What are your favorite (and least favorite) Star Wars sequences or scenes?

Zardnaar

Legend
It's never occurred to you that Luke was on Dagobah for however long it took the Falcon to get from the asteroid belt to Bespin at sub-light speeds (Remember, they didn't have a working hyperdrive.) has it?

I mean, I was 10 at the time & I figured out that there should've been a caption that read: "And time passed...." That I wasn't seeing these two events play out in real time, but rather snippets.

Ships often have back up hyperdrives I'm SW. They're generally slow.

New canon afaik doesn't cover it, iirc the old does but I would have to look it up.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's never occurred to you that Luke was on Dagobah for however long it took the Falcon to get from the asteroid belt to Bespin at sub-light speeds (Remember, they didn't have a working hyperdrive.) has it?

I mean, I was 10 at the time & I figured out that there should've been a caption that read: "And time passed...." That I wasn't seeing these two events play out in real time, but rather snippets.

Well, that’s even worse then, because it would have taken over a 1000 years to go that distance without a hyperdrive.

Guess your 10 year old self never realized that

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, that’s even worse then, because it would have taken over a 1000 years to go that distance without a hyperdrive.

The movies are only snippets. Old canon and new the three movies cover 4 years in universe. They jump to hyperspace cut to next scene.

Ships in Star Wars both old and new don't go faster than light speed without hyperdrives.

You're both right but there's no way to settle it one way or another based on official canon.

Using RPG material it's 1day 3 hours Dagobah to Bespin and the Falcon has a X10 backup hyperdrive. So 11 days 6 hours.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
This is partially why Star Wars is "science fantasy" more than pure "science fiction" -- not only the Force (pre-midichrolians), but the required suspension of disbelief. Hard SF is significantly the science - and Star Trek explores this in-depth, with many episodes exploring some kind of speculative scientific theory. But Star Wars is not. It really isn't about science at all; it is just set in a futuristic setting.

My point is: Don't worry about the speeds, the transit time, whether it all makes sense. That is like a Trekkie watching and judging Star Wars as if it was trying to be Star Trek. It isn't. It is an entirely different thing.

ccs

41st lv DM

My 10 year old self had no way of knowing the distance between Hoth & Bespin. Or how fast the Falcon actually was. None of us did in 1980.
But we smart ones could tell that "Time passed". That it was like watching Rocky become an awesome boxer via training montage (though we didn't know the term for that).

The Falcon wouldn't receive its class 10 backup drive until it was retconned into place in the early 90s in that one WEG RPG book (forget it's name atm). But that was 12-13 years after I'd simply shrugged & correctly assumed that "Enough time had passed". And it doesn't help anyone who hasn't read random gaming books, EU crap, or googled it.
You watch either version of ESB & you're told nothing about how much time passed between Hoth & Luke's arrival on Bespin. And you won't find one peep about a there being a backup drive.

But yes, my 10 year old self fully understood the idea that (actual) space travel is slow. It'd take years to get to another planet here in our own system. Travel between solar systems at sub-light speeds? HA! That'd take generations+!
I knew what I was watching =/= reality.

Zardnaar

Legend
My 10 year old self had no way of knowing the distance between Hoth & Bespin. Or how fast the Falcon actually was. None of us did in 1980.
But we smart ones could tell that "Time passed". That it was like watching Rocky become an awesome boxer via training montage (though we didn't know the term for that).

The Falcon wouldn't receive its class 10 backup drive until it was retconned into place in the early 90s in that one WEG RPG book (forget it's name atm). But that was 12-13 years after I'd simply shrugged & correctly assumed that "Enough time had passed". And it doesn't help anyone who hasn't read random gaming books, EU crap, or googled it.
You watch either version of ESB & you're told nothing about how much time passed between Hoth & Luke's arrival on Bespin. And you won't find one peep about a there being a backup drive.

But yes, my 10 year old self fully understood the idea that (actual) space travel is slow. It'd take years to get to another planet here in our own system. Travel between solar systems at sub-light speeds? HA! That'd take generations+!

All you can really say from the movies us some amount if time has passed.

It's usually a jump,cut to a scene, cut to exiting hyperspace.

You can tell time has passed between the movies in the OT but everything's an assumption.

I assumed they jury rigged the hyperdrive and it burnt out or something or Dagobah and Bespin are same system.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
If you feel it (Vader scene in Rogue One) was pandering to fans with special effects eye candy, then you must think less for everything else in the movie loaded with fan pandering and eye candy effects. But the fact is that the sequence stands out, not for what it presents (Vader being a total badass) but how it is presented (through the eyes of the common Rebel soldier).

Throughout the movies, we see only jedi stand up to confront a sith with epic lightsaber duels. Everyone else simply cowers or runs away (or is force-choked without being touched). This scene really shows the courage of the Rebels who hold their ground because they must, even for a brief moment, and the consequences of facing against a powerful dark lord. The fact that they used that sequence in one scene - the most appropriate one, and not done repeatedly elsewhere - is not pandering. It was simply rare, and effective, and powerful, which is why it stands out.

I still get chills no matter how many times I watch it! And I prefer not to lose that. Cheers! ;)

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Jyn and Cassian on the beach was very touching, something I didn't expect. Too many movies, esp American ones, are "see how they win" which I find predictable and boring. ESB's Bespin was funny, with Vader saying "I'm altering the deal" line, which I have used to good effect other places, also the part where he reveals he's Luke's father. The run at the Deathstar was good istr there was a video game about it, fairly fun.

Sacrosanct

Legend
]

this thread isn’t about canon, or technicalities, or whatever else. It’s about sequences that we like and didn’t like. I gave mine like everyone else did. That’s the only justification I need. I don’t need to be told how I my feelings are wrong with belittling replies like “even my 10 year old self could figure that out”

Remove ads