• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your thoughts on ANIME's influence on D&D?

What are your thoughts on ANIME's influence on D&D?

• Poll closed .

Mercule

Adventurer
D.Shaffer said:
Are you going to say this is 'nothing of value?'

Any story can be mined for some value. Heck, I've come up with some of my best adventures watching the worst movies -- it just takes a seed and someone competent to massage it.

You also misunderstand what I'm saying. Those elements that are unique to (or typical of) anime are not value added. Stories are stories. The problem with anime is in the details, not the broad story description (okay, some are in the broad story, but that's true of American movies, too). The problem is in the stylized drawing, the bizarre recurring character types, and the "cutesy" add-ins.

At best, anime is the art of taking a good story and screwing it up by making each component piece (art, characters, voices, running gags, etc.) as annoying as humanly possible.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
D.Shaffer said:
As opposed to say...oh, this? :p
The_Hobbit_DVD_cover.jpg

In any case, it's all a rehash of stuff that's been done throughout history.

MY EYES ARE BLEEDING!

And there's some phantom bleeding going on in my ears, just from remembering the "title song" in that movie. I don't know if it was the title song. It was the only son I heard before I turned it off in disgust.

If we bash one medium because there is bad stuff made for it, we'll have to do the same to all the mediums.
sb02.gif

I rest my case

Korgoth

First Post
All I know is that I had a picture of He-Man riding on Battlecat on page 3, and now that it's gone there's nothing juxtaposed with that SS Tiger IE.

:\ :uhoh: :)

kenobi65

First Post
Jürgen Hubert said:
If I remember AD&D 2E correctly, human characters tended to start in their teens back then as well - and that was well before anime became that popular in the Western World. And I don't know how things were in earlier editions of D&D, but I don't think they were that different.

Not terribly. IIRC, in 1E, fighters and thieves (if you did their ages "by the book") tended to start out in their late teens, maybe early 20s. Clerics started out a little older, but it was magic-users who were the real difference. It was assumed that it took them many many years of study to master even the basics, and so the starting age was in their 30s or later.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Kae'Yoss said:
MY EYES ARE BLEEDING!

And there's some phantom bleeding going on in my ears, just from remembering the "title song" in that movie. I don't know if it was the title song. It was the only son I heard before I turned it off in disgust.

You mean the one that used JRRT's actual song lyrics? From the TV movie that won a Peabody and was nominated for a Hugo? For 1977, the animation was second to none on TV. I mean, I dig if you don't like it, but it was hardly the disaster that the Bakshi Lord of the Rings movie ended up becoming. ;)
normal_3celsBalrog.jpg

Mercule

Adventurer
Kae'Yoss said:
If we bash one medium because there is bad stuff made for it, we'll have to do the same to all the mediums.

I'm not concerned about mediums that produce some bad examples. I dislike anime because I'm not aware of any good examples.

DungeonMaester

First Post
D.Shaffer said:
In anime, most 'magic' (As opposed to chi based martial arts attacks) usually IS proceeded by some sort of chant. It's not to far off from DnD in that aspect. Considering most fantasy anime is directly influenced from DND itself, this probably shouldnt be to surprising.

Some anime has chants for casting spells, other just shout the name. In my games, all magic is granted by Gods, whether it Arcane or Devine, they have to pray to their God as a verbal component.

Attack names ARE shouted, but this most likely is itself taken from other traditions and isnt unique to anime by itself. A lot of times, it's more for the audience so we can identify it. As for the actual NAMES, many martial arts DO have 'funny' names when translated into english, especially the Chinese ones. What sounds more impressive? "Tai Chi Chuan" or "Supreme Ultimate Fist"? Some actual technique names sound equally silly in English. In the native language, it 'sounds' better.

No. At least not at any fencing event or Martial art class do. In fact, even every martial art I have took up to this point taught that Ki is adding force by using breathing. (Breathing in when throwing the attack, and breathing out when connecting) Shouting names becomes out of the question. http://www.enworld.org/showthread.p...e the Monk class, which is very well grounded

Although different attacks do have names, the opponent recognizes it much like a football team could read their opponent's play. Not becuase they are calling them out. ;)

---Rusty

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I know that Record of Lodoss War used animism - Deedlit was invoking nature spirits all the time. Not exactly gods, though it's probably divine magic by D&D's standards (shugenja are divine spellcasters in D&D, and they are priests of the kami)

WizarDru said:
You mean the one that used JRRT's actual song lyrics?

It was less the lyrics and more the way it was sung.

I loved the Lord of the Rings movie.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Kae'Yoss said:
It was less the lyrics and more the way it was sung.

I loved the Lord of the Rings movie.

I liked parts of it, too. I also LOATHED parts of it, not the least of which was Bakshi just ran out of money and started using crayons on black-and-white film. If the latter 80% of the movie looked as good as the first 20%, for example, I think we'd have seen them complete their two-part movie.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
DungeonMaester said:
No. At least not at any fencing event or Martial art class do. In fact, even every martial art I have took up to this point taught that Ki is adding force by using breathing. (Breathing in when throwing the attack, and breathing out when connecting) Shouting names becomes out of the question.

Oh... they are out there. None of my martial arts instruction shouted ("why expend the energy to shout?") but I has seen demos that did. The one I remember in particular was an Akido weapons demonstration. They went through all of the targets and stated the names to the audience (arm, leg, chest, etc). When they spared they were supposed to yell out thier target with the idea being that this will prove that they hit what they were planning to hit and any hit targets weren't by accident. Of course with two people yelling out targets at the top of their lungs I had no idea who called out what to begin with.

There was also a martial arts competition where they held a ki shouting contest. What's the point of having (an admittedly unofficial and for fun only) shouting contest if no one ever shouts?

I can't be sure of the exact schools (I've been trained in the San Soo style of Kung Fu, but I can't state with any certainty there are no Kung Fu schools that shout) but I have seen them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads