• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your gaming stuff mishaps?

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
I've had two books loaned to people who moved away without returning them (Complete Arcane, and Top Secret S/I: G4 Files). These incidents were separated by decades, which is how long it'll probably be before I loan a book to someone again.

I also had my entire dice bag with dice stolen (or lost, but I think it was stolen) in the eighth grade. Never did find out who the culprit was but I did report it to the MPs on base. It was at least $50 worth of dice (in 1988 dollars).

Holy Bovine

First Post
I lost my custom made exploded rhino when I moved in to my new house last year. It was epic, if I ever find it I'll post some pics. I made it from an old rhino chassis that came in a bits box I got off of eBay.

Ok - I cannot be the only one who pictured an African rhinoceros mini in mid explosion and wondering when in the heck any campaign would need an actual exploding rhinoceros miniature. I mean how often would that come into play in any campaign?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Ok - I cannot be the only one who pictured an African rhinoceros mini in mid explosion and wondering when in the heck any campaign would need an actual exploding rhinoceros miniature. I mean how often would that come into play in any campaign?
I can see this guy making that happen.

python2.jpg

Glade Riven

Adventurer
I've already had to sell off some books a few years back, but I've been lucky with some close calls. My hardcover Iron Kingdoms book got dangerously close to getting water damaged in a storage area that was "safe" from such things. Recently I was looking for my setting notes and had forgotten I moved them out of my backup drive (normally I copy, not move stuff from there) after I had reinstalled my OS.

Rythwold

First Post
All this is making me sad - I feel your pain! I don't have any horror stories myself but my father managed to drop a box with almost all his old British Army metal soldiers down a lift shaft by accident in the mid-1970s. Hard times.

Style

Explorer
I once lost a box of AD&D stuff during a flood. It contained a number of boxed sets: City of Greyhawk, Night Below, Ravenloft Forbidden Lore, Ravenloft Bleak House, Ruins of Zhentil Keep, the original Battlesystem, and Elminster’s Ecologies.

I was able to save the contents of the Night Below (but lost the box), and replace City of Greyhawk. I have yet to replace the others with anything but pdfs. I miss the Ravenloft boxes quite a bit, as I love me some Ravenloft. But as far as Elminster's Ecologies is concerned, I won't be in any hurry. Stupid pile of crap. Sometimes floods aren't all bad :D.

grodog

Hero
As a kid attending conventions in north Jersey c. 1983 or 1984, I distinctly recall wandering by the TSR tables in the dealer hall at Northeaster 1 or 2, picking up and looking at the $6 RPGA R1-4 modules, not liking the covers, and putting them back down and not buying them.

In the middle '90s, I sold my original run of Strategic Reviews, The Dragons (the oldest issue I had tracked down since starting to read Dragon with #58 was #11), my original OCE boxed set (bought directly from the Dungeon Hobby Shop) and OD&D supplements, and my original Holmes boxed set (a gift from my elementary school gifted teacher and librarian). I hadn't expected to be playing D&D again anymore at the time, and used the money to help pay off credit cards and student loan debt (so at least it was relatively well-spent). Thankfully I kept anything remotely Greyhawk-related, including my AD&D hardbacks and modules, and I've since replaced the other stuff.

Later toward the later '90s I sold my entire MtG collection, which consisted of ~13K cards from Alpha through ~The Dark (with a very heavy emphasis on Unlimited, Arabian Knights, and Antiquties) to a game store in Kansas City, who paid me half in cash and half in store credit. The store promptly went bankrupt within a month, effectively ripping me off to the score of ~$4K.

I live in tornado alley in Wichita, Kansas, so I do worry about the house's roof disappearing during a storm, which would definitely ruin many RPG books up in the attic. Hopefully that never comes to pass....

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
Threads like this are why I never, ever keep my gaming stuff, or comics (or books at all!) in my basement. In 25 years I've had two books (1 gaming, 1 novel) suffer water damage, and both were from my personal stupidity and leaving them outside. Both were dried out and I still have them.

I did sell 90% of my 2e stuff several years into 3e, and 90% of my 3e stuff a few years ago (and no, I didn't replace it with 4e), and I sort of regret it, but it really was a pain to move around.

I guess I don't have any horror stories. :erm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads