ken Follet.

Just finished Pillars of the Earth and thought it was one of the best books I've read in a long time. The sequel is holding it's own right now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads