What are you reading? - October 2017

Nellisir

Hero
Now, that Kazuo Ishiguro was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature this year, I've decided it's about time I read something written by him.
I was quite impressed by the movie 'Never Let Me Go' based on one of his novels, but 'The Buried Giant' also seems to be quite interesting.

Never Let Me Go messed with my head for months. Recommended.

Nellisir

Hero
I've been travelling a lot, and alternate between burning through books and reading 20 pages in a week. I'll have to figure out what else I've read this month, but have read two post-end-of-the-world books this weekend - Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse, and A World Made By Hand. The latter is (duh) much more thoughtful and interesting, particularly since it's set in an area I'm pretty familiar with. (Just west of Arlington Vermont.)

looking for a book or series where an agency investigates monsters etc? Early 1900's America/London setting would be ideal. Lovecraft inspired would be ideal. everything I have found so far is just either butcher, some vampire woman or gumshoe detective.
Anything like Dr who Unit or hellboy BPRD etc that's more than a comic or shortstory.

I'm reading Steven Brust's "Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grill," for the second time. It's a delightful romp through space and time, completely unrelated to Doctor Who. Brust is the author of the Vlad Taltos series, so this book marks an uncharacteristic departure from his typical style. I highly recommend it.

Non-fiction, I'm reading the Story of Rhino Records by Harold Bronson. It covers the humble beginnings of Rhino as a simple record store which eventually spawned a label and became a multi-million dollar enterprise for its owners. As a fan of novelty/comedy/oldies, it appeals to me on a personal and academic level. Narrated by Bronson, it is hilarious, irreverent and extremely engaging. Highly recommended for fans of the genre, those interested in the history of re-issue records or Dr. Demento fans. Rhino was a major player in sponsoring the show during the 90s.

Next up, I'm planning to check the Harry Harrison novels I picked up a few months ago. They're the Stainless Steel Rat series, for those interested in knowing.

Jhaelen

First Post
After completing 'The Legacy of Vashna' and the follow-up 'The Deathlord of Ixia', I'm now ready to begin 'Dawn of the Dragons' (all from Joe Dever's Lone Wolf series of game books).

'The Deathlord of Ixia' really annoyed me because of the flawed balancing: There doesn't appear to be any way to avoid fighting (and defeating) a Demon Lord you've encountered in a previous book. Only now his Combat Strength is 55 and his Endurance at 60. (For the sake of comparison, someone starting with this book has a Combat Strength of 25-34 and Endurance 30-39). So, even for a fully equipped veteran who made it through all of the preceding 16 books alive, it's a ridiculously tough fight (combat is resolved using a table; you roll a d10 and determine the result of an attack by checking the column that matches the difference between your and the opponent's combat strength. Note, that the table only has columns from -10 to +10 ...). Oh, and as usual there's plenty of 'save or die' encounters and the 'end boss' even has combat strength 60 :(
So, yeah, I guess, I believe that one of the reviewers on Amazon hasn't succeeded after 50 attempts in that final fight.

The writing and the storyline are really good, though.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
"A Shield Against the Darkness" - a novel by Todd Downing in his Airship Daedalus universe, based on the radio plays of the 1920s and 1930s.

Jhaelen

First Post
After breezing through 'Dawn of the Dragons', which was about as ridiculously easy as the 'The Deathlord of Ixia' had been hard, the next installment in Joe Dever's Lone Wolf's saga is titled 'Wolf's Bane'.

Just started Winter Tide, by Ruthanna Emrys, for some Halloween reading. Always up for some Lovecraft reclamation. So far, I’m digging it. There’s an appropriate feeling of longing, and a strange beauty to the tale.

Remove ads