What are your (up to) five favorite tunes?

Richards

Legend
Wow - just five, huh? Like others in this thread, my answer would likely change if you asked me this same question daily. But for now, I think I'd likely go with the following (in no particular order):
  • "The Host of Seraphim" - Dead Can Dance
  • "Comfortably Numb" - Pink Floyd
  • "Silent Lucidity" - Queensryche
  • "Waiting for a Friend" - The Pretty Reckless
  • "Two (Oogie Eeha)" - zer0 0ne
Johnathan

Lots of pixie love, and a little hip-hop love from the two of us.
After I saw you and Charlaquin, I got motivated to post in the hope that maybe Dio wouldn’t have the most mentions :p

edit, ask me tomorrow and though the list would be different, pixies or frank black would still be on it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
After I saw you and Charlaquin, I got motivated to post in the hope that maybe Dio wouldn’t have the most mentions :p

edit, ask me tomorrow and though the list would be different, pixies or frank black would still be on it.
Right, Tom Waits will always make the list, but song might switch. No surprise with Dio, gamers love that dude :)

AliasBot

Explorer
In no particular order:
  • Halo Theme - Martin O'Donnell, Michael Salvatori
  • Lean On Me - Bill Withers
  • The Sound of Silence - Disturbed
  • New Divide - Linkin Park
  • The Violence - Rise Against

Did not see that comin!
Don Van Vliet was a bonafide genius; it was tempting to fill all 5 places with his songs.

Right, Tom Waits will always make the list, but song might switch.
I would have included Heartattack and Vine on another day.

I'm basically a sucker for anything with a relentless riff.

BBC World Service had a show on that the other week. I hadn't heard it before and didn't know the story.
Strange Fruit is awe-inspiring/terrifying/poignant/beautiful; it's one of those songs where I still get goosebumps every time I hear it. Nina Simone's version is also awesome.

Speaking of, I'd like to add Lilac Wine, because Snarf had six, which means I can too.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Top 5 I think I can just about manage but I can’t rank them individually against each other. So, a chronological order of the Top 5

Unser Liebe Fraue - Trad. C.16th Cent.
Walkürenritt - Richard Wagner 1851
I Dovregubbens Hall - Edvard Grieg 1875
Finlandia - Jean Sibelius 1899
Mein Kleiner Grüner Kaktus - Comedian Harmonists 1934

Yeah, I’m one of ”those guys”, who actually put on some opera when I want to listen to music 😂 A glass of scotch, opera to set the mood and painting warhammer minis is my idea of a perfect saturday…

Last edited:

Can't go wrong with TKK and Pigface. Both put on a heck of a live show, too.

Both great choices as well. If I hadn't already snuck two extra songs into my list I might have called them out as well. As it is I regret not having included some KMFDM, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, and Pigface tracks.

Tom Waits and Dio, both epic musicians in completely different ways. Except, I suppose, you know their voices when you hear them and no one can imitate either.

Right, Tom Waits will always make the list, but song might switch. No surprise with Dio, gamers love that dude :)

I've struggled and struggled to come up with a top five. And I just can't. I make one pick, and too many other say "but what about me?" So I'm just going with one single pick. From what I'd consider to be the greatest album of all time:

David Bowie - Rock 'n' Roll Suicide 1972

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The Spotify playlist (see link in first post) is now up to 97 songs that will take 8 hours and 9 minutes. I'm only up to number 10 on my listen through...

Remove ads